Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Minor league baseball

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Minor league baseball

While in Phoenix, I went to the Diamondbacks game on opening night with dvd. We enjoyed the F-22 flyover to start the season.

Last night I went to the home opener for our local minor league team (single A level). I enjoyed the Cessna 152 taking off from the adjacent airport and consider that our flyover.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB Planit post about minor league team

Shout Out for
    My fair city has an independent league team that plays in the 3rd oldest ball park still in regular use - Bosse Field.

Last edited by JNA; 15 Apr 2016 at 10:52 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

Minor league baseball is ideal for family entertainment: affordable ticket prices, kid-friendly activities and giveaways between innings (often involving mascot-related antics). Not to mention affordable beers for dad & mom (like 50% what you pay at a MLB game), and frequent food specials like $1 hot dogs and drinks. And after the game there's usually easy/immediate access to the players for autographs.

All in all a pretty good entertainment value. The flip side of the coin is that it's tough to follow teams from year to year as high turnover essentially creates a new team every year. The level of play is typically (and not surprisingly) below that of the majors, but the kids don't really know the difference.

Do you have any minor league teams near you?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

I'll be going to a minor league game when I go back up north. A city relatively close by got a new team and I'm going to try to see a game there.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Both of the Braves' AAA affiliates are in metro Atlanta (the Gwinnett Braves and team that plays in The Ted), and one of their Single-A teams is about a hour northwest of here.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    The Carolina Mudcats, the "advanced" Class A team for the Braves" what ever that means, is the closest team to us. Right now it is about an hour from us. We have not gone to any games, but I hear they are very family friendly.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    The Carolina Mudcats, the "advanced" Class A team for the Braves" what ever that means, is the closest team to us. Right now it is about an hour from us. We have not gone to any games, but I hear they are very family friendly.
    Head over to the town to the west and go to a Bulls game. Great park downtown with good activities next door (and fun planning project too).

Mudcats are fine, but nothing else is around.

I was checking our promotions schedule. There is a certain event every day of the week like Thirsty Thursday, Dollar Dog Tuesdays, Fireworks Friday, etc. One special night is July 16th - Postgame Midget Rasslin'!!! WOO HOO!!!
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Head over to the town to the west and go to a Bulls game. Great park downtown with good activities next door (and fun planning project too).

Mudcats are fine, but nothing else is around.

I was checking our promotions schedule. There is a certain event every day of the week like Thirsty Thursday, Dollar Dog Tuesdays, Fireworks Friday, etc. One special night is July 16th - Postgame Midget Rasslin'!!! WOO HOO!!!
    I completely forgot about the Bulls... (afterall, they are forgettable, it's not like they were ever used in a movie or anything....) we are going to the cub scout night this summer where the boys will get to watch the game and fireworks then everyone will camp on the field overnight. But yes, they are the closest.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Aug 2004
    We have the Dell Diamond, home of the Round Rock Express, in the town next door. Didn't go to any games last year, but have it on my list for this year.

Opening night is tonight.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

NH Fisher Cats, Toronto's AA affiliate, has been in Manchester since 2004...take the family there at least once per season...great value and good baseball...plus a great stadium for a AA team:

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2011
    While in Phoenix, I went to the Diamondbacks game on opening night with dvd. We enjoyed the F-22 flyover to start the season.

Last night I went to the home opener for our local minor league team (single A level). I enjoyed the Cessna 152 taking off from the adjacent airport and consider that our flyover.
    I miss going to those games. Nearest to me would be the Greensboro Grasshoppers. They have an absolutely fantastic ballpark. It's still about an hour drive north so I don't go there often. The Kannapolis Intimidators, Burlington Royals, and Winston-Salem Dash are pretty close too, maybe 10 more minutes than Greensboro. The Charlotte Knights are about an hour and a half away too.

I really want an MLB team here.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    We have the Dell Diamond, home of the Round Rock Express, in the town next door. Didn't go to any games last year, but have it on my list for this year.

Opening night is tonight.
    Express games are pretty fun. It is also worth it to cruise a bit further down to catch some college ball at UT or even Texas State. College ball is a ton of fun. One of the poor souls at Texas State lost some kind of bet and has to have Miley Cyrus as his walk-up music. I love funny stuff like that, that you only see at college ball games.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I miss minor league baseball...I get it two months a year, once in the Spring and the Arizona Fall League.

However the Diamondback have minor league fans... does that count?
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Helena Brewers

I am not a sports fan. But I do like to go to a few games of our minor league baseball team every year. My son was in Little League for a few years and the Brewers has an annual Saturday with the kids.

I just find it a pleasant Saturday summer activity. Get there. Grab some over-priced food and drink. Sit in the stands. Watch the game and other activities at the ball park. The late afternoon turns into early evening. It gets cooler. The sunsets and the lights come up. Pleasant time t spend with the boy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The Binghamton Mets, for some reason, don’t want to be known as the Mets anymore, which is ironic considering now is the time to be associated with their Major League counterparts.

The team opened voting on a new name that will last through June 1 … and the options for fans to choose are quite, shall we say, unique: The Bullheads, Gobblers, Rocking Horses, Rumble Ponies, Timber Jockeys and, my favorite, the Stud Muffins.

(copied from an article, but I couldn't write it any better)

In Savannah, GA, they lost their single-A team (the Savannah Sandgnats) and this year a new team has come in and they are the Savannah Bananas (I'm not sure if it's an independent or short-season rookie-ball team).
    The South Atlantic League have some sane & insane names, as teams in all leagues do. Teams in the SAL are: Shorebirds, Grasshoppers, Suns, Crawdads, Intimidators, BlueClaws, Power, Tourists, Greenjackets, RiverDogs, Fireflies, Drive, Legends, & Braves.

Sometimes the naming just gets out of hand.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    In Savannah, GA, they lost their single-A team (the Savannah Sandgnats) and this year a new team has come in and they are the Savannah Bananas (I'm not sure if it's an independent or short-season rookie-ball team).
    Collegiate summer league team.

Man, I'll miss Sand Gnat games...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Back in the day in Phoenix we used to go to Firebirds games. Always fun and you had a decent chance of catching a ball.

Favorite name, the Hooker Horny Toads down in Oklahoma. I guess it's an American Legion League?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Back in the day in Phoenix we used to go to Firebirds games. Always fun and you had a decent chance of catching a ball.

Favorite name, the Hooker Horny Toads down in Oklahoma. I guess it's an American Legion League?
    I went to Tucson Toros games as a kid.

Many years ago Macon Ga had a minor league team called the Whoopies.

Albuquerque has the Isotopes... when I was a kid they were the Dukes but after the Simpsons episode where the 'Topes were going to move to the ABQ the team was renamed.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    May 2002
    We have several in this region. The city where I work has a "high" A ball team that is an affiliate of the Orioles. The stadium is fairly nice but boring and located along the interstate. The city where I live about 25 miles away is a "low" A ball team that is an affiliate of the Nationals. They play in the oldest stadium for minor league ball in the country. It is not pretty and every year has to get an exemption from MLB because of the deficiencies from their standards. The ownership has been trying to move them for several years now in order to get a new stadium but so far they've now struck out with three different places in Virginia. People just don't want to fund these stadiums anymore using public dollars. So it's funny that they're kind of stuck here for now when they don't want to be.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My last time in Memphis, I caught a Redbirds (St.Louis AAA Affiliate) game with my grandfather... even saw an old high school friend pitch for them while on an extended rehab stint.

There is a Single A team here, the Tri-City Dustdevils, they dont start until June and I think they are in the Padres' system.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Single-A minor league baseball stadium development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 25 Jun 2012, 11:46 PM
  2. The Minor league baseball thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 8:37 AM
  3. Replies: 6