Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your Personal Guinness Records

Registered
    Oct 2005

Your Personal Guinness Records

There are many things the Guinness Book measures. Maybe even in your lifetime you might get an entry due to some unique talent.

Occasionally, however, we all have moments of personal accomplishment that should be shared and appreciated.

My top records:
    • One of 14 Tubas players to cram into a bus bathroom while driving on the interstate (and didn't need the jaws of life to get us out) - my most proud one
    • Took my roomie from our apartment in Piscataway to Newark Airport and back in less than 1 hour (kjel and Mario Andretti can appreciate that one)
    • Made a connecting flight in Houston (IAH) with only 20 minutes between flights (Terminal B but opposite wings - for those of you who travel, you know).
    • Drank 100 unique beers in just over a year (and counting)
    • Balanced a cup of water on my knee during an entire movie in high school just to impress a girl, it worked for a few weeks
    • Woke up after 8 am and got to work on time (starting time 8:30).

I'm sure there's more I can think of but for now this will have to do.

What are some of your personal accomplishments?
    @GigCityPlanner

-Concocted a list while a teen of Bergman films I wanted to see and saw about 30 of them, at one time owned about 20 Bergman videos before DVDs.
    -Typed 100 wpm in 8th grade during a typing test.
    -Never spoke a word of French until I was freaking 38 years old and now I speak French and tomorrow is my birthday and I will be 49.
    -As a kid a Monarch butterfly that was flying repeatedly around our house outside and ran around our house over 20 times just because it was fun to follow it.
    -I worked a job were I worked one week on and one week off, and the week on I would work 10 hour shifts totaling 70 hours and did that for two years.
    -Oh, I painted about 20 portraits from my imagination the years after I finished art school.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    My top records:
    • One of 14 Tubas players to cram into a bus bathroom while driving on the interstate (and didn't need the jaws of life to get us out) - my most proud one
    Wow how do you drive a bus while being crammed in a bathroom with 14 other people? Did you have your tubas with you?

My Guiness records?

Bought my first pitcher from a bar at 13.
    Visited the Guiness country estate (if you are ever there, contact me so you don't get made a sucker like I was)
    Toured the factory at St. James Gate.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    - I got a job offer for every interview I ever did up until the age of 35 (then I promptly did three interviews in a row that did not result in an offer)
    - I had a girlfriend who cheated on me for an entire year before I found out....and that was only after she told me.
    - I once drank 20 Hamms during the course of a day at the beach (and suffered sunburn afterwards that blistered for weeks)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Fastest annexation done in under 5 minutes
    Got drunk, took the boat back to my ship and threw up a record 6 times, the old record was apparently 3.
    I wonder if I hold the record for largest consumer of Dr. Pepper, I usually drink about 4 a day.
    Crammed 14 people in a Grand Am in high school after a TP party.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    • I can touch the tip of my nose with my tongue (take that Gene Simmons!)
    • I can stick my entire fist in my mouth (take that Steven Tyler!)
    • I can also sing as high as Steven Tyler...a falsetto E6. Skip to the 14:00 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Q1BKTxQf0. Yep, I can sing those notes...and I have. Karaoke three years ago, and in the car quite often.
    • I went to my 9:30 geography class the morning after my 21st birthday party (which involved a long night of complete drunken debauchery with two dozen of my closest friends, injuring my hand, and passing out on my bathroom floor) and I proceeded to take the exam that morning and got a B on it!
    • I can draw a map of the entire Chicago metropolitan area by heart (correctly identifying and labeling at least 95% of all of the Chicago suburbs, all the counties, limited-access highways, and rivers) in about 20-30 minutes.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Top post count on Cyburbia and Plus Clube member.
    Drove between NJ & Utah in a Plymouth Duster with NO A/C 3 round trips.
    Had two becoming legal age to drink parties - 18 in NJ and then 21 in Utah.

Forgot to Add my Word Record List Titles for each of these feats

WORLD RECORD LIST TITLES

1. WORLD RECORD BERGMAN VIDEO COLLECTION IN ALBUQUERQUE NEW MEXICO
    Concocted a list while a teen of Bergman films I wanted to see and saw about 30 of them, at one time owned about 20 Bergman videos before DVDs.
    2. WORLD RECORD TEEN TYPIST
    -Typed 100 wpm in 8th grade during a typing test.
    3. WORLD RECORD FOR OLDEST BROAD ON EARTH WHO LEARNED FRENCH
    -Never spoke a word of French until I was freaking 38 years old and now I speak French and tomorrow is my birthday and I will be 49.
    4. WORLD RECORD FOR MONARCH BUTTERFLY CHASING TURNS AROUND A HOUSE
    -As a kid a Monarch butterfly that was flying repeatedly around our house outside and ran around our house over 20 times just because it was fun to follow it.
    5. WORLD RECORD (personal record) OF PROVING I COULD WORK 70 HOURS IN A WEEK FOR YEARS AND NOT DIE!
    -I worked a job were I worked one week on and one week off, and the week on I would work 10 hour shifts totaling 70 hours and did that for two years.
    6; WORLD RECORD FOR PAINTING PORTRAITS OF PEOPLE THAT DIDN'T REALLY EXIST
    -Oh, I painted about 20 portraits from my imagination the years after I finished art school.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    About half a glass. Don't really care for the stuff.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    During the summer of 1999, I got drunk 22 days straight. It was probably the low point of my life, thanks to girl that destroyed my heart. Good thing I met my future wife about a month later when I got back to college.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    1) While I like Guiness, I don't think I have drank more than three in any sitting.
    2) Hiked the Bright Angel from top to bottom and back up in one day. I was much younger and 30 pounds lighter.
    3) Fit 42 people in a dorm room. Hours later, three guys and four women had not passed out, although we all were more or less naked.
    4) Lived with nine dogs in the house. Three have been adopted. Anyone want a dog?
    5) First person to map Hart's Perimetropolitan Bow Wave Effect using data on relocated manufacturing establishments.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I forgot that with my 21st Birthday party, there were several other records set that evening:
    Most times ordered pizza delivery in one evening: 3 (all from the same place)
    Most scars sustained in one evening: 4
    Largest carpet stain from spilled beverages: about 12 inches x 18 inches. We were never really able to get this stain out and would refer to it as the "Black Sea".
    Most uncompromising photos taken in one evening: somewhere between 60 and 100...both of me and of other people too
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Hoover

I knew someone who was famous at sucking spilled drinks out of carpets. He was able to suck out 70%, we figured.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I think I have set a few records in my day...

- Ability to draw all 50 states with correctly placed capitals in 5 minutes or less!
    - I have amazing powers over electricity! I once (on a bet) told my friends I could turn on power with my hands. It was as the sun was going down and I touched the nearest streetlight pole and at that very moment I touched it the street lights turned on. Cheers erupted and money was made.
    - Uncanny ability to tell what type of shampoo and/or conditioner a women uses by feeling her hair (I did it once at a party in high school and was right all three times)
    - Most different and diverse sports competed in and medals won by any one individual (Swimming, soccer, track and field, distance running, mountain biking, road cycling, triathlon, powerlifting, strongman, highland games, rock climbing, tennis, table tennis), plus won the school spelling bee and scholastic bowl competition
    - Most buildings peed on in a single summer (did this one summer in college when bored, lucky I didn't get caught!)
    - Once drank one of every different style of beer all in one day (pilsner, pale ale, ESB, porter, stout, irish stout, brown ale, IPA, double bock, triple bock, altbier, kolsch, cream ale, milk stout, dortmunder ale, schwarzbier, rauchbier, malt liquor, pale lager, hefeweizen, lambic, etc.) I did not feel good the next day.
    - Best Army Physical Fitness test score while hungover and with no sleep (a perfect 300!)
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I have 3 threads split out of RTDNTOTO in 24 hours, not bad.

Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO8. Wow, looks like 4 now. Hey, if you're gonna do this, then let's do it right!
    Last edited by Maister; 10 Apr 2013 at 11:39 AM.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

bumpy

Fastest meeting set with NCDOT official - called and asked if we could meet in a couple days, he said he was 5 blocks from the office and came by right then.
    I had a Planning Board meeting last 7minutes
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Ca 1975 - Age 10. 1 of 40 people to be crammed into a VW Beetle. I believe it was a record for the highest number of people in a VW at the time. We all got free pizza afterward/

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    • Skied in -40 temps
    • Walked the perimeter of the national mall (Lincoln to Capitol) with 3 kids under 7 years old
    • Flew 1000 miles on day 1, ran a tough mudder with friends on day 2, and flew a 1000 miles on day 3. *Doing the same thing again this fall)
    • Attended the very first Stan Fest and the first new person that I met up with that day was Bear Up North while sitting at a bar
    • Spent 3 days on a canoe trip through the Michigan wilderness

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Fastest meeting set with NCDOT official - called and asked if we could meet in a couple days, he said he was 5 blocks from the office and came by right then.
    I had a Planning Board meeting last 7minutes
    HOW?
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Only Cyburbian who is a volunteer for the USGS National Map Corps with over 2,100 structure points edited.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy 14th birthday Guinness!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 2:26 PM
  2. Public records requests
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Feb 2006, 7:55 PM
  3. Public records requests in FL
    Friday Afternoon Club