Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Exercise classes

Registered
    Feb 2004

Exercise classes

So we upgraded to a family membership at the Y and now Mrs. Maister is wanting to know (in all innocent sincerity) which of the following classes I want to take with her:

zumba

yoga

or pilates

It occurs to me that men and women tend to approach exercise differently. With women, group classes are very popular - critical in many cases - but guys tend (no, not exclusively, but TEND) to either engage in sports as part of a competition (e.g. handball, basketball) or engage in workouts as a solitary pursuit. I confess I actually participated in yoga sessions on a couple of occasions some years ago but the whole time it felt kinda weird, in a man card suspending sort of way, as there was only one other guy there out of a class of about 24.

Have you ever taken an exercise class? What kind of class was it and what was the male : female ratio?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Have you ever taken an exercise class? What kind of class was it and what was the male : female ratio?
    I used to do a class that these days would be called "crossfit" three times a week and the male:female ratio was probably about 20:0.5. Strangely, all us guys liked to dress alike too.

These days I take a spinning class at my health club and I'd say that it's about a 1:1 ratio. However, I go in the early morning but the few times I've gone in the evening after work, the ratio is more like 1:4. I prefer those evening classes. I once went in the middle of the afternoon when I had a random weekday off and I was the only guy in a class of about 20 women. I didn't care for that.

I've taken a few "boot camp" classes at the health club and there's usually only about 12 or 15 people in the class but I'd say maybe a third of them are men.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Does taking Tae Kwon Do classes count as an exercise glass? I'm a Y rat. It's my version of going to a bar. I don't do classes and have my routine. As for the classes, I would try pilates. Yoga does tend to be largely a female thing.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I've done some of the spin or boot camp classes. Those work you hard enough that there's no man card problem. The ones you listed seem more of a stretch or aerobics style class which would most likely kill me, but not what I would be interested in. If I did actually exercise I'm more of the solo running or weight lifting type.

To preserve your man card in the yoga class, just stay in the back row. We all know you're not there for the exercise.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'd do the pilates if forced to choose one.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I took a class for a few months called total fitness. It was about 80:20 mostly guys. It was intended for cutting fat and building muscle and included free weight lifting, ball exercise, and cardio on off days.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The guys at my gym don't seem to take the classes, but they spend a lot of time around the studio door.

I don't take classes. I don't change direction well.

Registered
    May 2005
    I have never taken an exercise class. I have nothing against the idea and I suppose if my schedule was more conducive, I might. But as it stands, I have one friend I bike with regularly and a few others I ride with less often. Outside of that, I run by myself and anything else is a group event (boating trip) or solo strength building.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Yoga does tend to be largely a female thing.
    Huh... I know lots of men who do yoga. Pilates and Zumba, not so much.. but Yoga, for sure.

I've never been to a class (unless you count ballet in 2011, ratio 5f:1m). Or a gym.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    What is this exercise thing you are talking about?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I started a beginers Yoga class a few months ago. currently I am the only male, however I have noticed that the advanced classes have more males in them, but there are more females than males.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Has anyone taken the Carmen Electra Strip-Aerobics or Pole Dancing Workout classes?

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Has anyone taken the Carmen Electra Strip-Aerobics or Pole Dancing Workout classes?
    Since you bring it up, I bet you have!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Maybe a martial art. I just can't see myself doing the rest. Especially with the tights.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Since you bring it up, I bet you have!!!
    No. But my wife has.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I have not. A lesser-known actress who graduated high school with me teaches classes like that. Or something like it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Other Exercise - Crossfit
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Oct 2013, 3:08 PM
  2. Your Home's Exercise Equipment
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 18 Mar 2005, 4:42 PM
  3. Fat People Who Exercise
    Friday Afternoon Club