Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GOP debate

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Somewhere between hard left and hard libertarian

GOP debate

Ron Paul owned that debate. I haven't seen a candidate that I would honestly give my time and money up for support until now. Go Ron Paul 2008!!!! Check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peBGJwE9NXo

What says you?
    Last edited by Grassroots; 13 Jun 2007 at 3:48 PM. Reason: misspellings
    Jesse Ventura in 2012!

"Inside every small problem is a big one trying to get government funding"

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Grassroots View post
    Ron Paul owned that debate. I haven't seen a candidate that I would honestly give my time and money up for support until now. Go Ron Paul 2008!!!! Check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peBGJwE9NXo

What says you?
    Who's Ron Paul?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    He ran under the libertarian ticket in '98. He is now running as a Republican to get his foot in the race. He is gaining tremendous popularity on the net right now as a viable candidiate. At the GOP debate, you basically had nine neo-cons and him. He ran against all of them as a true conservative: anti-war, anti foreign intervention, pro free market, pro choice, pro gun right....literally pro choice on everything. He is tagged as being pro life but strongly believes the federal government has no powers others than those delegated by the Constitution...the way it should be. So, he believes the States should be deciding abortion policy and not the heavy hand of the Federal government. He has an incredible message that is apparently resonanting with a lot of independents and pro-liberty voters who have had a hard time voting for worthy candidiates (i.e. me) and is pulling members from both the Democrat and Republican parties with his message. Check hin out at:

www.ronpaul2008.com

He was on the Colbert report last night and is now Bill Maher's (sp?) self proclaimed new hero. He is a physician, a veteran and is now apparantly standing toe to toe with Guliani on foreign policy. After the GOP debates, he gave Guliani a history lesson on Amercian foreign policy and gave him a reading list.

Check out the other debates on youtube. Go to the youtube site and type in "Ron Paul" and check it out.

Ron Paul 2008
    Jesse Ventura in 2012!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Scratch the surface... his record in Texas is, how should I say it, interesting. He votes against virtually everything without consideration of the impacts (fiscal, etc.). In fact, some people affectionately nickname him "Dr. No".

He is a refreshing breath of honesty, which should be admired, but many of his policy beliefs are dangerous (particularly environmental & education). However, policy stances often blur as they are forced to work together with the other branches of government. His position in Congress gives him the latitude to be a hardliner in his beliefs. He is extremely intelligent though, especially when it comes to foreign issues.

He absolutely destroyed the other candidates in that debate though, but I think risks becoming the Howard Dean of the Republicans this election. You can only be so anti-establishment before people decide you are nuts.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Understood. I would willing to bend on some important issues now for REAL change in the establishment. You are right. It is not like he is going to get in there and change everything overnight. That is the power of checks and balances. I appreciate his honesty, articulation, education, and knowledge of history. Plus, I like to see real debate in the conservative camp other than the typical neo-con dribble that is dragging the country in the toilet right now and written by some flunky speechwriter. I don't even think he needs a speech writer. He stands for real Consitutional-driven government. Something we have been lacking for decades. Plus he is not taking any corporate donations and is basing his candidacy on individual donations. Go look up where Romney and Guiliani and all the other quacks are getting their money from. No one can say that folks with as much money in their campaign funds as them are not slaves to some form of corporate or special interest. I don't care what crap comes out of their mouths that says the contrary. He may not be 100% behind my beliefs, but what candidate is? He is at least 85% and that is good enough for me. What you can say is that he is consistent...even while working in TX as a nine term congressman. Watch how Fox news and the rest of both the conservative and liberal media push him to the fringes because he speaks the truth.

As long as he does not get on stage and YYYYEEEEHAAAAAA like Howard Dean, he gets my vote.

Vote for real change.

Ron Paul 2008
    Last edited by Grassroots; 14 Jun 2007 at 2:26 PM. Reason: typos
    Jesse Ventura in 2012!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Survivor Race Debate?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 15 Sep 2006, 10:38 PM
  2. Tonite's Veep Debate 10/05