Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ever have a case of Schadenfreude ?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Ever have a case of Schadenfreude ?

I have experienced it with the whole Paris Hilton mess.

You ask what is Schadenfreude ?
    "pleasure taken from someone else's misfortune"

Any other celebrity situation that qualify ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Try commuting 60 miles everyday....Schadenfreude in ample supply. Such as the jerk speeding and weaving through heavy traffic getting nicked by the police.....hah.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I enjoy watching high profile fundamentalists/televangelists take a tumble from grace and humiliate themselves like whenever Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggert, Jerry Falwell, or someone of that ilk say something really ridiculous (e.g. the gay teletubby debacle)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Yes....once upon a time in Portland it snowed and I still had to go to work commuting eastbound on Hwy 26. A jerk in a 4x4 was riding my bumper and I refused to go any faster than I was on the snowy/icy road. Finally, he zipped around me and zoomed off into the distance. Lo and behold I see Mr. 4x4 rolled into a ditch and him standing on the side of the road trying to wave someone down. I slowed down, rolled down the window, and gave him the one finger salute and went on my merry way.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

My favourite moment has got to have been the row of cars parked on double yellow lines (i.e. no parking), half on the pavement, outside a shopping centre in Guildford several years ago. They all had their emergency lights flashing as apparently this makes it ok to park in illegal places and block walkways. Imagine the delight of this little pedestrian when a traffic warden started at the front of the queue and started writing tickets.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Oh yeah, and let's not forget about the die-hard libertarian guy who searched far and wide all over the state to find a community that did NOT have zoning (evil commie planners and guvmint types, you know). Of course he eventually found his 1.5 acre paradise to build his homestead....... and of course the following year the farmer next door sold his land and a racetrack got built 300 feet from his house!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    "Everything is funny so long as it is happening to someone else." Will Rogers.

Like Maister, I take pleasure from bad things happening to the holier than thou crowd.

Any misfortune that could occur to Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, or Dubya makes me smile. The list goes on, but I think you get the gist.

Celebrities: wierd ones, like Tom Cruise and Michael Jackson are fun to revel in their nutiness.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Any misfortune that could occur to Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, or Dubya makes me smile. The list goes on, but I think you get the gist.
    I suspect you mean any ironic misfortune that befalls those folks leaves you feeling vindicated. Rush Limbaugh getting cancer is tragic, but Rush damaging his hearing due to his own illegal drug abuse makes you feel all puppy dogs and daffodils inside.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I think that schadenfreude is a natural human reaction to preserve the ego. It helps us to put things into perspective within our own mind. Now is it nice, not really. It also causes a case of bad karma, but hey...we are human.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Feb 2003
    This morning I had a case...An administrator for a municipality that shall go unnamed resigned voluntarily after recieving a disorderly conduct ticket becuase he refused to leave a bar at closing time.

About a year a half a go this administrator interviewed me for a position and asked if I planned to have kids, if that would interfere with my work, and how old I was. Then proceeded not to hire me (not that I wanted to work there after the question above) because "as young as you are I would have a hard time justifying you to my board."

No I didn't sue. I have learned what comes around goes around.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I feel a little guilty about it, but I was happy to hear when my jerky ex-roommate accidentally got his crazy girlfriend pregnant. He thinks he was entrapped- she's 36 and wants a baby... but he's to blame, too.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I enjoy watching high profile fundamentalists/televangelists take a tumble from grace and humiliate themselves like whenever Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggert, Jerry Falwell, or someone of that ilk say something really ridiculous (e.g. the gay teletubby debacle)
    Totally!!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I wrote a song long ago called, "Holiday in Other People's Misery", about the secret delight people take in other's suffering, particularly, car crashes, fires, and storms. I witnessed that last weekend cleaning up the storm damage at my in-laws. Lots of gawkers, no one stopping to help.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm....

Quote Originally posted by GISgal View post
    This morning I had a case...An administrator for a municipality that shall go unnamed resigned voluntarily after recieving a disorderly conduct ticket becuase he refused to leave a bar at closing time.

About a year a half a go this administrator interviewed me for a position and asked if I planned to have kids, if that would interfere with my work, and how old I was. Then proceeded not to hire me (not that I wanted to work there after the question above) because "as young as you are I would have a hard time justifying you to my board."

No I didn't sue. I have learned what comes around goes around.
    I heard that being under 40 is not a protected class and while they shouldn't be so obvious about the age question, not hiring you because you are too young isn't a problem by itself. Whether this is unethical treatment.....most likely.

Asking about kids is ridiculous and sexist to say the least

I like to see hypocrits FALL
    Skilled Adoxographer

Just about any time one of the NY Yankees ends up on the DL.....

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    A smirk...!I like watching Chevy Suburbans driven from Texas to ski at a toffeenosed Colorado megaresort speed past me on I-70 in a snowstorm and end up in the ditch.

A Smile...! When spolied rotten developers who clog our office with their requests for expeditied reviews, plowing under wetlands, and general spolied developer stuff; finally get what's coming to them and their project go away...

A Hearty Belly Laugh...! Spoiloed prima donna stick figure celebs who cry when finally made accountable to society...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have really enjoyed seeing a couple of backstabbing, unethical managers forced out of their government positions... after treating their employees like dirt (but that's never why they're let go, upper management never notices that kind of thing).

Another fun one is seeing the high-school primadonna at the 20th reunion, looking like crap. A related theme is seeing a snooty trophy wife dumped for trophy wife #2.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Try commuting 60 miles everyday....Schadenfreude in ample supply. Such as the jerk speeding and weaving through heavy traffic getting nicked by the police.....hah.
    Amen to that!

I loved it when some punk kid (around 15 or so) was riding his bike in and out of traffic in front of me... until when someone opened a car door. He was not too banged up, but the girls that he was trying to impress stood there laughing at him as he was draped over the cars door jam.

I smiled as I drove by.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Having a Plan B just in case
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 09 Oct 2013, 12:04 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 08 Jul 2013, 11:55 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Nov 2005, 12:54 AM