Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Developer as reference for public sector job

Registered
    Jan 2005

Developer as reference for public sector job

Does anybody think this is a bad idea? Ever done it before? Do you think planning managers would look favorably/unfavorably at it?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Without developers you would be out of a job.
    I thought there wasnt supposed to be any bias?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've used attorneys that represent developers. Didn't seem to bother anyone. I don't think it's unfavorable.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    When you say job is this for employment or for a bid (sorry, I look at the word job differently in the private sector).

If you are applying for a job, use references who will attest to your skills relevant to the job description.

If you are preparing a proposal, you can include references on the sample project's cut-sheet or group them all on a separate sheet. Most of the time I really don't think it matters if you use developers, municipal planners, key stakeholders, etc. The intent of references to provide contacts who can attest your ability to complete the project. I think the only time it might not be good is if you are working with a group that is very anti-development, but even then I don't really think it's a big deal.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    By all means, use the developer. Last time I was in the job hunt, I had diverse references to show ability to get along with, well, diverse people: local news reporter, co-worker, developer, homebuilders officer, commission chair.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Absolutley, I did the same thing. If you work well with the people you serve (the public and the development community) you will do well in this biz.
    Satellite City Enabler

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I did it once and they said that I was fair and honest and open-minded (fooled them )

but yes, if you know they will say something to this effect about you, that's a good thing...

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I think it is a good thing to show that you have good relationships with developers. It is really important in public sector jobs.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh yeah....

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Does anybody think this is a bad idea? Ever done it before? Do you think planning managers would look favorably/unfavorably at it?
    Not a problem....I did this recently by using a previous manager from a home builder. One of the best people I've ever worked for/with on either side of the fence It would be a plus in my book.
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Public sector planning versus private sector
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 08 Jun 2007, 10:56 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 10:09 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 2:27 AM
  4. Private or Public sector?????