Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is chain link fencing bad for the environment?

Registered
    Jun 2007

Is chain link fencing bad for the environment?

My husband and I need to redo our backyard fence. We've found out that PVC is extremely harmful. We don't want wood. Too much maintainence. The local home reno stores don't carry bamboo fencing. Is chain link okay for the environment? Everything has a negative impact on the planet, but is chain link okay compared to other alternatives? Please help.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here's my take:

PVC: Petroleum distillate product. Not the most "green" material. Cost to the environment per foot? Not measured as far as I know.

Wood: Renewable resource. A "green" material. Will take some effort on your part over the long haul, but so does reusing canvas grocery sacks. Cost to the environment per foot? Not measured as far as I know.

Aluminum: Mined, smelted, anodized. Not the most "green" material. Cost to the environment per foot? Not measured as far as I know.

Go Wood.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Look at Omega Fencing it is similiar to chain link though the wire mesh pattern is a bit more pleasing and a bit heavy in gauge than the wire they use for chainlink.

With the right pattern and in black it can be virtually transparent.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I would agree with Chet... unless maybe you could afford wrought iron? The chemicals in pressure treated wood are pretty nasty.

I made my own picket fence out of wood...made the pickets, etc...full knowing I will have to replace them sooner since they aren't full of chemicals.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think chain link should be eliminated because it's ugly- especially in the front of houses. In a backyard, with shrubs and flowers, it would look a little better.

I'd do wood as well. Stockade fences look pretty nice and give nice privacy.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Those who live in high crime areas should remember that fencing like stockade does little but provide protection/privacy for those who want to break into your house, remove your central air conditioner, steal the siding off of your garage, or use your yard as a place to crash.

I am not getting rid of my chain link fencing.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Most chainlink is galvinized and that process may have some envriomental impact. Wood fencing should be from a sustainable wood source and or recycled.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Storage facility fencing
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Jun 2011, 5:07 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 22 Mar 2007, 2:32 PM
  3. Fencing swimming pools
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 17 Nov 2005, 5:10 PM