Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: paid to learn?

Registered
    Aug 2005

paid to learn?

NYC has proposed program where students will get paid for showing up at class and good marks on standardized tests. NYT-article

do you think the program will work?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

No no no no no no no no no no

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Its sounds like a strategy to improve test scores for a failing school district so the feds don't take it over through NCLB.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Its sounds like a strategy to improve test scores for a failing school district so the feds don't take it over through NCLB.
    It does sound that way - but it's really not. NYC's schools aren't failing, and by many measures are pretty decent - especially for a large urban district.

It's another Bloomberg proposal to try something new. I can't say that I'm really in favor of it, but it is, for lack of a better word - bold.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My school gave a cash reward for perfect attendance from K through 12 upon graduation (13 years of perfect attendance). Usually one or maybe two people could get it each year in a class of 600-700. Local businesses also used to offer freebies for good grades--you show them your report card and you could get things like a free personal pan pizza at Pizza Hut, etc; the idea being that the parent(s) bring junior to get the freebie, and they end up buying something else as well.

Getting paid to go to school like its a job? Rediculous. But hey, at least Bloomberg was trying something new.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 19 Jun 2007 at 4:26 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    It does sound that way - but it's really not. NYC's schools aren't failing, and by many measures are pretty decent - especially for a large urban district.

It's another Bloomberg proposal to try something new. I can't say that I'm really in favor of it, but it is, for lack of a better word - bold.
    A third of schools are not passing, I would consider that failing. 12 more schools earned a failing grade bring the total up to 421.

You are right that for a large urban district NYC is doing better but still has a long way to go.

Here is where I found my information:
    http://www.nysun.com/article/46512/
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sure....

What better way to develop good little capitalists I mean why bother trying to develop personal motivation How about giving A students a pass to skip school twice a semester or something?? B students get one day...whatever.....

Is this some kind of rebate program to the student? You get a portion of "your" tax dollar back for being a good student? How about a program that pays people for not owning a car?
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Personal pride, accountablility and responsibility takes another hit..

(Shakes head...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    A third of schools are not passing, I would consider that failing. 12 more schools earned a failing grade bring the total up to 421.

You are right that for a large urban district NYC is doing better but still has a long way to go.

Here is where I found my information:
    http://www.nysun.com/article/46512/
    I wasn't trying to say that they were doing well, but just that they aren't trying to get taken over by the Feds.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    OH come the #@$*(# on. This is the dumbest thing that I have heard all day... and it’s been a long day. Why don’t we send a person to carry everyone’s books, do everyone’s homework, and wipe every ones A$$!

It is stories like this that further make me loose any respect for liberal policies. Here’s a better idea... a guaranteed scholarship if they spend their entire school lives in NYC school system, graduate, and get into a state funded university. (No Community Colleges)
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    OH come the #@$*(# on. This is the dumbest thing that I have heard all day... and it’s been a long day. Why don’t we send a person to carry everyone’s books, do everyone’s homework, and wipe every ones A$$!

It is stories like this that further make me loose any respect for liberal policies. Here’s a better idea... a guaranteed scholarship if they spend their entire school lives in NYC school system, graduate, and get into a state funded university. (No Community Colleges)
    A liberal idea, I guess - but proposed as a "market-based" system by a Republican mayor.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    What about a swift kick in the a$$ to the parents who don't make sure their kids a) go to school b) do homework and otherwise perform at an average level c) don't show up to conferences/fail to return communication with teachers or counselors?

What a crock.

Quote Originally posted by CJC
    A liberal idea, I guess - but proposed as a "market-based" system by a Republican mayor.
    This just in.....Bloomberg quits the GOP!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post

Hmmm...I wonder if he's preparing for a presidential run...hmmm...

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

That must have been an interesting budget session that put that one through
    Perhaps they could send some of their extra funds to those of us who could put it to a more practical use Like employee raises for doing a good job

This is ludicrous

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Why try when you can go on welfare?. That was NYS's thinking back in the 80's (when they advertised for people to come to the state due to its generous welfare program) and maybe still today.

I got paid for going to school and doing well. In fact, I'm still getting paid for it, and I always will be. I'm making maybe $10K more per year than non-college grads. And even the HS grads are happy, because they're not stuck saying "would you like to try a combo meal" for the rest of their lives like some of the drop-outs.

I understand, however, that money can be a reason to miss school or drop out entirely. Believe me, I have seen it first hand -- does a kid go to school, or does she work at McBurgerJoint to make some money so her family can have heat in the winter? It's a horrible choice to have to make.

Unfortunately, paying kids to go to school is only a bandage. Will it hold out long enough for a generation to break the cycle of poverty? Probably not. First of all, it's not just about showing up, right? It's about good marks. And good marks can be hard to get when you're living in a broken home. I've seen that, too.

Sure, the idea could help a few kids and their families, but I don't think it will have the impact the city is looking for. There are root causes that need to be addressed, and those absolutely cannot be addressed simply by tossing around the Almighty Dollar.

(What? I don't like tossing around the Almighty Dollar? But what about my ramblings in Random Thoughts? ... Like I said, it's a bandage. You use a bandage to stabilize a situation until you can fix it for good. I know what I'm going to do to augment my bandage. What's NYC going to do?)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Arts, Crafts, & Getting Paid
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jul 2013, 12:57 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last post: 25 Feb 2005, 12:52 AM
  3. All my studying paid off
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 04 Jun 2004, 4:43 PM