Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How about a pretend trip to Mars?

Registered
    Sep 1999

How about a pretend trip to Mars?

Call for candidates to spend 17 months in a spaceship mockup as part of research by the European Space Agency for a trip to Mars:

http://spaceflight.esa.int/users/ind...l=16&page=2203

Well, I'm not fluent in Russian and don't belong to any of their targeted professions, but even so, I am sure I would not be able to spend 17 months cooped up in this tiny facility.

Anybody think they have the temperament/psychological profile to handle this?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Just thinking, imagining trying to do something like this for even an hour makes me want to run outside. I have the WORST case of being in small spaces. I don't know if its claustrophobia or what but I cannot go under water for any period of time ( imean I can go under but I have to come right up, I have no desire to snorkel/dive nothing like that), I cannot sit in a room without any windows, I cannot sit in a room with the shades/blinds closed. I don't know I am just weird about it...I do ride in elevators, I would never want to be stuck in one but I have no problem being in one, no problem being in a car (but I never use the A/C, windows always down)...so just the THOUGHT of being inside that thing for even a few minutes really, really freaks me out....I think I have already started to sweat and my heart is beating faster....not a chance of this chick doing anything remotely close to this!!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Not me, I am a people person. Sometimes I want my distance but people are definately needed.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I could learn Russian on the way there... I am worried about learning martian once I arrive!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Thanks but no thanks!

Coincidentally, I just was watching an interesting show on public television last night about this and other aspects of space exploration. One of the things that struck me was the pronounced loss of muscle mass that happens during these endeavors. This is the effect of zero gravity over a prolonged period of time. When the Soviet space program introduced strenuous exercise for their cosmonauts they still returned having lost muscle mass and had lingering physical issues.They were able to exit their craft under their own power but just barely. Another thing also mentioned was the psychological toll taken on these people. Over time, issues of irritability, even to the point of belligerence, as well as the loss of certain mental capacities happened. A Russian cosmonaut was still experiencing these things once he returned to earth.
    Now, one could argue that this is the result of the Soviet system of training vs. the American one, but similar things have been said of our scientists after various space shuttle launches. Ironically, we send the most mentally and physically trained people into space because they fit the profile for withstanding the awesome things that will happen to their bodies, and they unfortunately returned damaged.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

I think Budgie, Rumpy, Jaxspra, The One, Zman and Zoning Goddess should be the crew for the 500 day test mission......

It would be like the movie ALIEN I'll let you guess who the crazy robot and Alien would be and which one would be Sigorney Weaver...he he he..... As for me....I'd be the guy that explodes after eating spaghetti

Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I think Budgie, Rumpy, Jaxspra, The One, Zman and Zoning Goddess should be the crew for the 500 day test mission......
    I wonder if the accomodations allow for a couple carboys of fermenting IPA and bathtub mint juleps. If that is allowed, then I think we can do this.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004

It would be like the movie ALIEN I'll let you guess who the crazy robot and Alien would be and which one would be Sigorney Weaver...he he he..... As for me....I'd be the guy that explodes after eating spaghetti

What would RJ do without ZG for 500 days???? I think we would have to let him on as well...then again a 500 day supply of wine may not fit inside the contraption (and thats just the wine, I'll need 500 days worth of vodka !)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    (and thats just the wine, I'll need 500 days worth of vodka !)
    I thought you people from The Lou just went crazy for bath tub mint juleps? Or is that more of a Branson thing?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'm game. Send the Enterprise and I'm ready.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I thought you people from The Lou just went crazy for bath tub mint juleps? Or is that more of a Branson thing?
    Mint juleps??? WTH is that?? Must definately be a Branson thing...I am a vodka, whiskey or tequila girl myself (um, perhaps I have a problem??) nah, just depends on the evening (or morning or afternoon....JUST KIDDING!!)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not to correct you zmanPLAN
    but-
    mint juleps are only consumed on that one saturday in may in Louisville, KY.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Considering that I'm almost a hyper active soul ( my staff keeps threatening to stick a tracking collar on me) I don't think I'd be a good candidate. That being said, I would love sitting foot on another planet. A Sci-fi buff's dream come true.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra View post
    What would RJ do without ZG for 500 days???? I think we would have to let him on as well...then again a 500 day supply of wine may not fit inside the contraption (and thats just the wine, I'll need 500 days worth of vodka !)
    I had RJ listed at first.....but then decided that Jaxspra would be better eye candy for that long a trip

I could bring my SimCity Card game for the trip What would that feel, smell like to not have a shower for 500 days What if someone did go plum MAD just as you reached Mars....I'm talking homicidal and psychotic Wouldn't that make the rest of the trip fun What if one of the women got pregnant a couple of months in....then had the baby in space!!! I'm blowing my own mind with this stuff.....still kinda fun to dream up all the stuff that could happen
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I had RJ listed at first.....but then decided that Jaxspra would be better eye candy for that long a trip
    So what am I, the lady Planet of the Apes chimp rep on the flight?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    With the ADD, I'd need a lot of books, computer games, and Concerta to remain sane during such a trip. I'd also need Internet access to pull it off, but several light minutes away the lag time would get to be frustrating.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Day 252: "Stop farting!"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hey....

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    So what am I, the lady Planet of the Apes chimp rep on the flight?
    Ahhh...NO! Better pull back on that attitude there, or else I'll replace you on this mission with TN

You put the eye in eye candy
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Planning on Mars
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 13 Oct 2008, 5:58 PM
  2. Water on Mars!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Apr 2005, 2:02 PM