Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bid results

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Bid results

How available are bid results for planning projects for local governments to the general public? I know some communities will have data available on their website. The dollar amount for each firm is listed, and often divided according to scope of services.

After the bid has been awarded, can the original bid be viewed by the general public? As a consultant, I would like to know as much as I can about what other competiting firms are doing and not doing.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I don't know if it's different in your neck of the woods, but in my ~15 years in consulting, I have rarely seen a formal release of bid results for planning projects. Once in awhile, I'll come across meeting minutes (e.g., of a city council, town board, or planning board) that specify the proposals received, from which consultants, and for how much, but that's about it. I suppose if someone was really interested, they could find out the amount of the bids... but I don't know if an actual written proposal would be made available to the public.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We put a bid tabulation summary up on govbids, but that's it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2003
    Just ask. In my experience, I have found that most municipalities will share with you why they chose someone else over you, including the price. If they are unwilling to share, well, let it go and hope you can do better next time. Don't FOIA the information, it just makes them mad and ensures you won't be on their RFP list for the next project.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Most any bid should be open to sunshine laws, if your state has them. You would just need to ask the Purchasing Department (or whatever entity takes care of this) to see the bids. They may require you to submit an "official" inquiry in writing so that they can recoup the cost of the research and printing involved.
    Satellite City Enabler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Week 20 Standings & Results
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Feb 2007, 8:04 PM
  2. The results are in....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 09 Nov 2006, 4:48 PM
  3. Week 5 Standings & Results