Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Know of any sustainable transportation strategies?

Registered
    Jun 2007

Know of any sustainable transportation strategies?

Hi there,

I have recently started work on a project looking at rural transportation issues in Nova Scotia. The first stage of the research involves looking internationally at government transportation strategies (at federal, provincial, and municipal levels), particularly those with a strong emphasis on sustainability. I've had some success locating information on such strategies in the UK and parts of Australia, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any other strategies that may fit into this area.

I was particularly wondering if there are any pieces in English about such strategies in other European countries, or any good general references about this area...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

thanks...

http://www.vtpi.org/

Look under their TDM Encyclopedia as well as their Documents. There should be something useful there.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/ppasg.htm
    A link to the US Federal Highway Administration Land Use & Transportation page. Might take some digging, but there are probably some helpful things there as well.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'd also recommend that VTPI online resource- I use it all the time. You should look at TDM strategies, transit orientated development, and low-emissions tranportation systems.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I'm only an advocate, but I'll add this link since it fits your description, and I'm sure is not in either of the databases suggested thus far.

http://www.skytraincorp.com/

Good luck.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Jul 2002
    If you're interested in sustainable transport strategies from New Zealand, you can go to www.google.co.nz and search for "sustainable transport" within New Zealand. You'll find examples of central, regional and local government strategies.
    Off-topic:
    I discovered when I searched myself, that NZ has the second highest rate of vehicle ownership after the U.S. - 1.8 million cars for 4 million people!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. HUD Neighborhood Revitalization Strategies
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Apr 2004, 11:06 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 30 Dec 2003, 6:41 PM
  3. County ED Strategies
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Sep 2003, 11:15 PM