Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: County planning interview

Registered
    Jun 2007

County planning interview

Hi I am going in for an interview with the county for Assistant Planner. I was wondering what types of questions I should look forward to so I can study up in the appropriate areas. I do not have any schooling in planning but in Construction Management. I have been working for Commercial Contractors and Residential Contractors for the past three years so I have some experience out in the field but not specifically planning. Any help would be great! Thanks,

Registered
    Feb 2007

What County?

PM me at the inbox for some insider tips if your applying for a county position in the area (Sacramento Metro/Central Valley).

Typical questions should probably include how you interact with the public at the counter, basic knowledge of zoning and general plans, any CEQA knowledge (California Environmental Quality Act), knowledge of GIS, and probably if you can read a site plan (which i assume you can). Those seem to have been my basic questions from assistant level interviews a few years back.

I recommenced you pick up Fulton's California Planning as an aid to study up prior to the interview and breeze through "the basics" as well as Curtain's California Land Use Law and Planning book.

Registered
    Jun 2007

Can't PM

I am unable to send PM's for some reason. The County I am applying for is Sutter County. Any insider tips would be great! Thanks for the advice on the books to get because I was wondering which ones to pick up.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Be yourself. Part of an interview is seeing how you will fit in with the organization. If you try to be something that you are not and you get hired, you may not fit in when your true colors show, and you will be miserable.

Don't try to fake answers that you don't know, it is easy to tell. No one expects assistant planners to know that much about planning except on a very general level.

Answer the question. I always hate interviewing people that dodge around questions and never really answer them. If you are unclear on the question, ask them to repeat it.

Be concise, don't ramble.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. County Planning a liability?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Sep 2011, 2:39 PM
  2. Pre-interview advice: Mendocino County
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 03 Dec 2010, 12:11 PM
  3. Airport Planning vs City/County Planning?
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Oct 2008, 4:29 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 8:43 PM
  5. County v city planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 25 Apr 2007, 12:33 AM