Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: To accept or not?

Registered
    Jan 2006

To accept or not?

I currently work for a consultant and love 50% of my job and HATE the other 50%. The 50% I hate includes slaving for hours and hours for BIG Development. Not that I have a problem with this kind of work, it's just not for me.

I recently interviewed for a City planning position and received a job offer this morning. While the salary is lower than what I make now, it is still reasonable (money is not everything ... but it's sure a nice start). However, this is not my dream job; but does that really exist for a planner with 1 year experience out of grad school in the Midwest? While it's not my dream job, it is a significant step in the right direction and would get me a lot closer to that future vision.

My question is this: Do you hold out and wait for that dream job even though it may take a year or two? or Do you take the new position and hope to get experience and knowledge that is more applicable to what you want to do long term and maybe end up loving the new work?

Cons to New Position
    - Less $
    - Longer Commute

Pros to New Position
    - Fewer Hours (current position pays overtime)
    - More relevant long-term experience
    - Better benefits

Any thoughts would be helpful.

I made a very similar transition from my first job to my second (and current). I believe that if you think the new job would make the "dream job" more attainable (by being more closely related), you should take it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    If you live in an area where there are lots of opportunities (and you think something better will come along), I would hold off on changing jobs for several reasons:

1. You will earn less + longer commute time = losing money. Money might not be that important now, but its better to move up rather than down in the long run.
    2. Your 50/50 love/hate relationship with your current job is probably better than a lot of entry level people. Yes, there are things you don't like. The same can be said for any starting position, but there are other parts that you like.
    3. Put in more time in your current job. In some firms, 401k and profit sharing don't kick in until you have been on the job for a year. You don't want to appear unloyal to your employer swtiching jobs every year.

I am on the conservative side when it comes to swtiching jobs:
    (1) stay on for at least 18 months before moving up to the next job(you get more retirement benefits and you can roll over your 401k)
    (2) stay on for at least 6 months if you could care less for your job (at least this might give you enough time working with a boss if you need a letter of recommendation from him later down the road)
    (3) get out immediately if you can't stand the job.

4. This is a step in the direction you want to go, but it not necessarily what you ultimately want to do. Why take a pay cut when the first available position comes along? You might regret your decision if you see a more promising one come up later on and say to yourself "damn, why didn't I just wait".

Just because you interviewed and were offered a position, you are not obliged to accept the position. You can tell the potential employer that you have re-evaulated your career goals and that they aren't fully in line with the needs of the job. Any good employer will not take offense to that.

However, if you instinctually feel that this is "the job" and you really want to do this, I would just go for it.

Hope this helps-

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Feb 2011, 8:54 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 16 Sep 2009, 5:09 PM
  3. Replies: 38
    Last post: 11 Apr 2006, 5:10 PM