Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Online portfolio or resume?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Online portfolio or resume?

I'm thinking of putting one up, but was looking for examples. Know of any good ones? Anyone have one? Advice on the do's or don'ts?

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    i am working on my own website (it has been a work in progress on and off for the past four years).

Do's.

-Include your resume.
    -Include contact info.
    -Register your own domain name.
    -Use a web-hosting service. I prefer aplus.net (or any service that cnet.com recommends).
    -Test your website on several different computers. Remember, not every computer has the most up to date microsoft internet explorer, netscape navigator, mozilla, opera, etc.
    --Be creative with fonts, but make sure they are legible. Design your website with a default font as well, such as arial or times new roman (not every computer has your desired font located in their computer directory.
    -Advertise on goolge on dmoz.org
    -Copyright your website. Do not copyright your work unless you own it (and this shouldn't include coursework unless it is a scholary work).
    -Use adobe flashpaper to display images and PDF's.
    -Use Macromedia Flash (Dreamweaver and Frontpage are alright, but I like a little more creativity and flexibilty in my design).

Do not:
    -Show anything you think is inappropriate.
    -Have a link to your myspace page (with pics of you and your buddies getting drunk, again see the inappropriate.
    -Have a flash intro (it takes a lot of time to put it together, and no one pays any attention to it).
    -Have complicated flash animations (they might look cool, but they can be distracting).
    -Use thumbnails for your images, especially if they are small with low resolution (you won't be able to make them out).
    -Use one long page with scroll bars. Categorize different samples on different pages. For example, on my home page, I will have subheadings for planning, GIS, illustration, design, resume, and news. Each subheading will click onto a new page, where there will be more links to each individual work sample. When you click on the link, you will either have a pop-up window with graphics and an abstract or the link will open into a PDF.
    -Include ALL of your professional work. If someone wants to see specific examples I would recommend designing a self-installing CDROM that loads up with a web page of sorts on the CD with the actual samples.

Hope this helps

I could not disagree more with the above post regarding using Flash. Above EVERYTHING ELSE, use w3c-compliant code and standards. Not everyone, despite its widespread adoption, uses Flash. To wit: those without administrator access on their computers (more common in larger organizations) cannot install Flash, and even if it IS installed as an Administrator it will occasional futz out when run from a non-privileged account. Your goal is to make sure as many people as possible can read your site. Consider CSS, readability enhancements (think those little dongles that allow you to increase/decrease font size on the fly), and so forth.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    And now for a completely negative point of view...Don't bother, it will just be a waste of your time. Only headhunting firms mine online resumes, and headhunters are only used for the top executive positions. You are better off tweaking your resume and cover letter, and then searching the APA and Planetzen websites. If you are looking at a particular area of the country some of the state APA website post jobs as well.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I disagree with that. If you are in a design-heavy area of planning, I think employers would consider it an extension of your design portfolio. As mentioned before, I think limiting the work samples available on the website is safer (and putting them onto separate tailored CDs to specific people who request that info is safer). I also don't think that checking out the APA chapter websites is enough (its a stepping stone which should accompany networking).

If you are going to work for yourself or plan on doing planning on the side (which I do in addition to my main planning job) then it is a "business" in which case I think a website is an invaluable tool. There aren't too many that I have seen so far (I have a very small isting of planners and landscape architects who have their own website). Based on the past four years of working on my own website and scouring the internet for comparable websites, I think it is a trend that is still in its infancy. With the development of myspace, blogging, etc. it is still a while away before individual planners and LA's start designing and managing their personal online portfolios, but I think it can take off overnight.

I have one (linked within my portfolio) which has been "live" since my MCRP graduation 3 years ago. I can't say that it's definitely helped me land the two jobs I've gotten, but it certainly didn't hurt. Keep it simple.

Registered
    Apr 2007

Online Portfolio

Quote Originally posted by Plan 9 View post
    And now for a completely negative point of view...Don't bother, it will just be a waste of your time. Only headhunting firms mine online resumes, and headhunters are only used for the top executive positions. You are better off tweaking your resume and cover letter, and then searching the APA and Planetzen websites. If you are looking at a particular area of the country some of the state APA website post jobs as well.
    I actually didn't get two jobs because I didn't submit a portfolio.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Writing samples on online portfolio
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Jul 2011, 12:12 PM
  2. Online portfolio thumbnails
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jul 2011, 12:10 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Feb 2010, 10:56 PM