Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Conservation subdivisions

Conservation subdivisions

Does anyone have a good ordinance for conservation subdivisions? Thanks! John Elsden, City of Taylor, TX

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We don't, but I'll try to give you some samples from within Texas: Flower Mound, TX has one. Also, you might check with Travis County, TX--I think they were working on something as well. Those are the two that immediately pop into my head, but I think there are some others as well.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well.....

Try Larimer County Colorado or Douglas County Colorado............or Great Outdoors Colorado.....or some other place in Colorado......
    Skilled Adoxographer

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

I'm gonna pry this one open again...

...because we're the early stages of developing a conservation subdivision ordinance. I've located a couple of examples, including Leon County FL, but more would be helpful. We also have Randall Arendt's work on the subject. Any other tips or advice in getting it through the elected officials would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    We just adopted a new ordinance in October.

Attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I put in a PUD for the outlying areas which functions as our conservation subdivision ordinance.

Our Land Use Ordinance is on the town's website www.barharbormaine.gov and the search engine is great on the Ordinance - we just changed it to take out the affordability requirement and increase the open space designation so it's more strictly a conservation subdivision - PM me with any questions -

Registered
    Nov 2005
    The North Georgia Water Conservation District and the Atlanta Regional Commission recently released draft Conservation Subdivision regualtions. You should be able to google it.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Oct 2005
    It is very hard to boiler plate a conservation subdivision ordinance. I should know I was starting to begin one this time last year. You can take good ideas from other areas but it really hinges on what your underlying zoning is and how aggressive your planning commission or elected officials are willing to be. In my case the density was already so high we would have had to down zone prior to attempting to give back density for conservation. If you have an area with 15-50 acre zones then you are prime for conservation subdivision zoning by giving a mere 10-15% bonus density for in kind land contributions. Plan on taking about 6 months to a year for this ordinance to see the council's desk.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Subdivision All subdivisions as PUDs?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 May 2010, 11:26 PM
  2. Subdivision Antiquated subdivisions
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Jun 2009, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Sep 2008, 3:05 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 16 Dec 2004, 9:39 AM
  5. Subdivision Subdivisions