Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Power line corridors

Registered
    Jun 2007

Power line corridors

I'm looking for info resources on land uses in power line corridors....any tips/links would be appreciated?

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Can't think of a resource, but we are examining the possibility of a public/private trail for a linear 'park'.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In most instances I have dealt with, the transmission company has an easement which includes the land that would typically not be developed due to impacts of the transmission lines. Of course, the US government and the transmission companies will tell you that there is no threat, regardless of how close you may be. Even if that is true, though, there are aesthetic impacts. We usually identify transmission lines as greenspace corridors, or plan uses which will not be impacts, such as industrial development or parking lots.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Also, because the power lines have 'blazed a trail', there are many instances where established power line corridors have later on been used for transportation purposes, usually as routes for new freeways/motorways and major streets, with the new right of way going right adjacent to the power line.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2002
    The power company in this part of Florida won't let anyone in or near those lines for any reason, including a linear park. They do occasionally allow agreements for cattle grazing around them, but that's usually due to some landowner that has an agreement that has been in place for decades. They have been approached on numerous occasions with the possibility of putting a wireless antenna onto one of the structures, and like the idea of the lease money and admit it won't interfere with their power lines. However, the final plan is always vetoed due to control - they simply won't allow anyone else near the lines and the cell carriers aren't about to let an electric worker maintain their equipment. Hopefully your power company is a bit more open to ideas.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by plnrgrl View post
    Can't think of a resource, but we are examining the possibility of a public/private trail for a linear 'park'.
    So are we. It is sad that these unsightly corridors are often the only place left for a contiguous trail in many urban areas.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    So are we. It is sad that these unsightly corridors are often the only place left for a contiguous trail in many urban areas.
    I totally agree. Unfortunately, most of the local governments here don't like to invest in public space, so that's what we have to resort to.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Power Line Easements

Quote Originally posted by solarstar View post
    The power company in this part of Florida won't let anyone in or near those lines for any reason, including a linear park. They do occasionally allow agreements for cattle grazing around them, but that's usually due to some landowner that has an agreement that has been in place for decades. They have been approached on numerous occasions with the possibility of putting a wireless antenna onto one of the structures, and like the idea of the lease money and admit it won't interfere with their power lines. However, the final plan is always vetoed due to control - they simply won't allow anyone else near the lines and the cell carriers aren't about to let an electric worker maintain their equipment. Hopefully your power company is a bit more open to ideas.
    This is a complex issue about which I am no means expert, but I have some experience. I am owner of land subject to one of these older easment contracts. I have the right to any use that does not interfere with the power companies needs. They are limited to the voltages and number of lines in the contract. The contract is only 2 pages. I am presuming that the power company was not allowed to take the land itself because that would divide my property and land lock it. In fact they could divide the entire county that way.
    It is not up to the power company alone to allow another use of the easement. It would need the OK of the land owner as well. They do not have the right to sub lease, at least not on the older contracts.
    Power companies have sometimes allowed cable lines etc. and been sued because they neglected to inform the landowner that they were renting his land.
    Progress Energy in Florida is really sloppy about the maintenance of easements. They inspect by helicopter and do maintenance by sub-contractors who are not probably well paid.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 12:41 PM
  2. Freight corridors?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Aug 2010, 6:29 PM
  3. Improvements for commercial corridors
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Feb 2008, 10:25 AM