Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Certificate program or another MA?

Registered
    Apr 2005

Certificate program or another MA?

I received my undergraduate degree in urban studies in 2004 and my Masters in geography in 2006. I've been working for a non-profit think tank in DC around metropolitan policy and urban market reinvestment. However, I'm leaning more towards a career in urban planning. While I gained some critical technology and analysis skills through my Geography MA (GIS, for example) I know I am lacking in education around more formal planning concepts (real estate, zoning, some economics, etc). I am wondering what opinions might be out there regarding the value of getting another Masters, this time in Urban Planning, or just taking a certificate course to fill in the gaps.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Have you actually found a certificate course for planning? I've never heard of such a thing. That said, you don't always need a planning degree to be a planner. It definitely helps, but at my last job the other staff planner had a BA in Geography, that's all.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Several universities offer the option of taking courses towards a certificate, which would help if I later decide to pursue an additional degree. However, I'm thinking more in terms of taking classes. I suppose my real question should be: if potential employers are looking at my resume, will they be satisfied by courses taken if I have no degree to "show" for it?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    The only way to know for sure is to ask potential employers directly. If they prefer a degree, certificate, experience then you will have your answer.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 11:04 AM
  2. Certificate program?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 Dec 2008, 4:01 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 9:46 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Feb 2006, 2:45 PM