Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planners with second jobs?

Registered
    Mar 2005

Planners with second jobs?

Do any full time planners have part-time jobs on the side that don't interfere with night meetings? I'm looking to pay off my debt faster. Any ideas?
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by gicarto View post
    Do any full time planners have part-time jobs on the side that don't interfere with night meetings? I'm looking to pay off my debt faster. Any ideas?
    If you can sling suds, do some bartending work Friday and Saturday nights. That's when they typically need the most help.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Get a part time job that allows you to work the evenings you don't have meetings to go to. I would recommend getting a job as a bartender, whether you like to drink or not. It's legitimate and easy to make good tips on a flexible schedule, plus you get to improve your social skills: if you can handle an angry drunk you can handle any plan commissioner

Other than that, do work from home. Advertise your skills on craigslist. Or maybe even take a part-time job on the weekends. Granted, this might be harder with a family.

You can also moonlight. I do this on occassion. I found out my company has a no compete sort of clause in the company manual. My boss who runs the firm says its not enforced but we can't use company letterhead, etc. do our own contract work on the side. Be careful though and check first with HR: some work places prohibit all types of moonlighting and you can terminated immediately if caught.

Finally, if you are really pinching your pennies for paying back student loans, ask for a forbearance on your loans. The US Department of Education Direct Loan program will allow up to a 12 month foreberance, although you can re-negotiate that later. I think they will allow up to an 18 month foreberance on economic hardship, but don't quote me. I am doing this now so I can put together an emergency savings account and start building up a Roth IRA (which will be used in conjunction with my 401k in retirement). I am not sure what the policy is with private lenders.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    With a baby on the way and debt piling up, I delivered newspapers for about six months. Not a lot of money but it only took about an hour and a half a day and did not interfere with my work schedule.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I hear working hours are flexible in the World's Oldest Profession....
    Oh wait, you're a planner. Is that redundant?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahhh.....

Someone want to dust off that AICP ethics rule?? Something about not working outside the primary job without written approval from the jurisdiction..... Now, of course, if your not AICP and there is no company policy......you can go nuts
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Someone want to dust off that AICP ethics rule?? Something about not working outside the primary job without written approval from the jurisdiction..... Now, of course, if your not AICP and there is no company policy......you can go nuts
    The AICP code, part B says:

B: Our Rules of Conduct

We adhere to the following Rules of Conduct, and we understand that our Institute will enforce compliance with them. If we fail to adhere to these Rules, we could receive sanctions, the ultimate being the loss of our certification:

<snipped>

4. We shall not, as salaried employees, undertake other employment in planning or a related profession, whether or not for pay, without having made full written disclosure to the employer who furnishes our salary and having received subsequent written permission to undertake additional employment, unless our employer has a written policy which expressly dispenses with a need to obtain such consent.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I had a friend that drove a morning school bus route for some extra cash.

Bartending is a very good option--and probably more interesting than other positions.

Another friend of mine does landscape design and installation as a side job, but intentionally keeps his client list short so he can run it solo a keeps his project scopes small.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    When I did contract work on the side, I always presented the contracts to my full-time employer just to make sure there were no conflicts of interest (there weren't). After a while they just gave me the green light

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Side-jobs for planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 17 Jul 2009, 3:36 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jul 2008, 1:13 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 26 Jul 2007, 4:41 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 05 Nov 2006, 8:36 AM