Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Music That Sums You Up

Registered
    Feb 2004

Music That Sums You Up

Just about everyone likes music, but certain bands and artists resonate or connect with us more than others and often for reasons that go even beyond just their music. Maybe you like the image a band projects, maybe you think a certain artist sums a personal philosophy you can agree with better than any others. Maybe their music itself emotionally transports you so much more strongly than any others. Maybe you like a band's politics, or their attitude.....or whatever. It could be for any reason, but the question is - what musical group or artist do you feel resonates most or establishes themselves as kindred spirits to you? (and no, that's not necessarily synonymous with 'who's your favorite group'?, although it could be)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Hmmm that is a crazy question. I guess mine would be a complex mix of Toby Keith, Kid Rock, Smashmouth, Fall Out Boy, and Dave Mathews…. With just a hint of the Beach Boys tossed in! Each of them do something that may not be classified as the most popular, but they do what they feel is right for that moment in time. They all raise some bit of controversy from time to time, but they work for the music, which society adapts to, they don’t adapt to society.

I much prefer music that has a story behind it. Crap like Justin Timberlake, and Jessica Simpson make me want to rip my ears out with a snow shovel.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Hmmm that is a crazy question. I guess mine would be a complex mix of Toby Keith, Kid Rock, Smashmouth and Dave Mathews…. With just a hint of the Beach Boys tossed in!
    The fact that we are multi-faceted creatures is a good point, but the question was which one most sums you up, not which one totally sums you up. If your answer is a total sum-up you are probably either a Deadhead or a Parrothead and are typing your answer to this post on a laptop in the back of the van you live in!

Seriously, this is a more difficult question than it might at first appear to be.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I would say that Pink Floyd sums me up. Their songs are like putting mood swings to music.
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Sep 2001
    The album that sums me up best is

The Who's Quadrophenia
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    That's a no brainer for me.......

U2
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am a Parrothead.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I am a Parrothead.
    Parrotheads Unite !!!

(Although sometimes I think it's "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2005
    Allmand Bros.... From deep soulful blues (Not My Cross to Bear) to light jams that go on forever (In Memory of Elizabeth Reed). There is not an activity I want to do on a sunny Saturday in summer or late in the midnight hour that can not be accompanied by a Allman Bros song.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I am a Parrothead.
    Me, too!! This works out well, since I live in FL and can get to the beach (with a margarita in hand) pretty frequently.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    New Kids on the Block
    New Edition
    Spice Girls
    other assorted crap bands

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    New Kids on the Block
    And here I always had you pegged as a 'Soft Cell' kinda guy

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Deadhead here.....

moz

Morrissey.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    eclectic
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Parliament-Funkadelic

. . .only for a white guy

Registered
    Jul 2002

tunes

I guess "Dazed and confused" about sums it up.

Registered
    Mar 2002

I guess alot of us are Parrot Heads

Godo mix of stuff depending on the mood Im in

Humm perhaps "Son of a Sailor" as my father and his father before him were men of the sea and well it fits even if Im a girl. Besides I got that tropical blood, I hate the cold, and need my nap every afternoon.

Yup time to head to the hammock

Oh yes throw in
    Destiny's Child - Survivor
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Nick Cave, Tool, Pink Floyd, Brian Eno,Bad Religon,Savage Republic, The Cramps, Wagner, Holst and DeBussey. These artist sum up my being/existence.

Music is only a notch below my Family in terms of importance.

Genres of music I am into Range From Iris folk, Punk Rock, to Ambient. I hate anything that was created soley as a means to make money.

Caught between the longing for love
    And the struggle for the legal tender
    Where the sirens sing and the church bells ring
    And the junk man pounds his fender
    Where the veterans dream of the fight
    Fast asleep at the traffic light
    And the children solemnly wait
    For the ice cream vendor
    Out into the cool of the evening
    Strolls the pretender
    He knows that all his hopes and dreams
    Begin and end there
    The Pretender, Jackson Browne

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I will let me avatar speak for me on this...that and it makes M'skis want to rip his ears out with a snow shovel.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Rock With You--Michael Jackson

Kanye-
    Tupac
    Stevie
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 27 Jun 2007 at 5:08 PM. Reason: double reply

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Today's answer: "Billy The Mountain" by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. I have always used this famous (albiet censored) verse as my theme:

"A mountain is something you don't want to fxxx with, so don't fxxx with Billy, don't fxxx around....."

Tomorrow's answer will probably be different. Maybe a little Beethoven's 9th.....

Bear

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Probably ZZ Top but there are days, probably flashbacks, when it's Widespread Panic

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Where do you get your music from?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 Aug 2011, 11:43 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Aug 2004, 1:46 PM
  3. Music?
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 0