Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How long before you KNEW they were the person?

The moment I first laid eyes on her, but it would take me quite some work to get close to her while all my friends were saying she was out of my league. They were wrong, of course, and we had a flaming-hot relationship before she ripped my heart out, spat on it, and stomped it into the ground.

I wasn't sure my wife would be the one until she said yes to my proposal.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    After reading this thread, I feel like I have missed a life experience that many have. As I recall, I never had that "AHAA" moment with my X. We had known each other as friends for 2 years before we were "a thing". When I met my X, my heart didn't jump.

However, I have met a few (a very few) number of ladies who have made my heart jump. But Alas, it seems that if I'm interested in them, they aren't in me and if they are interested in me, I'm not interested in them.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2005
    It took a while for me, I had just gotten out of a 10 year relationship and my SO had not dated in a number of years. I would say that it took about 6 months before I I had the "AHAA" moment and decided to check in with my feelings. I am glad that we inched towards it instead of jumping right in, I think that it helped in this circumstance.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have felt it a few times, but have yet to have the feelings reciprocated.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Mine was from a kiss, but we didn't get together. Then 4 years later.... we chatted about that kiss...and within the year we were together...and together now for 11 years. We have our ups and downs...but are still very committed.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

1st date, she immediately stopped seeing the other guy and that was it. Though I must add that we had seen each other in Krogers twice and talked for more than a hour each time. We also hung around each other during a singles x-mas party.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have stayed away from this thread because I didn't know how to answer it - and with a glass of wine under me now I guess I can

I am not sure when it hit me, really, for when we met, I knew he was special, and while dating, it grew, so, he grew on me, I guess, over time - so no fireworks, it just molded over time - maybe that's not such a bad thing though because I really can't imagine my life any other way after 20 years now

for him, when we met, he went back to his house he shared with a bunch of guys in college and said he had met the girl he was going to marry and when they gave him crap about it, he bet a gallon of gin that we would get married - unbeknownst to me until our engagement party when all these gin bottles started showing up

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I wasn't sure she would be the one until she said yes to my proposal.
    This is the same boat I am in. While I was sure that I wanted to spend my life with her, sometimes I always expect the worse so I was a bit worried she might possibly say, "No."

Of course, when I actually did propose (last month as a matter of fact) she accepted without hesitation. And now I am enjoying all the bliss of actually planning the wedding... its 11 months from tomorrow but we already have the church and reception facility booked, photographer paid for, and today were are putting down the deposit on the DJ. I think that we are waaaaaay ahead of the curve, but she seems to be on a rampage now (and I have to admit I am sort of enjoying it now too).

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    <snip>
    Of course, when I actually did propose (last month as a matter of fact) she accepted without hesitation. And now I am enjoying all the bliss of actually planning the wedding... its 11 months from tomorrow. <snip>
    Hoo, woo! We got babies, engagements and all manner of interesting stuff going on. Congratulations to you and the future Mrs. Student.
    Je suis Charlie

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 21 Dec 2012, 12:52 PM
  2. If I only knew then what I know now.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 04 Aug 2012, 3:23 PM
  3. Morning person or night person?
    Friday Afternoon Club