Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Does Your Neighborhood Smell Like?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

What Does Your Neighborhood Smell Like?

What does your neighborhood smell like?

Actually......a quite serious question, not meant to be in jest. Over the years, serious health issues have nosed-up in neighborhoods with chemical plants, oil refineries, in valley settings with no good airflow, etc.

Gary, IN, was always a place that you could smell before you even arrived. As clean air technology changed emission standards.....and many steel-producing jobs moved away.....the smell is no longer so evident. Lancaster, OH, was (perhaps still is?) a paper-producing community......quite the fowl odor in that town.

I have been to small Great Lakes fishing villages.....and the strong smell of fish, fresh and smoked, is strong. Even my own bedroom suburb, Swanton, will occasionally reek from farmers who had spread manure on their fields. We can always tell when it is a north wind.

Toledo's east side has a couple of oil refineries. There is a strong oil odor in the neighborhoods adjacent to those facilities.

I have never been to Hershey, PA. Does it smell like chocolate?

What about your town or neighborhood? What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    ...What about your town or neighborhood? What say you?

Bear
    Fairly neutral at my house unless the breeze comes from the southeast. That's where the pulp mill is located. We smell the mill downtown more frequently.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Fresh river water from snowmelt and evergreen forests...

Unless you're in a room with the mastiff, then you get Pedigree gas from one end or the other.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The last few summers, it's smelled like wildfires. Unless someone is BBQ-ing, well, OK, kinda the same thing, but tastier. We have no big smelly industry around here, so mostly it's OK.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I'm out towards the west side of the city, so it's always a faint ocean or fog smell.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Bagel capitol of the world
    Lender's bagel factory here so it usually smells like the flavor of the day. Sometimes blueberry, sometimes cinamon, sometimes garlic.

Masterfoods (formerly Kal Kan) is also here so if the wind is coming from the north, it smells like dog food.

Marshall, Illinois was home to Velsicol Chemical where they made chlorodane. It was closed in1986 and 'cleaned up' in 1991. When the conditions are right, it still smells of chlorodane.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    oh I live on a small lake in the woods...the smells of water and fish. But I love the smell of Hudson...salty brackish water...and Long Island Sound salty water.

Upstate NY has such a rich woodsy that I love
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    In my neighborhood, it's pretty neutral. Sometimes, the breeze coming through the window smells refreshing like water or something. Freshly cut grass is a common smell as well. In spring and fall, you used to be able to smell cow manure but not as much anymore. Although back at school in good ol' DeKalb, it smells like cow manure quite frequently.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Environmentally it's pretty scent neutral......however at dinner time it smells like curry due to the high ratio of Indians in the family student housing.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Neutral, mostly. They've been resurfacing the roads (miracle of miracles, it only took 30 years!) so sometimes there's the smell of hot-mix in the morning.

In my adopted neighborhood, when the wind blows in just right, there's the stench from the sewage treatment plant. When it blows the other way, there's the stench from the dumpster behind the seafood restaurant. Yum.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I have never been to Hershey, PA. Does it smell like chocolate?
    Downtown Hershey, PA definitely smells like chocolate. Yum.

Many neighborhoods in Pittsburgh, including mine, do vaguely smell of sewage after heavy rains. I assume it is due to our old-school combined storm/sanitary sewer system - hey, it was an engineering marvel in 1890.

The neighborhood smells pretty neutral the rest of the time.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I used to live in Utica, NY... the brewery makes it smell like stewing tomatos (the hops)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    My neighborhood has a strong smell of flowering trees right now. Because it is a very old neighborhood and the trees are also old, it helps to absorb the bad smell.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by tsc View post
    I used to live in Utica, NY... the brewery makes it smell like stewing tomatos (the hops)
    Hops smell like stewing tomatoes?!? Never heard that before. I like the smell of hops... the taste, too - I tend to go for those "hoppy" beers.

Today it's rather humid, and the air is thick with the organic odors of plants, trees, dew-covered grass and dirt, mostly. Sometimes (this time of year) it smells like freshly mown grass - my neighbors are obsessive about keeping the grass short. The airport is close by and planes ascend over my neighborhood, but I rarely smell their emissions, fortunately.

When I lived in the city, I often smelled baking bread - there's a commercial bakery in town. MMMMM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    For two weeks, at the end of May and the beginning of June, there's a very strong floral smell. Otherwise, it smells like ... nothing. The next door neighbors just built a pool, so I would imagine that there's going to now be the occasional whisps of chlorine. The neighbors on the other side use wood for barbecue, so every so often there will be a campfire smell. The back yard includes about 1/3 acre of forest (unbuildable floodplain that is part of my lot), but there really isn't much of a woodsy smell.

There's a Burger King a couple of blocks away. In recent years, though, BKs have become mess stinky. I can't smell the local BK unless I'm next to it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Generally, our neighborhood smells of azaleas, myrtles and other flowering plants.

When the wind blows from the west, we sometimes get a whiff of the pulp mill across the river. It is about 15 miles away, but that horrific smell can travel. After it rains hard, the city smells like a swamp for a few hours. After all, it really is a swamp.

On Saturday and Sunday mornings, downtown streets reek of stale beer and human waste. It is really a turn-off when visiting the farmers' market on Saturday morning (especially if its 90 degrees and one is hungover).

I have a poor sense of smell, so something has to be pretty pungent for me to take notice. That said, some days the Ohio River has a very musky smell -- not a pleasant musky smell, mind you, more like a faint smell of rotten fish.

Somewhere northeast of Scranton, PA, there is a rendering plant. Most powerful, unpleasant, disgusting smell ever, anywhere. Yechhhhh!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Right now it smells like those nasty trees that give off an oder that's something akin to dirty feet and rotten garbage. They're nice to look at, but me nor my allergies can stand it during the flowering season.

Ordinarily the neighborhood doesn't smell like much of anything. Although, the small area in front of my house can smell like a wet ashtray if the bar across the street opens their front door on a damp day.

I miss living near the cookie factory when I was in Richmond, VA. That was always nice smell. I did, however, gain a lot of weight that year.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Usually no smell, but occaisonally the Ralston Purina plant. Can never tell if they are making kibbles OR bits, though. . . .

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Hops smell like stewing tomatoes?!? Never heard that before. I like the smell of hops... the taste, too - I tend to go for those "hoppy" beers.

Today it's rather humid, and the air is thick with the organic odors of plants, trees, dew-covered grass and dirt, mostly. Sometimes (this time of year) it smells like freshly mown grass - my neighbors are obsessive about keeping the grass short. The airport is close by and planes ascend over my neighborhood, but I rarely smell their emissions, fortunately.

When I lived in the city, I often smelled baking bread - there's a commercial bakery in town. MMMMM.
    Well...it is Utica Club beer....now known as Saranac.

I lived in Binghamton... the air around Frito Lay really smelled like chips or french fries.
    The smell a deisel on a cool fall morning always reminds be of Italy...even though I was there almost 20 years ago.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    A mixture of grain and alfalfa mill. When the filters aren't working correctly we get chaffe floating in the air. Sometimes it's very noticable, but it sure beats the heck out of a feedlot.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Nothing here.

I enjoy the yummy smells in downtown Battle Creek, MI wafting over from the nearby Kellogg's plant.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    BBQ, swimming pools, tree and flowers...and this past week - asphalt, the city is repairing curb/gutter and paving the street....smells in the afternoon after a 90+ degree day...but usually very pleasant....

Now what does your neighborhood SOUND like?? Mine is typically kids (often my own) screaching, laughing, swimming...the occasional teenager spinning his/her wheels and around dusk, parents (often myself) yelling "kids its time to come in"...
    This is the first summer my boys are old enough and have met enough kids close to home that they run and play all evening, often someone sleeping at someones house...starting to remind me of when I was a kid...too bad it'll only last a few years, next thing I'll know they will be driving and never home

Sometimes the wonderfully comforting smell of salt air, sometimes the lovely smell of jet wash and melting tires on the tarmac - oooooh yummy with my coffee first thing in the morning.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Cookies, we have a Vista Bakery and if the wind is right it smells awesome.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. A man wants to smell like a man
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 12:02 PM
  2. Replies: 19
    Last post: 26 Feb 2011, 3:28 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 04 Nov 2008, 6:18 PM