Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Commercial park/green space?

Commercial park/green space?

Does anyone know of or have an ordinance of some kind requiring commercial developments to have an x amount of park space?

Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Check the City of Malibu, California website. Very draconian landscape and open space standards, probably wouldn't go over well in Tx.

Registered
    Feb 2007

Park space means landscape?

In a recent community plan, we wrote a policy requiring a minimum of 1 tree for every three parking spaces and a tree at the end of each row of parking spaces.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by bobcatplanner View post
    Does anyone know of or have an ordinance of some kind requiring commercial developments to have an x amount of park space?

Thanks!
    Are you talking just landscaping or actual parks? I have never heard of parks required within commercial developments, residential yes, but not commercial. I don't see the point of parkland within commercial developments.

We only require dedication or fee-in-lieu for park land for residential subdivisions, through the subdivision regulations.

But for landscaping, we require a landscape island (with a 4" shade tree) at each end of each row of parking, plus one every 20 parking spaces. We require a 3 foot tall, 3 foot wide landscape buffer/screen for all parking areas adjacent to publics rights-of-way. And we require a 6 foot tall continuous buffer between parking areas/commercial districts and any residential zoning district.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Useless green space
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 9:32 PM
  2. Ideal amount of green space
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Jan 2009, 12:51 PM