Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: USA TODAY Article - 10 great places to declare your love of liberty

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

USA TODAY Article - 10 great places to declare your love of liberty

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...ty-sites_N.htm

With the Fourth of July less than a week away, Clint Johnson, author of Colonial America and the AmericanRevolution: The 25 Best Sites, shares with Buzzy Gordon for USA TODAY his choices of historic places best suited for contemplating the significance of our nation's struggle for independence. "These Colonial sites, from New England in the north to the Carolinas in the south and even the Midwestern frontier, evoke the sacrifices of those who fought in the defense of liberty," Johnson says.
    The list has the usual places -
    Independence Hall - Philadelphia
    House of Burgesses - Williamsburg, VA
    Concord Bridge - Mass (in the printed paper but not on line)

Ones that I find refreshing to mention (possibly by Gedunker too)
    Morristown National Historical Park - NJ
    "Although Valley Forge gets all the glory, Washington's army's winter camp here in 1779-80 was arguably even a greater testament to his soldiers' loyalty and sacrifice," Johnson says. "The snow was yards deep, and sentries froze to death while standing guard in subzero weather. Visit Morristown on Independence Day, but return in the dead of winter to experience briefly the chill that tried men's souls." 973-539-2016; nps.gov/morr
    George Rogers Clark National Memorial - Vincennes, IN.
    The murals here dramatically tell the story of 170 Virginians and Kentuckians who marched for weeks sometimes through freezing, chest-deep water to capture Fort Sackville in the Northwest Territories from the British in February 1779. When the Treaty of Paris ending the war was signed in 1783, England ceded what became the American Midwest. "Finding Revolutionary War history so far from the main theaters of battle lends special significance to this place," Johnson says. 812-882-1776, ext. 110; nps.gov/gero
    What other places do you think of beyond the popular/known/highlighted ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    It's not there yet.....this past May a House bill was introduced to authorize a memorial, on Federal land in Washington, DC. The memorial will honor the service of Francis Marion, otherwise known as "The Swamp Fox".

The folks in South Carolina (and England!) aren't the only people who know of The Swamp Fox's exploits.....Walt Disney had a TV mini-series, staring Leslie Nielson, back in the early 1960s.

His troops really were quite pesky with the English......and were experts at hiding in the swamps of South Carolina.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Well, there's Fort McHenry here in Baltimore -- birthplace of the national anthem.

But when it comes to reflecting on our nation's independence, I can't think of a better place than Arlington National Cemetery.

If not Arlington, then perhaps one of the other national cemeteries. Or the World Trade Center, or the Pentagon, or Shanksville, PA.

Our struggle for independence isn't over.

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us - that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain - that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom - and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
    - President Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg, November 1863

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I always thought the best way to declare your love of liberty was at a swearing in ceremony for new citizens. I know they happen on smaller scales all over the country all the time, but when I was in the Marine Corps, I was able to attend a 4th of July swearing in with a buddy of mine from the Dominican Republic (and about 200 other new citizens) and have to say that I don't know if I had ever hung out with a more patriotic group of people than 200 new citizens and their families!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I always thought the best way to declare your love of liberty was at a swearing in ceremony for new citizens. I know they happen on smaller scales all over the country all the time, but when I was in the Marine Corps, I was able to attend a 4th of July swearing in with a buddy of mine from the Dominican Republic (and about 200 other new citizens) and have to say that I don't know if I had ever hung out with a more patriotic group of people than 200 new citizens and their families!
    No kiddin'. I can recall hearing about the mass swearing in ceremonies in Hart Plaza and going over there just to play 'redneck' and hoot and holler. Makes me very happy that folks are willing to become citizens the hard way as opposed to those of us that were lucky enough to be born here. I bet each and every one will know who their Congressman is and Senators are. How many of the average Joe's out there know that? Ten percent??
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Oct 2012, 1:11 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2010, 3:54 PM
  3. APA Great Places 2010
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Oct 2010, 3:57 PM
  4. 150 Illinois Great Places
    Cities and Places