Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking standards

Registered
    Jun 2007

Parking standards

Does anyone know where I can find parking standards from the APA or something like that? We are looking at overhauling our current standards and I am having a hard time finding any information.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I am in the process of doing this right now too.

The best I have been able to do is web searches for municiplaities in my area and other areas to see what they are doing, then compare and contrast. We did this so as to justify hiring a consultant to redo the provisions in the zoning by-law.

As for established standards, check ITE, but expect them to be high as they are engineers.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Look at 'Transportation and Land Development" ITE Chapter 9 in the 2nd Edition. But some of the other chapters should be browsed as they pertain to parking lot circulation and such..... Also look at the current ASHTO. And lastly, as a counter sort of viewpoint, look at livable communities type recommendations.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

See link below

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...king+resources

This was posted a year or so ago, our dimensions are based off ITE dimensions and slightly modified. Remember, being too conservative means banging doors and elderly shying away from single open spaces.
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    http://www.vtpi.org/shoup.pdf is a paper talking about the problems with overreliance on ITE parking rates. The ITE rate manuals include warnings on overreliance on them -- the trip rate manuals and parking rate manuals contain a lot of data that is getting very old, and a lot of the studies have very small data sets... but too often designers (engineers AND planners) take them as gospel and don't question them.

Both an undersupply and an oversupply of parking are bad things -- getting it right can be tricky.

Quote Originally posted by DPP View post
    http://www.vtpi.org/shoup.pdf is a paper talking about the problems with overreliance on ITE parking rates. The ITE rate manuals include warnings on overreliance on them -- the trip rate manuals and parking rate manuals contain a lot of data that is getting very old, and a lot of the studies have very small data sets... but too often designers (engineers AND planners) take them as gospel and don't question them.

Both an undersupply and an oversupply of parking are bad things -- getting it right can be tricky.
    Agreed that ITE numbers may be conservative (high), but what other organization has the sack to actually set forth numbers or other rationale for this? Please tell. I know, leave it up to developers, right????
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I think the original post was for 'parking standards', not parking rates. I belive the question was about physical design.....which is why I directed the poster where I did. What were you looking for GoePlanner?
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    I think the original post was for 'parking standards', not parking rates. I belive the question was about physical design.....which is why I directed the poster where I did. What were you looking for GoePlanner?
    Maybe...the OP is somewhat ambigious. It could be parking design and parking requirements, which I'm sure could both be found through ITE.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moving to the Land Use and Zoning.subforum, since this topic deals mainly with zoning code requirements.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Dec 2011, 6:50 AM
  2. Parking Restaurant parking standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 07 Aug 2009, 12:41 PM
  3. Parking Parking standards for colleges
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Jan 2007, 8:07 PM