Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Everybody Hates Toronto, or My Trip Down the 401: Part I of IV (BROADBAND)

Everybody Hates Toronto, or My Trip Down the 401: Part I of IV (BROADBAND)

So I went to Toronto. I had a lot of fun. I took a lot of photos. You want to know more? Go jump in a lake!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Chris, what kind of camera do you use? I'm soon going to be in the market for a new digital, and I've always been impressed with your photos.

Great images, BTW. I love the fact that you do street scenes with PEOPLE, and not just the usual skyline or artsy building shots.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Great, great thread. I have to say that you either have a great camera, a great eye for photography, or both. Which neighborhood did you take most of these in?

Thanks!

Dan: I use a Fujifilm S9000. Although it has a 28-300mm lens and behaves a lot like an SLR, it's still just a point-and-shoot.

Biscuit: Most of these photos were taken downtown and in the west end, in neighbourhoods like Chinatown, Kensington Market, the Annex, Little Italy, Koreatown and along Bloor Street around Dufferin. There are also a few shots from along Danforth and Gerrard on the city's east side.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Hey where's the freeway??? You pulling a funny on me?

These are the sorts of scenes 'transit advocates' in Detroit pull out whenever we discuss transit benefits. Whats interesting to me is that Toronto has some of the busiest freeways, yet also has a darned good transit network. When you bring up to the 'Advocates' that perhaps transport is an issue of density and economics, they stare at you as if you have two heads.

Great pics. I see the corner bums are still downtown.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Great images, BTW. I love the fact that you do street scenes with PEOPLE, and not just the usual skyline or artsy building shots.
    Agreed 100%. There were a number of shots that really struck me. It's the absolute simplicity and honesty of people just being themselves, I think. Wow.

I also need to move Toronto up on my list of places to visit (long list).

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I think this has to be your best set of photos i have seen so far- I find the ones that you dont take of buildings tend to be the better ones- generally because their colour saturation is far more intense and richer- and obviously the scenes are a lot more interesting
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Wonderful. Great images to retire to (319 am)

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    I think I need to go back to Toronto

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Excellent photos Chris, though they make me miss my hometown.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    great pictures!

what's the story of the mirrored contemporary building eating the old stone building on Avenue Rd?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    what's the story of the mirrored contemporary building eating the old stone building on Avenue Rd?
    That's the brand new extension to the Royal Ontario Museum, designed by Daniel Libeskind. Another one of those love it/hate it "starchetectural" buildings that seem to be popping up all over the place.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    That's the brand new extension to the Royal Ontario Museum, designed by Daniel Libeskind. Another one of those love it/hate it "starchetectural" buildings that seem to be popping up all over the place.
    thanks! chalk me up as a "love it".
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Wonderful images Christopher! Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner

I find it interesting that seemingly everyone in this image appears stressed out. People are crossing to this side of the street, perhaps to avoid walking by the building? As a contexturalist, I find it ... ehhh ... less than satisfying from a street-scape standpoint, at least. But that's just me.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by christopher dewolf View post
    So I went to Toronto. I had a lot of fun. I took a lot of photos. You want to know more? Go jump in a lake!

Wtf?

Also, once again I am struck by the near total lack of national flags in those images, completely unlike what one would find in similar images taken in, let's say, Chicago or NYC.

Very interesting photolog!

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Chris, this was a great series of photos. I enjoyed looking at them. I wish to comment on a few of them. (I hope I pull off this multi-quoting tool successfully.)

Ah, I see you made it in the Sam's Record Man store before it closed down with an auction of its remaining artifacts.

Great shot! I like the reflection of the large puddle.

]
    Man, I miss seeing the colour of the velvety red of these seats on the subway.

What's a runt club? It is a club that celebrates Runt, the candy, or runts as a slang for short-heighted people?

This is one of my favourite buildings in Toronto. At times, I find it hard to believe that it houses MuchMusic and MuchMoreMusic (translations for non-Canadians: it's similar to MTV and MTV for the aging youth.).

Chris, is the reflection of the CN tower really casted on the turquoise awning? How did this happened? I don't understand how it is possible as the CN tower is in the background beyond the awning.

This is one of my favourite streets in Toronto. It's in the Kensington Market. I didn't know that there are constructions going on in this neighbourhood. I would have thought that all the open space in this area would be swallowed up by now.

Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1088/...c3588929_o.jpg

Wtf?

Mike
    Mike, that the new addition to the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD). It's about a few years old now. It's one of those gotta love or gotta hate building.

Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    What's a runt club? It is a club that celebrates Runt, the candy, or runts as a slang for short-heighted people?
    Apparently a "giant runt" is a type of pigeon.

Chris, is the reflection of the CN tower really casted on the turquoise awning? How did this happened? I don't understand how it is possible as the CN tower is in the background beyond the awning.
    To be honest, I have no idea; I didn't notice it until after I had taken the photo. I think it might just be the shadow of a nearby hydro pole that just coincidentally looks like the CN Tower.

This is one of my favourite streets in Toronto. It's in the Kensington Market. I didn't know that there are constructions going on in this neighbourhood. I would have thought that all the open space in this area would be swallowed up by now.
    I've read that Kensington is the only downtown neighbourhood that has seen its property values remain roughly the same over the past several years. That's one of the reasons why it's one of the cheaper parts of town.

It would seem that a team of investors have quietly been buying a lot of the neighbourhood's property and plan to team up with Will Alsop to redevelop its laneways. Ideally, it would increase the neighbourhood's density and open the laneway network up to the public, but I somehow think that it would end up turning Kensington into Yorkville.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 05 Jul 2007 at 4:30 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Ahh, I love Toronto. It has more character than a lot of people give it credit for, and your shots really show this. From the laneway houses to the multi-ethnic neighborhoods (many of your shots remind me of Broadway or Devon Avenue in Chicago), it's a city that really does have a style all its own (and deserves better than to be seen as a film stand-in for New York, London, or Chicago).

I see you found the Super Model Pizza sign (on College Street?). That was a favourite of mine when I was last in Toronto, in March 2005.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Thanx on that building ID, I've never seen ANYTHING like that before!

Also, another thing that struck me in those images is that it almost looks like Toronto has a much more lenient zoning and sign code than most cities in the USA, or at least much more lenient people in charge of it, which I think makes for a much more interesting and livable city. Perhaps some places here can take a cue from that and let the locals liven things up a bit. Over-regulated everyday development makes for sterile places.

Mike

Registered
    Feb 2007
    These are great! Thankyou!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 06 Dec 2008, 9:28 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Apr 2005, 11:18 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Apr 2005, 11:14 PM