Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Exotic Party Themes

Registered
    Feb 2000

Exotic Party Themes

I'm not sure what brought this question to mind... but here it goes.

What type of exotic party themes are you heard of? Attended any?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Is "getting hammered" a theme?

Nah, other than the Hawaiian luau, I've never really come across any "theme parties." Though I did decide that at some point I want to open up a bar called the COGO Cabana.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In college we once threw a 'Jim Jones' themed party. The hosts wore sunglasses and carried Bibles around. A large plastic tub was filled with red Kool Aid and guests all brought their favorite clear alcohol to add. Near the end of the party after several people had already passed out, they were dragged to the back yard, lined up next to each other, and photos were then taken which were sent to the poor hungover partygoers the following day!

College students and poor taste are two things that never go out of style.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    We had back in the day - National Tequila Day -
    when Utah State played BYU in football.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Reminds me of the legendary wine dinners held in Barrington Hall at Berkley. Unfortunately everyone I know tend to be responsible adults. I find that everyone (except me) tends to pace themselves and leave early. I'm finding fewer and fewer people who don't mind where they sleep. When I host a gathering or attend a gathering, I'm always open to passing out wherever. However, at the same time I am congnizant to not be "the thing that wouldn't leave".

I guess the classic toga party is too cliche.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 2004
    In college we once threw a 'Jim Jones' themed party. The hosts wore sunglasses and carried Bibles around. A large plastic tub was filled with red Kool Aid and guests all brought their favorite clear alcohol to add. Near the end of the party after several people had already passed out, they were dragged to the back yard, lined up next to each other, and photos were then taken which were sent to the poor hungover partygoers the following day!

That's pretty sick. I must admit that tops the parties from my college days. The best planning graduate party I ever went to, the class drunk passed out while dancing with me. Everyone just danced or walked around him the rest of the evening.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've been to:

-Red Party: all attendees must wear red
    -Movie / Music Video premieres
    -Clothing optional cookouts
    -Marti Gras: No explaination needed

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Would a tiki-theme party count?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Some of the quirky parites I've hosted or been to include:
    An album release party
    A wet t-shirt contest party
    Several State of the Union Address parties

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Some of the quirky parites I've hosted or been to include:
    An album release party
    Several State of the Union Address parties
    Boy you go from one extreme to the other! I can't imagine anything being more diverse than a wet tshirt contest and a more-boring-than-anything-I've-heard-in-my-life State of the Union Address party. What do you do at that, count up all the Dubya grammatical errors?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Maister, thats just disturbing
    I can't even remember any exotic party themes I've been to after reading that.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Boy you go from one extreme to the other! I can't imagine anything being more diverse than a wet tshirt contest and a more-boring-than-anything-I've-heard-in-my-life State of the Union Address party. What do you do at that, count up all the Dubya grammatical errors?
    Actually, we take a drink every time he says "freedom", "terror", or "America" and get real drunk before it's even over. Lots of fun!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I have hosted a number of "fun" parties; my favorite was Vegas in Space.

This weekend I am hosting a Lost on Cumberland Island party. All of my parties have plenty to eat and drink plus prizes for the best costumes.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm curious, did any women show up to that party and if so what prompted them to participate?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    also, did they turn up wet or were they made wet upon arrival?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm curious, did any women show up to that party and if so what prompted them to participate?
    Yep, count me as a third curious cat.

If the answer is "yes", howinthehell did you accomplish that? I've gotta start hanging out with a different crowd...
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by martini View post
    Yep, count me as a third curious cat.

If the answer is "yes", howinthehell did you accomplish that? I've gotta start hanging out with a different crowd...
    Concerning this particular theme party, all the single guys on Cyburbia want to post two questions:
    1) Are there honestly any women on Cyburbia who would be so vile, trashy, and detestable to exhibit such loose morals and debase themselves by attending a party such as this?
    2) if so, what are you doing this Saturday?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We've done something similar to the State of the Union party, but it was with a movie.

We had a Shot Glass party one time that consisted of only drinking out of a shot glass. Bring your own shot glass and whatever you wanted to drink (beer, wine, wahtever), plus a couple of us were walking around distributing moonshine as well. You loose count very easily of how much you've had to drink with those little glasses (until its too late).

There was a sleeping bag party where you brought you own sleeping bag and dropped your car keys in a fish bowl (pre-key fob days) as you walked in the door.

There were a few I can't remember and strip/nekkid twister sounded like a good idea at the time
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    we did a board game into drinking game party - as in for Risk, every time you took over a country you had to drink a shot of alcohol from that part of the world, vodka for Russia, sake for Japan...

and yes, I went to a few toga parties in my youth and I won't discuss wet t-shirts

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    skyscraper party (dress up as your favorite skyscraper or create your own): it was a lot of fun creating the costume to scale and actually being able to move around, dance, etc. It took me about 50 hours to design it and build it (can't remember where the heck the pics are).

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I had a pirate party twice. Everyone comes as a pirate. We also had a ninja party. Everyone comes as a ninja. I prefer the pirate party.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We did a southern hemisphere pot-luck once. All foods etc. had to be from the southern hemisphere (at least the recipes did). Got a lot of Chilean and South African wines. And kiwi fruit salad.

We also did a "things on sticks" potluck. Kebabs, fondue, corn dogs, popcicles, etc, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    How about a Monty Python party? Folks could dress up as lumberjacks, parrots, Scotsmen, knights, etc.

other themes one may wish to consider for their next soiree:
    'Scarlet letter' party
    household items you don't use duct taped to your head party
    sobriety party
    gingerbread objects party
    'Survivor' party
    ponies, bears, puppies, rainbows, unicorns, and kitty cats party
    'The Intimidator' party
    Skoal vs Copenhagen party
    corporate mascots do battle with pugil sticks party

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Concerning this particular theme party, all the single guys on Cyburbia want to post two questions:
    1) Are there honestly any women on Cyburbia who would be so vile, trashy, and detestable to exhibit such loose morals and debase themselves by attending a party such as this?
    2) if so, what are you doing this Saturday?

You took the words right out of my mouth.....that's scary.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Nudist clubs usually have themed parties, on a regular basis. Tough to dress for, though.

(The nudist club in Toledo did occasional body-painting parties.)

Our friends from the township always have themed parties of some sort. One of their specialties is an annual scavenger hunt. Participants wander all over Greater Toledo to find the items and then party all night at the host's pad..

When I lived in very rural Henry County I had an annual "Moved to the boonies" party. But, I only did it a couple years.

Another fun party is called "Hi, Bob". You gather to watch a 30-minute episode of the 1970s sitcom, "Bob Newhart" (the series with Suzanne Pleshette). Every time somebody says, "Hi, Bob." you have to drink. Impossible to not get smashed if you follow that rule.

A really exotic party would be a Super Bowl Party with Cleveland playing Detroit.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 10 Jul 2008, 8:57 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Dec 2006, 5:17 PM
  3. Once-common, now rare song themes
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 12 Nov 2005, 11:58 AM