Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Centennials of author

Registered
    Sep 2001

Centennials of author

While I was out buying books, I noticed a magazine that celebrates the 100 birthday of Robert A Heinlein, so I picked it up. On reading through it it got me thinking about what makes a book a classic and an author enduring.

While some of the dates of RAH's work are upon us and what he envisioned has not completely happened (it is scary though that some of his less positive predictions have coming true).

I wonder what "current" authors are going to have the legacy such as Heinlein, Twain, RL Stevenson and other "classics".

Here is your opportunity to comment on current authors and why or why you think or don;t think they'll still be relevant 100 years after their birth.

A few of my favourites to consider

I hate to say it but Tom Wolfe will be more relevant than Hunter S Thompson as his work is more accessible to the masses.

Vonnegut, don't have to wait too long for this date, so he'll still be relevant.

Please add and comment with "current" authors and maybe the odd classic as well. By current I mean an author that has been published or died since 1950.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    While I was out buying books, I noticed a magazine that celebrates the 100 birthday of Robert A Heinlein, so I picked it up. On reading through it it got me thinking about what makes a book a classic and an author enduring.

While some of the dates of RAH's work are upon us and what he envisioned has not completely happened (it is scary though that some of his less positive predictions have coming true).

I wonder what "current" authors are going to have the legacy such as Heinlein, Twain, RL Stevenson and other "classics".

Here is your opportunity to comment on current authors and why or why you think or don;t think they'll still be relevant 100 years after their birth.

A few of my favourites to consider

I hate to say it but Tom Wolfe will be more relevant than Hunter S Thompson as his work is more accessible to the masses.

Vonnegut, don't have to wait too long for this date, so he'll still be relevant.

Please add and comment with "current" authors and maybe the odd classic as well. By current I mean an author that has been published or died since 1950.
    I still have all my Heinlein paperbacks from the '60's and '70's but cannot get my kid to read them!

Historical authors like James Michener will be around (because nothing that will happen will change their novels' appeal/relevance...). Sci-fi like Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, and Arthur Clarke, since they're visioning the future. Tolkien, timeless.

I am seeing more and more novels, particularly mysteries, where the internet is not there, like the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton, set in the '80's. While they are good stories, you want to scream, check that guy on the 'net!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Best current pro-city author
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Feb 2010, 3:18 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Sep 2006, 8:09 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Jun 2004, 2:12 PM
  4. New Author, New Book, Need Help!
    Make No Small Plans