Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How Many Videos Do You Own?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

How Many Videos Do You Own?

AIB....."Death of a video store" thread.....

How many videos do you OWN? All types, including VHS, DVD, downloaded vids.....all genres.....

?????
    _____

I have about three dozen VHS tapes with some movies recorded on them (from HBO, etc.). Most of those are pretty old ("old" as in when the movie was filmed and "old" as in recorded in the 1980s).

Katie has always been a "buyer".....she has quite a collection.....VHS up until a few years ago and then DVDs. She probably has at least a hundred.

I have purchased a few VHS movies (old classics, again) and a few DVDs (old classics, still again). We also have a nice collection of "special" flicks, for those "special" times.

No movies downloaded on our computer.....probably because Katie's son moved away.

Guess at final count: 200 (VHS, DVD, some VHS with multiple movies recorded on them).

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've got at least a couple hundred. Oldies, comedies, sci-fi, adventure, probably everything except westerns (unless you count Blazing Saddles). Would have a lot more if I hadn't unloaded all the Disney VHS tapes at work recently(lots of young moms there). I have no problem buying the DVD if I know it's one I'll rewatch or my kid will. We have to find a place to store them at RJ's! (And that's another thing, his DVD/VHS player is so high up, I can't reach it without a stepstool...)

In an earlier life, I managed a combo bookstore/video store when VHS first came out (and the competitor, BETA). Back then, VHS tapes cost around $90 apiece.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Only two. I have a DVD of The Last Waltz concert movie and a DVD copy of Koyaanisqatsi (Life Out of Balance). I rather rent.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We have about 50 movies in the collection, most of which are classic/cult movies. I don't generally like watching the same movie over and over, so I'm not much for buying movies.

No home movies because we don't have kids--that seems to be a post-kid activity.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    500+

Some I've watched over and over... some are still in the shrinkwrap.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2005
    I have only purchased one video in my entire life - Rosemary's Baby. To relate it to another thread, it was actually my wife's idea (and she was pregnant at the time!)

Still, we probably now own about 50 videos, all except the one of which were given to us. Most of them are kids stuff, but we have a friend who reviews movies for Entertainment Weekly and sends us the copies sometimes. The weirdest past is every 15 minutes a disclaimer about how this video is not for sale and only for promotional purposes scrolls across the bottom of the screen. You get used to it after a while...

I find it weird to own videos as I really rarely watch a movie multiple times. I don't know why. I don't feel the same way about books.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Easily a few hundred. I collect old movies, no westerns, especially from the 30s and 40s. The same with old radio shows-mostly from the 40s and 50s-cassettes and CDs . For the movies have both VHS and now DVDs. Friends and family always know what to get me. The only problem is they have to make sure that I don't already have that one.
    I enjoy watching the movies and also observe how the movies have influenced our lives during different eras. Cigarette smoking, stay at home moms, social drinking, expressions etc., single family detached with picket fences, walkable neighborhoods and "downtowns" and Patriotism during this era. What is nice about the DVDs is that when I travel, I can take some with me and watch them on the laptop.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    About 15 I would say of varying genres. Most are well loved and watched a few times a year. Mostly though my video fix comes from Netflix.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Like between 50-75, half VHS, half DVD.

It's dominated by comedies, action movies, and music videos.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I haven't counted in many years but I'd guess in the neighborhood of 200-300. Like Mastiff, some I've watched several times and others have yet to be opened.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    In the 80 range (if you don't include the various World Cup matches I taped) bought more Disney recently because of Wee P. But I go for the classics like Monty Python, Bull Durham, Caddyshack, Blazzing Saddles and Ms. P goes for the old movies like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Casablanca, Singing inthe Rain, etc.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    less than 10 and probably half were gifts.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Somewhere north of 150 (all but two on DVD, I think) - mix of classics, foreign, indie, mainstream, and some gawd-awful chick flicks that Mrs. Bubba insists on owning.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Am I being frugle, ok cheap ?

I do not own either a vcr or dvd player, so of course not.

Guess I was a contributor to the death of a video store.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

We have probably 25-30 VHS tapes (which are going to be recycled at some point) mainly movies and some video compilations. I must confess I've not watched them in many years and now with the VHS machine in the basement....

We have probably 100+ films on our computer, those we've deemed 'desert island keepers'. "Trading Places", "Caddyshack", "Blazing Saddles", etc. I know, you can't watch movies when stranded on a desert island - just work with me here. I also have another DVD binder filled with all of my fave classic films from the 30s and 40s.

Just got "Meatballs" the other day - definitely a keeper!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    none......

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I have a full dvd set for a particular tv show that was around back in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

I also have a DVD and a VHS of Forrest Gump and a VHS of Mr. Holland's Opus.

Oh, I do have some blank tapes that I've taped with different things - mostly anything related to Coldplay or ABBA.

That's my entire collections of movies.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    less than 10 and probably half were gifts.
    Me too. I've got 3 DVD's of musical groups (Pantera, Primus, Metallica) and maybe 5 VHS of shows (The Young Ones, Clockwork Orange, Black Adder). I'm not a tv/movie junkie.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jan 2006
    maybe 50 vhs, 30 dvd

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I have several "mix" tapes of music videos from like 10 years ago. They're kind of amusing to watch. Otherwise, probably about 30 DVDs- Netflix is my friend
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Over a hundred I am sure. Most of which I haven't viewed in years. When I first got a VCR I recorded the entire Centennial mini-series and I doubt I have watched one episode since then. Got quite a few old Maverick shows, which I watch regularly. Plenty of movies. My favorite westerns, Frank Capra movies and Thin Man movies.

Just started getting DVDs - Young Frankenstein, Blade Runner, Broken Trail, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, etc. Definite advantages to the DVD. Easier to skip to your favorite parts or skip your least. My wife likes being able to use the Spanish language version of the movies.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Collection Is Growing

Call me a "junkie". Today's UPS brought some DVDs that I recently ordered.....

Mannix, The First Season (24 episodes)
    Biff Baker, USA (A classic TV show from the 1950s)
    The Adventures of Robin Hood, The First Season (More 1950s TV)

.....and for Katie.....The Notebook.

It had been awhile since I last ordered some vids. This batch should keep my Sunday "De Noc" Time comfortable.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    .....and for Katie.....The Notebook....
    Most annoying film of recent vintage. Of course it ran on the uni's movie channel 3x a day for two months.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have 2 paper ream boxes of Star Trek TNG on VHS somehere. Those will be on the curb soon, I can't move them. I have 4.5 seasons of BSG on DVD. Those are going with me.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Still don't own any type of video player, so no.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. city aerials (photos & videos)
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Jun 2012, 12:58 AM
  2. embedding youtube videos
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Oct 2011, 11:55 AM