Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Movies in a nutshell

Registered
    Feb 2004

Movies in a nutshell

Can you provide extremely concise plot summaries for the greatest (and not so greatest) films ever made? AIB Mskis observations on Rogue One

Quote Originally posted by Mskis
    In the movie, there are a group of people, who fly around in space ships, and steal the plans for the death star from the empire. Some people get shot by lasers, and some stuff blows up, and there is fire in outer space!

(I have not seen the movie yet and will wait to see it when it is available to rent online)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Jurassic Park: Scientist bring dinosaurs back to life, some guy wants to profit on it, dinos get loose, people get eaten, stars of movie get rescued.

The Santa Clause: Because of a loophole, businessman Scott Calvin becomes Santa Claus which results in a deeper connection with his son.

Fast & Furious: Cop becomes undercover street racer, gets tight with crew, fall in love with crew boss's sister, throws away law enforcment career to protect them.

Saving Private Ryan: During WWII, the US Army decides to find and save Private Ryan after Ryan's two brothers are killed in action. It was hard to find him though.
    The difference between how you expect your life to be and how it really is determines your happiness. - Mo Gawdat

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Groundhog Day:

Inadvertent life-coaches Sonny and Cher engage middle-aged weatherman daily.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Titanic

Ship hits iceberg, people die.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Any John Wayne movie - drinking, fighting & shooting; horses, ships, planes; sometimes pretty women.

The Dark Knight-a violent masked vigilante meets match with violent sociopath in clown make up.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Kill Bill - lots of gore as people get killed in a spectacular and unrealistic manner intended to surpass the audience's suspension of disbelief.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Frogs (1972). Nature on the rampage, though no one actually gets killed by frogs. Dumb but enjoyable.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Great Escape - Soldiers escape from a WWII German POW Camp.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bullitt - Epic/Classic car chase sequence with a 1968 Ford Mustang GT driven by Steve McQueen

La La Land: "...a Christmas Miracle for these coldhearted times"

Registered
    May 2002
    Rogue One in a nutshell:

J.J. Abrams plays with his toys, recreates New Hope, and films it
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 390,269 people with a 99% happiness rating (1/23/2017)!

Forrest Gump: An Idiot Savant finds himself in the key moments in American history from the 50s-80s. A perfect metaphor for the baby boomer generation. (Btw, I've always hated this movie)
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    Rogue One in a nutshell:

J.J. Abrams plays with his toys, recreates New Hope, and films it
    wrong movie...you summarized The Force Awakens...not Rogue One.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jan 2009
    3 of the 8 Star Wars movies

Giant, unstoppable, planet killing machine is stopped by a group of teenagers who found an obscure flaw in the system.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Overboard (an all-time favorite, awful movie): rich, miserable woman gets amnesia; poor man who she wronged takes her in to get revenge. Love ensues.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Movies that didn't age well
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 58
    Last post: 17 Oct 2015, 3:34 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 01 Feb 2008, 7:47 PM
  3. In a nutshell
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Sep 2006, 2:40 PM