Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: If you could design a Sim City game

Registered
    Feb 2004

If you could design a Sim City game

If you could design the next Sim City game what features would it have that you think might either increase the realism factor or humor/entertainment content?

Alternately, what features or implicit assumptions among the various versions of the game do you find laughably implausible or unrealistic?

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'd like to see suburban-style buildings/properties to make it more realistic.

I can lay out a suburban-style road network yet all the commercial properties look like they do in the city.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Offline-ability....

I think having it be more like actually designing neighborhoods. I like the suburb concept, and the bedroom community concept. I also think they should make the mayor change every four years in game time and make your priorities change each time....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I like the idea of suburban style buildings. I also like the idea of zoning properties over time. Rather than bulldozing a low density building, why not re-zone it to high density and let the "market" develop it. Eventually you really have no room to grow in the current game and you just start upzoning everything with no real impact to traffic or "fringe growth" to concern. Plus on the mobile verison (which is a rip of simcity 2000 or whatever) it is really easy to jack up land values by putting density close to water, with a park and bam, you got skyscrapers everywhere. Cool, but come on, pretty easy:

Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Form-Based Codes
    NIMBY's
    Flood Plains
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Jan 2013, 5:00 AM
  2. Design A City
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 19 Jan 2009, 10:35 AM