Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Gas Price Thread

I guess there was some sort of a lightening induced fire at refinery in Kansas. I guess that means gas prices will rise $2 a gallon now.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    What if gas prices stabilize around $5.00 gallon in the U.S. is anyone going to make changes to their daily routines? Like walk to work?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Nope, its not an option for I dare say most folks to walk to work and taking mass transit would cost me 4.25 to park each day (no bus runs near my house) then 3.55 in transit one way and take me over an hour. If I am at peak times and trains are not 20 min apart and I don't miss a connecting bus from the metro to my office. I do the reverse commute so no carpool or slug for me

For me the 20-30 min 10 mile drive at 5.00 a gallon in gas is much better than mass transit my guess is this is the same problem for many folks
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jun 2005
    While riding to work this morning, I rode past a gas station and it's up to $4.30 for regular here. Still seeing the same number of angry cagers on the road as before.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've seen prices as high as $4.49 here in Chicago. I joined Zipcar a few weeks ago so I could have a way to get to the Columbia Gorge (although I ended up going to the Oregon coast). I reserved a car the other day to deliver several very heavy bags of books to school, it ended up taking me nearly half an hour to go the 4 miles. I'm still convinced biking is the best way to get around this city. Although of course for most Americans the time involved in alternative transportation generally fails to make up for the savings in gas.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    After oil trending down over the last week to about $123 a barrell. It has shot up again to $135 on a prediction that it will hit $150 by July 1. We are facing irrational run-ups in the commodities exchange. I hope that the dollars turn around against the yen stays on course and is not affected, but only time will tell.

End result? Look for higher gas prices soon. I'm buying gas tonight if its not too late.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Quote Originally posted by durangobob View post
    What if gas prices stabilize around $5.00 gallon in the U.S. is anyone going to make changes to their daily routines? Like walk to work?
    Not a option for me. I live in the deep south, 18 miles from work. It's been in the 90s here for the past week, week and a half.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    $3.87 NJ
    $3.83 VA
    $3.65 SC
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    $3.87 NJ
    $3.83 VA
    $3.65 SC
    Lucky! It's funny how I'm now longing for the days of $3/gallon gas.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I topped off the tank at $3.73 (with Soopercard savings) last night after reading the news about the oil price jump.

Turns out I was getting 26.8mpg on our SUV driving to and around Denver on Thrusday and Friday .
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2008
    we're at about $5.02 USD per gallon here in Waterloo. I try to bike to get groceries and do other errands. The reusable bags they have at stores can carry quite a bit. In the winter I can take the bus to major destinations. I use the car if I need to pick up something heavy, need to get to some suburban location, or need to be somewhere quickly (unfortunately the bus service comes every 15 minutes at the most - too bad I'm not in Ottawa where the bus system is much better)
    Last edited by waterloowarrior; 07 Jun 2008 at 10:09 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Not a option for me. I live in the deep south, 18 miles from work. It's been in the 90s here for the past week, week and a half.
    That's quite the cop out.

I also live in the south. My wife has been carpooling with a neighbor and I have been biking into work. I rode in this morning. It is a little more than eight miles. My wife swings by after work with her carpool partner and I throw the bike in the back of our Jeep. That way I am only riding in the cooler (<80) morning hours.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    gas down the street just jumped from 4.28 to 4.60 overnight. For 87 octane.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by durangobob View post
    I know people who have started riding their bikes to work. Of course, I still segway to work frequently. Maybe someday people will make better home/work location decisions and we'll get passenger rail service between modest sized cities again. At the moment I spend $80 in gas every other weekend to go see my kids. I would gladly pay that for a two-way train ticket. I'll even more gladly do the same when gas gets up to $5.00 a gallon, which will be the new floor in a year.

Plus there will be greater opportunity for local manufacturing to meet local needs, particularly in food processing.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I started carpooling when gas was $3.80/gal. We carpool 4 days a week. She works one day of the weekend, so she's off one day of the "regular" work week. So we both don't drive 2 days of the week, and that helps.

For me, that means I save about 4 gallons of gas a week. She drives a gas-guzzling, high-grade only car, so the savings are higher for her. Overall, it works.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Heading back to Yankeeland today. Will see how much the gas has gone up
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2006
    the 76 station on the corner of VanNuys and Riverside...................4.99/gallon for premium. I paid 4.69 this morning for premium at the shell station just a few blocks away from the 76 station, Unfortunatelty I have to run premium in the BMW.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Well, it was only a matter of time before AZ got ours. $4.14-4.19 in the valley after being in the $3.80 range for weeks.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I hope the price holds until I can get out at lunch. We are at 3.84 right now.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    I hope the price holds until I can get out at lunch. We are at 3.84 right now.
    Darn..i wish for that now! Didn't top off the sentra this weekend since it was 4.50 a gallon. But i must admit, my wife and i have done well to cut back our consumption. I haven't filled her car with gas since last month
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    $3.81 SC
    $3.98 NC
    $3.84 NJ Turnpike

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    $3.99.9 just about everywhere in Cleveland. A few stations are over $4, but not many want to make the plunge. Even the truck stops in Ashtabula, which are normally about 10 cents cheaper than Cleveland, are a mill below $4.

I'm in Buffalo for a few days. I've seen everything from $4.09.9 to $4.29.9.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Afternoon all.

Around these parts we're talking 1.20ish for a litre of unleaded, 1.30+ for a litre of diesel. As everywhere, it's gone up massively recenlty. Cheapest in Europe is Switzerland apparently where it's still under a 1 for a litre, with the most expensive in Norway at around 1.40 a litre.

It's not too bad for me as my car does about 63mpg, but to jump from fifty quid for a tnak to over 60 in a couple of weeks is still pretty drastic.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    noj!!!! Welcome back, friend!

Finally over $4 here at the station across from the office.

In town it is still $3.97.

My dad said this morning there is a line at the station by his office, cheapest in Denver Metro at $3.76.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Just got back from lunch gas jumped from $3.86 this morning to $4.19 at lunch here in suburban Indianapolis.

On a side note, the Town is letting the Town Staff try out a 4-week trial, 4/10 hr. work week, that will save 34 miles a week, plus I will only hit the beginning of the morning rush and the tail end of the evening rush.

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 532
    Last post: 09 Feb 2015, 11:40 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 2:34 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread