Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Gas Price Thread

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    It is around $3.49 here around here.

Sad part is it is so high because refineries are shutting down to change the blends from winter production to summer production, and the EPA will not permit any new oil refineries from being constructed in the US.
    Actually an oil refinery is about ready to be built near Yuma, AZ. A judge issued an injunction on construction due to the tribal sensativiy of the land in question.

Although no new refineries have been built in 30 years, most refineries have expanded. The problem is they are such a NIMBY industry. The above mentioned refinery has been on the drawing board for over a decade and is still 5 years away or more.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Average in metro Louisville is $3.35/gal for regular unleaded. Some prognosticators are calling for $4.00/gal this weekend.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Filled up for $2.99 Friday afternoon. Prices today at lunch were in the $3.05 to $3.15 range.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Today was a first: the "Racetrack" station here in Sanford, Central Florida, has always managed to stay below $3, even after the hurricanes. This morning, however, I drove by and seen they had $3.01 posted for regular.

Unfortunately we have a roadtrip planned this weekend. Going to New Orleans to visit my aunt. Bad timing...
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I can't do anything about it, except drive less, which I already do. Complaining about it is getting really old to me.

It is no coincidence that prices shoot up right before a holiday weekend. The same thing happens with bus, train and plane tickets. We have a five-hour drive coming up on Saturday and a return trip on Monday. We will spend about $100 round trip. It is still cheaper than any other mode would be for two people and tons of gear.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    I can't do anything about it, except drive less, which I already do. Complaining about it is getting really old to me.

It is no coincidence that prices shoot up right before a holiday weekend. The same thing happens with bus, train and plane tickets. We have a five-hour drive coming up on Saturday and a return trip on Monday. We will spend about $100 round trip. It is still cheaper than any other mode would be for two people and tons of gear.

Sorry, sticking to my usual tack, I have to be the guy who points out that you're only talking about gas costs there. If you were to tack on all of your sunk costs, as well as the added depreciation and maintenance costs from driving the car this weekend, your cost would be significantly more. As much as other modes? No, probably not. I just know from my personal experience of owning a car, then deciding to sell it and go car-free and use car-sharing at times, then rent cars for trips like yours this weekend - the total expense is not nearly as "cheap" as you think.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    In the field (in the County car) this morning, the lowest price I saw was $3.05.9 at two stations. The place I usually fill up was up to $3.15.9.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ouch!

The national radio guy this morning was interviewing some sucker in NEEDLES California this morning.....the guy paid $4.28 a gallon....he got one gallon, just enough to get him to Arizona, where it's almost a dollar less!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2005

Now let me put this all in perspective...

Ok lets use some maths.....

1 US Gallon= 4.4 (or so) Litres
    4.4 Litres x AU$1.30= $5.72 for an average gallon of petrol in Sydney.

AU $5.72=US4.70

Hmm you guys are getting gas for say... $3 or so?

Quit complaining!!!!!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    First of all, I thought this was a new post, so when i read the first page, and saw the gas prices under 2 dollars, I was stunned

then I saw the posts were 3 years old.

Since then, I think the prices have nearly doubled. Here in Chicagoland it's around 3.50 a gallon. I don't pay too much attention to it though. Even though I have a car, my job, my home, my car mechanic, a small grocery store, three doctors, 2 gyms, and a college are within half a block of a bike trail, which I also use for exercising. My home is 1.1 miles from work along the bike path. I drive a compact with decent miles to the gallon, and I can stretch out a tank of gas for 2-3 weeks if I really need to.

Wish others had it as good as I do.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post

AU $5.72=US4.70

Quit complaining!!!!!
    I get the same thing from my brother in Germany. The average in Stuttgart is $ 1.36 Euros ($1.83) per liter.
    $1.83 * 3.7 = $6.77 (Thanks Mercer for clearing that up, I should have known my multiplier)

I keep telling him that it's his problem (lol), but actually we are going to Europe in September and renting a car for a week

Bottom line, however, is that I don't care. As long as the big oil companies are recording RECORD PROFITS, I have a problem with being taken to the cleaners!
    Last edited by LadyBuc; 21 May 2007 at 7:38 PM.
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hey

AU $5.72=US4.70

Quit complaining!!!!!
    Check out this study from last year:

http://www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/en-in...-final2007.pdf
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Natski, not to rain on your parade,but a US gallon = 3.785 liters.

So, the gas is costing you $4.00 US. This morning I paid $3.52 in Seattle, not really a big savings!

The worst part is that there are three refineries within a stones throw of my fair City and we have the second highest gas prices in the nation.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mercer View post
    Natski, not to rain on your parade,but a US gallon = 3.785 liters.

So, the gas is costing you $4.00 US. This morning I paid $3.52 in Seattle, not really a big savings!

The worst part is that there are three refineries within a stones throw of my fair City and we have the second highest gas prices in the nation.
    Yeah your right- was looking at Dry Litres instead of liquid litres.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004

Soooo....

Yeah your right- was looking at Dry Litres instead of liquid litres.
    That poor guy in Needles seems to be paying MORE than an Aussie!! WOW......maybe we should invade Australia for cheap gas too.....???....naw....we'd just end up with a bunch of roo meat and even more Fosters.......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    That poor guy in Needles seems to be paying MORE than an Aussie!! WOW......maybe we should invade Australia for cheap gas too.....???....naw....we'd just end up with a bunch of roo meat and even more Fosters.......
    Off-topic:
    Have you ever eaten Kangaroo? Its actually really good when its cooked medium- if you cook it well done its way too tough. Combine it with some red wine sauce and i promise you have a winner!

Oh and we dont drink Fosters in oz....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Gotta drive, gotta have gas to drive so Ill pay out the nose. Its not made much of an inpact on our lives
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Gotta drive, gotta have gas to drive so Ill pay out the nose. Its not made much of an inpact on our lives
    Dittos.

It's like paying the water bill.....are you going to not have water in your house?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I could go for a Roo-burger and a fosters! What is the public transportation system like down there?

It jumped 30 cents today... it has officially caused a problem for me given that my gas consumption is now 1/5 of my income! But then again, I drive a long distance (hour each way), and I don’t get paid much.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Apr 2007
    My god ski's, what kind of tank do you drive that 120 miles a day costs 1/5th of your income!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    $2.88 a gallon today.....driving 80 miles a day just to get to/from work. I'm kinda scared to see what it's going to do over the weekend.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    $3.05 today, up 4 cents from yesterday. Oh, and it went up another penny between 8 and 11 this morning.

I paid $3.36 yesterday (Toledo) and decided to fill the tank instead of just putting one or two gallons at a time like I usually do when price are up. I'm really glad I did.

Prices went up to $3.49 across the board today.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Confirming SAC's reports. Almost everyplace in the Cleveland metro is now at $3.50.

I drove home from work a few MPH below the speed limit, and turned off the car when it looked like I was going to be sitting at a light for more than a minute.

With prices like these I might have to kick down my friends some cash when they let me shlepp a ride to the grocery store.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 513
    Last post: 12 Sep 2014, 1:09 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 1:34 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread