Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Gas Price Thread

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If the strike threats by the oil union in Nigeria tomorrow (May24,2007) will push through, that will cause a shortage in oil supply-that will trigger to increase the prices.
    The proposal for privatization of two government-owned refineries in Nigeria is going on. Oil Union is protesting this with a strike. So, let's just wait & see.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    I just know from my personal experience of owning a car, then deciding to sell it and go car-free and use car-sharing at times, then rent cars for trips like yours this weekend - the total expense is not nearly as "cheap" as you think.
    I lived car-free as and adult for nine years (1995-2004), so I am pretty aware of the true costs of car ownership.

Gas

About 3 bucks a gallon here in Taylor TX...........on May 23 2007

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Unfortunatly my window looks directly on the gas station.
    We have remaind low for a long time but we are at $3.27 It was $3.39 for a couple of days but dropped back a bit. The county is still using gas they stock piled at $1.67, man is that going to crunch their budget when they refill.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    low end is about 3.29... I did see 2.99 in upstate ny (Owego) this past weekend.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Keep in mind, you all are still buying it. How much effort should go into complaining about it.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    It jumped 12 cents from yesterday morning to afternoon...

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Keep in mind, you all are still buying it. How much effort should go into complaining about it.
    Not really complaining, but its like taxes. Don't like it, but still got to pay it.

A couple of us were talking this morning and I remembered when I started to drive it was about 55 cents a gallon (late 70s). I can remember my dad sying "When it reaches a dollar a gallon, I'm going to quit driving."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Off-topic:

Oh and we dont drink Fosters in oz....
    Off-topic:
    We don't drink Beck's in Germany either
    Bring on Spring Training...

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Loving these fuel prices, especially since I am getting (at worst) 35 mpg city if I drive like a maniac and 43 mpg plus on the highway.

Yes, I drive a diesel, and I bet others wish they do to.

I say let the prices go up, make people cut back their driving, I'm all for it.
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more cowbell!" - Bruce Dickinson

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by LadyBuc View post

Bottom line, however, is that I don't care. As long as the big oil companies are recording RECORD PROFITS, I have a problem with being taken to the cleaners!
    Are you implying that the rise in the cost of gas for cars is being manipulated by oil companies?

Doesn't it have more to do with the worldwide demand of gas? China and India are burning as much oil as they can buy. So is the United States, whose drivers can't or won't conserve. Refineries are running close to capacity. And speculative investors are pouring money into the crude oil market, further driving up the price.

Why should the oil companies reduce their profits to feed our addiction to oil and succumb to our belief that we are deserved of cheap gas? Even if we in the United States reduce our consumption, prices won't go down because the rest of the world (China/India) would also have to follow suit.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Are you implying that the rise in the cost of gas for cars is being manipulated by oil companies?

Doesn't it have more to do with the worldwide demand of gas? China and India are burning as much oil as they can buy. So is the United States, whose drivers can't or won't conserve. Refineries are running close to capacity. And speculative investors are pouring money into the crude oil market, further driving up the price.

Why should the oil companies reduce their profits to feed our addiction to oil and succumb to our belief that we are deserved of cheap gas? Even if we in the United States reduce our consumption, prices won't go down because the rest of the world (China/India) would also have to follow suit.
    When I visited India in 2004 gas was $1 US per liter making it over $4 a gallon. It has increased since then to about $5 a gallon. Quite pricey considering how much a US $ can buy otherwise.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    They do not need to "manipulate" anything, they are free to set their prices at whatever level they wish (usually what the market will demand).

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Relatedly, I was out doing field work yesterday and stopped to buy a pop. It was $1.57 for 20oz. Luckily, the vending machine at work has them for $1.00 or else I have to kick the habit.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    When I visited India in 2004 gas was $1 US per liter making it over $4 a gallon. It has increased since then to about $5 a gallon. Quite pricey considering how much a US $ can buy otherwise.
    Yes, it is quite pricey. And yet, the demand is not decreasing.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Mercer View post
    My god ski's, what kind of tank do you drive that 120 miles a day costs 1/5th of your income!
    2000 Impala. (For a full work week, one day's worth of income is eaten up by Gas for that work week)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Peoria has $3.46 per gal. It hasn't been below $3 for weeks.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Still 3.21 in the Iowa QC, similar to Peoria across the river . . .

Air is free for my bike tires via my hand pump in the garage.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I haven't owned a car since '99 so i don't really sweat it. That's not to say that the cost of energy doesn't effect me. I had some downright outrageous gas bills over the winter. But we're in the process of weatherproofing the house (it's 122 years old) so we expect next January's bill to be about 1/2 of what it was this year.

In any case, I filled up the car (PhillyCarShare) before i returned it last night. I wasn't paying, it comes with a fleet card, but i noticed that it was $3.07 a gallon. Gas in NJ is about $.17 a gallon cheaper. Most of that is because the gas taxes are a lot less. I used the Prius and, according to the onboard computer, i averaged 42mpg on a 180 mile r/t. So the fuel cost of my trip was about $14. I paid $47 total for the trip. It woudl've cost $56 for two people to take the train.

Anyway, If i drove to work everyday, in that Prius, my weekly gas bill would come to about $1.50. Of course, i don't drive to work, it's only two miles so I normally ride my bike and occasionally i'll walk.

USA Today did a poll recently
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s-prices_N.htm

And what i found astonishing is that 64% said that, no matter what, they would not take transit to work. What's almost as astounding is that 86% said that, no matter what, they wouldn't move closer to work or work closer to home. Another 41% said, no way, no how, will they get a more fuel efficient car. To me, that's the height of an arrogant sense of entitlement.

Sure, it's your choice, spend as much of your discretionary income as you want on transportation. To me, high discretionary spending, on arts, leisure, restaurants, etc is the hallmark of a healthy service economy. When the denizens of your region are sending most of that money to Exxon, Shell, BP, and Citgo they're not spending it at home.

If we have 2 million households in this region and they all spend an extra $20 a month on getting from point A to point B that's almost $500,000,000 a year that they're not spending at home.

I'm not sure how anyone can think that a region where people are unwiling or unable to change their lifestyles has any future. It's basically like putting the nails in your own economic coffin.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Gas prices are yet another reason I'm glad my brother and I took my Mom's car away from her this month. Mom would drive 25 miles to church or 10 to a hairdresser, or 30 to the dentist, come home, go out again 5 miles to the supermarket, go home, go out again 5 miles to the post office, etc. She had cheap gas most of her life and cannot conceive combining trips to save on gas.

Quote Originally posted by jresta
    And what i found astonishing is that 64% said that, no matter what, they would not take transit to work. What's almost as astounding is that 86% said that, no matter what, they wouldn't move closer to work or work closer to home. Another 41% said, no way, no how, will they get a more fuel efficient car. To me, that's the height of an arrogant sense of entitlement.
    I support transit and would use it in a heartbeat. If it was frequent enough and reliable. It is simply very difficult for parents to do that otherwise. "Hey, Ms so and so, your son is puking at school, you need to pick him up". "Sorry, the next train is in two hours, it's off peak hours". That doesn't work.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Boston has a national reputation for being expensive and over-taxed, but gas is cheaper here than many places- $2.98 or so. I go to Maine a lot and it's always more up there. Just spent a week out in southern Utah and I had to pay $3.45 at a few stations.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by jresta View post
    I'm not sure how anyone can think that a region where people are unwiling or unable to change their lifestyles has any future. It's basically like putting the nails in your own economic coffin.
    Here's another article to depress you. I think eventually rising prices will overcome most people's attitudes about the God-given right to drive 3 Hummers. Moving closer to work is more complicated.
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NG2NPU9FD1.DTL

Registered
    Aug 2001
    4 gallons of regular about $13.50, to run the pontoon boat.

I think the price is making people pause and think about the cost of filling up to go. Noticeably less boats and such running on the waters here. I dont mind.

Two wheeled transport is looking better and better too!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    JMELLO - Hope you haven't left yet. I forgot to tell you that the cheapest gas inthe state is in the Burlington / Mebane on I-85/40. For some reason it's always lower than anywhere else.

We always stop in the area to get gas going to the coast and then back again.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I support transit and would use it in a heartbeat. If it was frequent enough and reliable. It is simply very difficult for parents to do that otherwise. "Hey, Ms so and so, your son is puking at school, you need to pick him up". "Sorry, the next train is in two hours, it's off peak hours". That doesn't work.
    But if you drive 60 miles to work it does? I'm just sayin' households with school-aged children are less than 1/4 of all households. I wouldn't say that parents worried about having to pick their kids up from school are really the problem.
    Besides, work-based trips makes up for a minority of VMT, as you pointed out with it's part habit and part living arrangement that get people driving as much as they do.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    JMELLO - Hope you haven't left yet. I forgot to tell you that the cheapest gas inthe state is in the Burlington / Mebane on I-85/40. For some reason it's always lower than anywhere else.
    We always stop in the area to get gas going to the coast and then back again.
    Thanks. I was actually just looking at cheap places to fill up along I-40. Smithfield has some cheap ones too. I plan to join Costco this evening. I have already mapped out all of the Costcos with gas stations along I-40 in Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Pet Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 513
    Last post: 12 Sep 2014, 2:09 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING beer price thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Feb 2014, 2:34 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread