Urban planning community

Poll results: What is the meaning/purpose of life?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Whoever dies with the most toys wins!!!

0 0%
  • Convert 02 into CO2 and provide molecular mass for the sun to go nova

0 0%
  • A bunch of stuff happens and then you die

5 11.90%
  • Preparation for an afterlife

2 4.76%
  • Preparation for the next life on earth

1 2.38%
  • Experience as many positive emotions as possible

1 2.38%
  • Try to help other sentient beings to experience positive emotions

6 14.29%
  • Understand/comprehend as much of the universe as possible

1 2.38%
  • I guess I done never given it much thought.

1 2.38%
  • Achieve nothingness

0 0%
  • To sacrifice oneself for some worthy cause

1 2.38%
  • To establish order to all within one's control

0 0%

9 21.43%
  • Maister, dude, you've framed these answers unfairly by allowing only one vote!

1 2.38%
  • What is this 'life' thing you speak of?

2 4.76%
  • Other (explain below)

8 19.05%
  • Gettin' nookie and spreading as much DNA around as you can

4 9.52%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teh Meaning of Life Thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

Teh Meaning of Life Thread

Figuring out the meaning of life or the purpose of one’s existence can be an onerous task. I’ve taken all the work out of it for you, though, and now you can just point and click the mouse button on the most suitable response from the above poll! Who said life has to be so complex? Well, okay, it might be a little more involved than that, so if you feel like adding a few pertinent comments about your angle on things go right ahead.
    Last edited by Maister; 17 Jul 2007 at 12:56 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    In the words of Spinal Tap:

Have a good time, all the time
    Add on the end, 'and make sure others around you do too' then you have my outlook on life, and therefore for me, the meaning of life.

Teh Meaning of Life:

Really, I was torn between a) sacrificing oneself for a worthy cause, and b) helping others experience positive emotions. Since I consider helping others to be a worthy cause, and I'd have no problems sacrificing myself for said cause, then I went with the first option.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I voted "help others achieve positive emotions".

But I am really suprised you didn't offer this as an option:
    'Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.'
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Nothing on the biological imperative?

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

All of the Planners I have ever met are always trying to help others acheive positive emotions.
    This is a good thing.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I like and will paraphrase Kilgour Trout's observations in Venus on the Halfshell

main character to the creator of the universe(a giant cockroach)

Why did you create us to live and die if all we are here to do is cause ourselves and others pain and in the long run not make a difference in how things turnout?

The answer, Why not?

I'll try to find the exact quote tonight at home.

Or as Kurt Vonnegut put it

From www.vonnegut.com
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Nothing on the biological imperative?
    I figure that was pretty much covered in converting oxygen into CO2...... but I guess that's not exactly the same thing. There, I updated the poll.

Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    But I am really suprised you didn't offer this as an option:
    'Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.'
    I actually wanted to but it was too long as a poll option!!!!
    Last edited by Maister; 17 Jul 2007 at 2:30 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    According to Monty Python, the meaning of life is "People should wear more hats"
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    SAW -
    I thought this was about Monty Python's movie - The Meaning of Life.
    http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/mol/mol.htm

At Wikipedia there is -
    The Answer to The Ultimate Question Of Life, the Universe and Everything is a theoretical solution in Douglas Adams' book series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The "Answer" is simply "42".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ans...and_Everything
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by HarryFossettsHat View post
    In the words of Spinal Tap:

Add on the end, 'and make sure others around you do too' then you have my outlook on life, and therefore for me, the meaning of life.
    ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (shakes fist in air).

I was going to dust off the beauty for this thread. NUTS!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    donk, I love Vonnegut and everything, but, like, 60% of the time, he is such a downer.

Additionally, Life is such an experience that I think its meaning also involves experiencing as many varied things, places, and people as possible. And also do what makes you happy, as long as you don't infringe on the happiness of others - kinda like zoning, now that I think about it.

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    donk, I love Vonnegut and everything, but, like, 60% of the time, he is such a downer.
    what do you expect from the man who brought us bokonism(cat's cradle) and the church of the g*d that does not give a damn(sirens of titan)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Life is the Ups and Downs that you experience on either side of what you think is Normal.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Live life for God's glory everyday in whatever regards that is, not necessarily prepare for an afterlife like the option says (I chose other).
    @GigCityPlanner

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Do as much fun stuff as you can that makes you feel good before you get the dirt sandwich and become worm food.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think 42, the DNA answer and RJ's is the best thus far - though I picked the "what is this life you speak of" answer, only because propagation of the species wasn't yet placed on there

but yes, some religious element should have been added as well, you damn heathen! aarrrrr

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Go forth and multiply.....
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2005
    This thread is too heavy for 6am.....
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Good thing its yesterday at 3:20p . Eh?

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Oh, I think you're capable of handling it just fine! You know, cloaked/encapsulated in many of the humorous poll choices are legit philosophical models/schools of thought....i.e. 'isms' like existentialism, utilitarianism, nihilism, stoicism, epicurianism, etc........I suppose we could have a serious discussion of models of the universe if anyone's feeling up to it. Yep, anyone? Anyone?....Buehler...Buehler?

Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    but yes, some religious element should have been added as well, you damn heathen!
    What, did I neglect to mention that 'nookie' is arguably a divine/sacred concept?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I suppose we could have a serious discussion of models of the universe if anyone's feeling up to it.
    Could we just start with the Swimsuit Issue and work from there?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I picked "I guess I done never given it much thought. ". I've been so darn tired for the last 15 years that anything remotely philosophical goes right over my head (no short jokes, please!)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Good thing its yesterday at 3:20p . Eh?
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Oh, I think you're capable of handling it just fine! You know, cloaked/encapsulated in many of the humorous poll choices are legit philosophical models/schools of thought....i.e. 'isms' like existentialism, utilitarianism, nihilism, stoicism, epicurianism, etc........I suppose we could have a serious discussion of models of the universe if anyone's feeling up to it. Yep, anyone? Anyone?....Buehler...Buehler?

What, did I neglect to mention that 'nookie' is arguably a divine/sacred concept?
    Ha ha deary me!

Well now that is 7.55am i can think.... (well better than at 6am anyway)

I took a course last year about religion and science for uni- it taught me quite a bit and gave me a new outlook on the workings of the universe. In terms of the meaning of life- i will use the im only 24 excuse- too young to know!!!

All i know is some things in the world can be explained through science, some can be explained through religion, some can be explained through both. Too explain ones existence is difficult and full of possibilities- just depends on your outlook.

My existence at the moment is difficult to state- and will probably change in a couple of years im sure... which begs the question as to whether the meaning of life or our existence changes constantly?
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 2001
    WARNING - SECRET ENDING REVEALED TO Kilgour Trout's "epic science fiction classic" Venus on the Half Shell

Simon rose from the chair and cried, "But why? Why? Why? Didn't it know the agony and sorrow it would cause sextillions upon sextillions of living beings to suffer? All for nothing?"

"Yes" Bingo said.

"But why?" Simon Wagstaff shouted. "Why? Why? Why?"

Old Bingo drank a glass of beer, belched and spoke.
    "Why not?"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh mid-life crisis thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 15 Feb 2013, 7:55 PM
  2. The 'It's a Wonderful Life' Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 07 Dec 2012, 11:41 PM
  3. New Meaning For Old Words