Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dwelling units count

Registered
    Jun 2007

Dwelling units count

Hi all.
    I am attempting to count a DU total for an analyses for one of our consultants that we're working with. I am using ARCGIS and am going to do a selection for parcels that are less than an acre. I figure that will give me an accurate count for homes/DU.

HOWEVER, I just thought of the APARTMENT complexes in this area. How could I reasonalbly throw those in the mix? I could query all the Landuses for RD of 5 or greater or something like that.

Any tips/ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Anybody have an idead how to tackle this one?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    It cannot be done. Go back to the census, then plot new building and apartment conversion permits. Also, depending on your community, you may have quite a few dwellings on lots larger than one acre. (with separate units for in-laws, the help, etc.)

So sorry that no one responded within 24 hours.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Try to convert assessment records?

Registered
    Jun 2007

DU Count

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    So sorry that no one responded within 24 hours.

Sorry Mike. I didn't mean to be pushy. Just tryin to come up with a "better way".

I will look on Census again and see what they got.

Thank you very much.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by GISdude View post
    Hi all.
    I am attempting to count a DU total for an analyses for one of our consultants that we're working with. I am using ARCGIS and am going to do a selection for parcels that are less than an acre. I figure that will give me an accurate count for homes/DU.

HOWEVER, I just thought of the APARTMENT complexes in this area. How could I reasonalbly throw those in the mix? I could query all the Landuses for RD of 5 or greater or something like that.

Any tips/ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
    Are you trying to get a total number of dwelling units within the corporate boundary? If so, selecting all parcels that are less than an acre will include both residential and non-residential. I don't understand what Homes/DU means, it sounds like homes per dwelling unit which is contradictory.

I don't know what data you have attached to these shapefiles, but just selecting Landuses of RD of 5 or greater will, at a minimum, only give a number of those parcels with that classification (unless you have data noting the number of dwelling units for each parcel with that classification).

Keep in mind that zoned land uses and existing land uses are not the same. Dwelling units might be found in non-residential zoning districts either as permitted, conditional, or non-conforming uses. The same would go for non-residential within residential districts, etc.

I agree with Chet. Check the dwelling units against the tax assessment records. When you have the free time, import the data into your GIS system.

Registered
    Jun 2007

DU's

I'm wondering what can of worms I opened by taking on this project!

DU's are the homes/townhomes/apartments/condos/mobile homes that I'm querying for.

I thought that the landuse field that is in my shp file would be FAIRLY accurate. But I guess there is the possibility that the Landuses won't actually reflect what the parcel is being used for.

I guess I should make a trip to the assessor's office and see what data they have for the area I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tips.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Maybe an even better source if you can get hands on the data is the billing information tied to the water meter from the utility department. Typically each unit will have its own water meter. The problem with the assessment data is for each individual townhome/apartment is there won't be assessment data for each individual apartment/townhome unit.

I have found this most helpful when I have undertaken such a difficult task.
    I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Jul 2007

Tax Assessment Data

I would have to agree that the tax assessment data is probably the best bet. In my county the assessor's database can be linked to the parcel geometry and it is classed as single family and 2/3/4 family. I think the next class is 8 family. So that may give you a bit of an issue for huge apartment complexes, but would at least give you a starting point capturing a lot of the housing units.

Good luck

Eric

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Land use: general Secondary dwelling units
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Jul 2012, 2:54 PM
  2. Zoning Secondary dwelling units
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Nov 2011, 11:01 AM