Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Texas APA Conference in October

Registered
    Aug 2004

Texas APA Conference in October

Any Lone Star State Cyburbanites planning on attending?

I'm going to try to convince my private sector employer that it's worth it for me to attend, and that they really should either pay my registration, or not penalize my vacation time to attend.

I'm not holding my breath.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I will be there along with one other person from the office. Since our director isn't going, I'll be stuck attempting to stroke our Commission Chair's ego introducing him to other planners , and making sure they can sit together . I just pray I'll be able to drive up seperately or with my co-worker and not have to vanpool it with the whole Commission up to Addison.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Considering it but it's on my own dime so...no commitment until closer to October.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    OK, I am officially registered - on my own dime - for the TxAPA conference in Addison in October. There's a chance that I will get some of the registration reimbursed, but not until after I prove I attended.

Besides Suburban Repairman, any other confirmed attendees??
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I know several lurkers that will probably be there. I bug them once in a while about participating on here more.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I will be there.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Pretty sure that I'm not going to go. It would be on my own dime and I'm still in a serious funk over the way APA has handled the AICP CM issue. As I've said elsewhere in the forums, it's about a 98% certain that I'll drop both APA & AICP when my current membership expires.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Well, for any of you that are going, you will get to see me on stage at the Friday luncheon accepting the 2007 TexasAPA Project Planning Award. Just got the letter today letting me know.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Sweet! Congrats, 'burb Fixer!!

So, do we want to decide when to have the Laefest??

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Sweet! Congrats, 'burb Fixer!!

So, do we want to decide when to have the Laefest??
    Sure, but you know more about the Addison area than I do. My brother lives in Grapevine and a friend of mine lives in Bedford. Outside of those two areas and a few spots in downtown FW and Deep Elum, I don't know much about cool spots in DFW.

Registered
    Aug 2004

All TX Planners Attending the Conference:

There are a TON of places in Addison. I'll take a look and see what's new, too - that place is booming. And it's a great testing ground for new themes and such.

I guess the first task is to determine which night, and the second task is where to meet. I'll look at the restaurant/bar offerings, and later will post search results. We can decide that a little closer to time.

The group really isnt big enough to do a poll. Everyone, take a look at your calendars - which night of the conference is the best for you to do a Laefest?

My vote:
    Wednesday and/or Friday

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wednesday is best for me.

I think Thursday I'll be out with our Commissioners trying to make sure none of them end up with P.I.'s.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just got a note from someone else in the CenTex APA leadership:

The Texas Conference is finally posted on the CM tracking log so we can track our hours for CM we got there.

I know Sal was asking about that, and I think Joe was as well.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    Just got a note from someone else in the CenTex APA leadership:

The Texas Conference is finally posted on the CM tracking log so we can track our hours for CM we got there.

I know Sal was asking about that, and I think Joe was as well.
    Hey, thanks for the update! I was starting to get steamed that it wasn't there, and I was thinking I wasn't going to get any credits . . .

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 06 Jan 2013, 5:16 PM
  2. Texas Conference Oct 3-6
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 06 Oct 2012, 12:35 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 12:30 PM
  4. APA Texas Chapter conference 2009
    Friday Afternoon Club