Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mobile home covenant enforceable?

Registered
    Jul 2007

Mobile home covenant enforceable?

Covenant says, "Mobile homes or mobile or temporary living quarters of any kind are prohibited. This covenant shall not be construed to exclude the occasional use of tents for recreational or sleeping purposes as a guest or family supplement."

Are owners allowed to park RV's by their house - not living in them? If not, would this be enforceable? Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I would say no, RVs are not permitted, but this is something that must be determined and enforced by the HOA -- not at all a zoning issue.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    The Homeowners Assoc said there is no issue. So there is no way to go around the HOA to enforce this through the law? Thanks

Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner... View post
    I would say no, RVs are not permitted, but this is something that must be determined and enforced by the HOA -- not at all a zoning issue.
    However, the local zoning ordinance may have a provision regarding this. The local p&z dept would only enforce the ordinance, not any covenant.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    As Random Planner mentioned this technically is not a zoning issue, but an HOA issue as stated. That said if Zoning in the City prohibits them the City Ordinance is the higher power. The HOA can be more restrictive, but not less restrictive.

I would argue that a 5th wheel is a temporary living quarter, but one could make the aguement an RV is a vehicle and not a "temporary living quarter". Thats a tough one. You still have options, you can push the issue with the HOA by filing a claim. Not my suggestion but if its a clear case usually the HOA will back down when they realize how much money it will cost to fight the issue. That said you (being and HOA member) and others will end up paying for all the attorney fees! I'd go to the City level and see if they are permitted. Usually, stricter HOA covenants have an area related to storage of items, have you read through the covenants pretty well???

Registered
    Jun 2007
    yup, I agree with the "its a hoa issue, not the city's" replies.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 12 Mar 2012, 5:07 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 13 Oct 2010, 3:43 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Feb 2008, 9:46 PM
  4. Mobile home park storm shelter
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1