Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Celebration, Florida (scary)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I've been to Celebration and had the same impression -- it was a fake community built for show. And being a week day, I don't remember seeing anyone outside at all -- in the commercial or residential areas.

It was an article about Levittown in the Onion that said "As an American citizen, you have the right to live among people whose age, income, number of children, habits, topics of conversation, modes of dress, possessions, and religious beliefs are identical to yours." Congratulations.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I saw this movie one time called "Colony" where Hal Linden's character created this scary city reminiscent of Celebration. He had a central surveillance system with cameras in every room of every house monitoring each person's moves. Creepy
    Trying to get my grubby hands on as much stimulus money as I can.:D

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jread View post
    So, I was in Florida for a week and decided to visit Celebration while we were in the Orlando area. It's basically an entire New Urbanist town created by Disney. I know, that's a bit scary, but we drove over to see what the fuss was about.
    I've been over there a couple of times. My experience was, as stated in other posts, sterile and "fake feeling". I have a book I bought (and read) a few years ago, I think the title is "The Celebration Chronicles" (the name escapes me at the moment). Either way, the book I'm thinking of was written by a fellow who decided to live in Celebration and document his experiences there. This was during the beginning of the community.

Here's an interesting little story told to me by a landscape architect friend of mine.

Several years ago his daughter was participating in a martial arts competition in (or around) Celebration. One morning he stopped in at a little bakery in the "downtown" area and bought some pastries and coffee and such (I know the shop as my wife and I stopped in once). While in the shop a woman rode up on a cruiser-type bicycle with a large basket on the front. She was heartily greeted by the person behind the counter who promptly brought out what apparently was her usual order. This was all done in the presence of mostly out-of-towners apparently in for the competition or just eye-balling the town.

He got his order and headed back to the hotel. When he got there he realized that he forgot to order for his wife (or something along those lines). Anyway, back he went, waited on line and as he was paying for his (second) order the same woman rolled up on the same bicycle, had the same exchange with the same employee and picked up the same order and rode off.

He said it was a bit disconcerting.

I suppose, along with the weather machines, if you can't make it, fake it.

Give me Hoboken, NJ any day of the week. I'll take some real dirt and grit over fake spit and polish any day.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 24 Jul 2007 at 5:12 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JayEM View post
    I wish there were more incentives in cities for small property owners to stay that way. And I wish there were incentives for developers working with undeveloped land to consider human scale.
    I think you can find many instances where large buildings do consider human scale - Vancouver, BC is the best example of many of those buildings, but you can find plenty of examples in the US as well.

And, if you were a small property owner, would you feel it necessary for the city to try and force you to stay that way? Suppose you wanted to move up and become a larger property owner or sell and get out of the business? Should cities be discouraging either of those occurences?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Handsome or Scary?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 12:01 PM
  2. Are you scary?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 59
    Last post: 27 Apr 2006, 3:06 PM
  3. Scary Movies