Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Substantial paycut in order to move?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Substantial paycut in order to move?

Would anyone ever take a severe paycut, say $5/hour less, in order to move and establish yourself in a desired part of the country?

Just wondering...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Wow, that's roughly $10,400 less in yearly salary. To even consider it, the cost of living would have to be a hell of a lot less in the new location. And career wise, there would have to be extreme benefits in terms of promotional opportunities and recognition at the new location. If it's a move that will make me happy with where I'm living, financially put me in a position where I can afford to live there, and offer a lot as far as career potential, then I just "might" make such a move.....and I emphasize might.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planning Fool View post
    To even consider it, the cost of living would have to be a hell of a lot less in the new location. And career wise, there would have to be extreme benefits in terms of promotional opportunities and recognition at the new location. If it's a move that will make me happy with where I'm living, financially put me in a position where I can afford to live there, and offer a lot as far as career potential, then I just "might" make such a move.....and I emphasize might.
    I agree.

About 5 years ago I would have seriously entertained it.
    My big concern now is the benefits -
    vacation - giving up 3 weeks to start over at 2 weeks.
    how may years until I am vested in the retirement plan, here it was 10 yrs.
    to have medical, dental, & vision >70% paid for.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    I did it. I took about a 20k a year pay cut (from about 55 to 35k) to move to a really cool area I wanted to. It was totally worth it- but the cost of living was substantially lower. Definately was worth it though.

Then after a few years I took a significant raise to move somewhere else I wanted to. (But I still have serious thoughts of taking another cut and moving back somewhere like that)

Registered
    May 2005
    That's a lot of money to lose. For me, the two biggest thing would be potential for advancement/salary increases at the new position, and benefits. But then again, I have a family with two kids so moving for me would be much harder.

But then again, there are so many variables involved in deciding whether or not to take a new position, it's really hard to say.......

Registered
    Aug 2002

And the answer is...

It depends. Some questions to consider:
    • Will the pay cut and move impact others - i.e., spouse, kids? Obviously they would need to be involved in the decision-making.
    • Does the new job provide advantages over the job you have now with respect to responsibilities, work environment, benefits, etc.?
    • Does the new job and/or location provide opportunities for career advancement?
    • How does the cost of living in the new location compare to where you are now?
    • Are there other jobs available close by, just in case this one doesn't work out?

Although it did not involve moving out of the area, I once took a substantial pay cut so I could leave a work environment that was very stressful. At that point, my unhappy situation was affecting many aspects of my life, and we decided that the money was just not worth it anymore. It doesn't sound like that's the issue for you, but sometimes one factor outweighs all the others, and you just know it's what you have to do.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    zman

just did it. cut salary in half. 1 hour commute down to 5 minutes. dinner with family every night. bought cheaper house; downsized life a little.

it can be done. but it is a big life change, like stepping into the abyss. praying a little helps also.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I believe in always moving forward.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I think I would consider it if I was unhappy where I was. Will the new job/place provide a better quality of life and cheaper cost of living? That's a big question to ponder.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I did it. I left a better paying job in Ketchikan, Ak, to work for the county here. The negative was that it took me a few years to get my finances back on track. The positive was a better work environment, better benefits, a better place to live, and far less gray skies and rainy days. It was hard with a baby on the way but I do not regret my decision. I was not happy where I was.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Well, the thing is, and my wife called someone who knows the work situation there, is that we decided it was not worth it. Seems that the department advertsing the job is rife with much of the things that frustrate me in my current position.

So we'll wait it out. See what happens.

Thanks for the advise. Of course, I would consider scaling back and working for less, but the work environment has to be good-- I've lost enough hair in my current place of work.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Zman I am looking at a very similar situation. The effective pay cut would be about $4k and no longer Senior in front of my title, which I don't care about. Titles don't mean much IMO, its what you do! The upside, I'd be "THE MAN" over my area and a lot of flexibility to run things how I want to. On top of it all, no monster commute into downtown - 1+ hr down to 15 minutes... Thats a bit plus! Trying to figure out what I want to do as well. If I leave it'd be in hopes the position we become something more in the future as the town is growing...

OFF TOPIC -

Surprised you are considering moving out of your location! My dad is up in your neck of the woods visiting his brother, then on to Devil's Tower, Badlands, Black Hills, Bryce Canyon, Glacier, Tetons, and Yellowstone. I'm a bit jealous... Been awhile since I've done a good road trip!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Already done. You just have to be sure the cost of living at the new place isn't going to wipe you out.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I did it last year. I took a huge hit but in the end it was worth it if it got us back to Texas. I do miss the money and our spending habits had to change but if the office is a good fit I'd say go for it. However, knowing what you know, I would never put myself in a position to be miserable with less money, I'd rather be miserable with more money to do things I like in my off time.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Zman, Are you looking in Salina, KS???

You know that Salina is the 8th inexpensive place to live.....

Really, I don't know how they came up with those numbers because I don't think it is all that inexpensive but i have been waiting to be able to say that!!
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    There is a great town south of Salina called McPherson... Guess I'm hijacking this thread! I'll stop just curious if anyone has been there.

Zman, if you aren't happy in the current situation I'd say bail. In my opinion life is too short and definatly too short too waste your time unhappy in a job even if it pays a few $K more per year...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Yep, I'm going to keep looking around. My current leads (and recent interviews) have not panned out thus far, but we'll see what the future brings.

My workload for the next couple months will be changing, so that should help me a bit. I'm meeting with the bosses today to discuss the shuffling around and reassigning of my projects in order for me to help with a substantial software update and data entry task that will carry me out for the rest of the year.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Birth order
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 102
    Last post: 23 May 2007, 2:15 PM
  2. 2005 Draft Order
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 14 Dec 2004, 4:15 PM
  3. Law and Order episode Nov 10, 2004