Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is Florida "concurrency" on the way out ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Is Florida "concurrency" on the way out ?

It appears that the invironmentalists and the developers have jointly come to the conclusion that it is time to drive a stake into the heart of the one of the dumbest policy moves ever made in the history of planning.
    Tom Pelham is not in the developer's camp, he was chief counsel for "The 1000 Friends of Florida". As he is present head of the DCA, I am greatly encouraged by his present view of "concurrency".
    Check this Link. http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...707220334/1003

DCA Secretary Vows Growth Plan Fix (July 16, 2007)
    Florida's Department of Community Affairs Secretary Tom Pelham promised last week that his department will attempt to revise the state's Growth Management Act in the 2008 session of the Florida Legislature to eliminate some of the unnecessary restrictions on development. Pelham, a Tallahassee attorney serving his second stint as DCA Secretary, said the Legislature should revamp the transportation concurrency scheme in the current Growth Management Act as it applies to urban areas. "It's had the effect of creating sprawl and adding to the cost of housing," said Pelham. "We have to remove concurrency as a barrier to those areas where we need development. Pelham spoke at a luncheon at the SEBC Leaders Advantage program, along with Tallahassee attorney and FHBA outside legal counsel Linda Shelley of Fowler White. Both Pelham and Shelley assailed the potential negative effects of the proposed constitutional amendment known as Hometown Democracy. "If this measure was to make the ballot and pass, chaos would reign in our state," said Pelham
    Last edited by Inventor; 22 Jul 2007 at 2:22 PM. Reason: Added more info

Registered
    Jan 2005
    How is this evidence that he will "drive a stake into concurrency"? These remarks reveal that Pelham wants to tweak it, not kill it as you're asserting.

Pelham has been on both sides. Yes, he is the current (and former) DCA head, but he's made most of his money working in private practice for developers, teaching them how to skirt the rules he played a major role in crafting. So he has very much been in the "developer's camp".

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Moderator note:
    Last new thread on the same subject for you, Inventor. I believe the dead horse you're beating could be the one-trick pony you brought in... Either find an old thread with the same tired material in which to make these posts, or simply stop.

We are reasonable, we are interested in your point of view, and some people might even want to continue discussing this particular subject. However, I don't want another thread regarding the very same issue again. Understand this and comply.

- Mastiff
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Moderator note:
    Last new thread on the same subject for you, Inventor. I believe the dead horse you're beating could be the one-trick pony you brought in... Either find an old thread with the same tired material in which to make these posts, or simply stop.

We are reasonable, we are interested in your point of view, and some people might even want to continue discussing this particular subject. However, I don't want another thread regarding the very same issue again. Understand this and comply.

- Mastiff
    We figured his dumbass out weeks ago...boy are you guys slow. One trick pony, insult everyone in FL. He's a whining big ass baby. Ban his ass. p.s. I have been a planner in FL for 25 years and I bet INVENTOR is what a fricking newcomer? I have met, dealt with, know Pelham and he is SO not a developers' shill. REAL planners in FL have respect for someone who really really tried to change things but was hogtied by politicians. And since Pelham left DCA and went to 1000 Friends... which is SOOOO not developer friendly. Sorry, just one chance we have. If people like INVENTOR have a say in FL we will be raped big time, concrete city etc. Mastiff, yellow card me, whatever...

AND... I worked 15 years in the county just south of Citrus which you are trying to develop. HOO BOY your attitude will make those small time county commissioners shoot you down just on principle! You gotta get off your Yankee high horse, bud!
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 22 Jul 2007 at 9:50 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    We figured his dumbass out weeks ago...boy are you guys slow. One trick pony, insult everyone in FL. He's a whining big ass baby. Ban his ass. p.s. I have been a planner in FL for 25 years and I bet INVENTOR is what a fricking newcomer? I have met, dealt with, know Pelham and he is SO not a developers' shill. REAL planners in FL have respect for someone who really really tried to change things but was hogtied by politicians. And since Pelham left DCA and went to 1000 Friends... which is SOOOO not developer friendly. Sorry, just one chance we have. If people like INVENTOR have a say in FL we will be raped big time, concrete city etc. Mastiff, yellow card me, whatever...
    What's the use in giving you a yellow card? You, dear, are one of the reasons he is still getting play time at WCYB. While we might get tired of breaking up the playground scuffles, it would never have gotten this far if he hadn't been enabled by the people taking the bait.

Again, says I, learn from him... but people refuse. Look at your post again, and imagine saying it aloud in a meeting. I would lay odds you've never used "dumbass", "big assed baby", or "frickin'" aloud in a public forum when doing your job. Even if you've been doing it for twenty-five years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Tom Pelham's view

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    How is this evidence that he will "drive a stake into concurrency"? These remarks reveal that Pelham wants to tweak it, not kill it as you're asserting.

Pelham has been on both sides. Yes, he is the current (and former) DCA head, but he's made most of his money working in private practice for developers, teaching them how to skirt the rules he played a major role in crafting. So he has very much been in the "developer's camp".
    Hello Hilldweller,
    I will defer to your greater experience and knowledge of Mr. Pelham's view. I did not think that the chief council for "1000 Friends" would be in the developer camp, or even be unbiased. I am pleased to hear that I might be mistaken.
    In my enthusiasm for his current view, I obviously over stated the case. However it is clear that he intends to make a dramatic change in Transportation Concurrency as it applies to "urban areas". It is not clear how the DCA will define "urban areas" for this particular purpose. This is very important as "transportation concurrency " is the main thing in the concurrency controversy.

Mr. Mastiff,
    My latest post is new material that came to light in the last few days. It is extremely important to the planning and development communities and the economy of Florida.
    It was posted in a new thread because the previous thread had been closed, apparently because certain contributors do not want to hear a developers view. I have had now trouble communicating with Hilldweller and have found his views to be valuable and informative. I have noted a lack of substance in the views of some others.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Inventor View post
    Mr. Mastiff,
    My latest post is new material that came to light in the last few days. It is extremely important to the planning and development communities and the economy of Florida.
    It was posted in a new thread because the previous thread had been closed, apparently because certain contributors do not want to hear a developers view. I have had now trouble communicating with Hilldweller and have found his views to be valuable and informative. I have noted a lack of substance in the views of some others.
    You hear, but you don't listen. This will be the last in the "Inventor Series" unless something really new comes along. Feel free to participate in other... previously open... threads. I hope I'm being clear.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I sooooooo do not care anymore...... Carve it up and sell it one 1/8 acre lot at a time. Build more outlet malls in that wonderfull strip shooping configuration along any road with more than 1,000 vpd. Who cares? Things change, water runs out, wildlife dies off, economies fail......There is no stopping this train.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Moderator note:
    Plannergirl Mod hat on-
    Zoning Goddess your behavior has grown increasingly hostile, confrontational and belligerent both to another user and the Mod team. Yes we have all monitored this thread, Mastiff is not acting alone. If you can not control yourself and not attack other users you will receive a suspension.

I do not like to put on the mod hat, if users can not respectfully disagree and hold rational discussions then please do not read or engage that user or users in debate. Ignore the user and move on. Otherwise the Mod Squad will step in.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I guess I am one of those "Yankee" Planners that moved to Florida. I cannot even begin to discribe the Planning Issues in FL. All of this State oversight does not work. Florida is not a Planners Paradise.

On another note I have tried on numerous occations to get involved with the Florida Chapter of APA with no results..... I guess it is a closed group. Not even the courtesy of a return phone call.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 11 Dec 2007, 10:45 PM
  3. Florida concurrency
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 27 Jun 2007, 4:26 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM