Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job offer: what would you do?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Job offer: what would you do?

Just curious... You have been in a job just less than 2yrs... Its a 1+ hour commute to your current job in a major City. You enjoy your current job, but have a kid on the way and do not like the commute. A job offer pops up from a small suburb on the fringe of town that is growing at a high rate. The job would be only a 10 minute commute though would pay about $4k less. Positives would be you would have room to form the City from the ground up, a comp plan has been adopted but no standards, details, etc... What would you do? I thought I'd jump on it because -
    1. It would be a fun position starting from scratch with a lot of flexibility / 2. I'd be much closer to home for when the little one arrives, so I could help out with things...

Thoughts??? I rarely worry about stuff but for some reason lost some sleep over it a couple nights ago... Just thought I'd get some input...

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    If it's only 4K, that's not a big problem. The savings in gas and wear/tear on your car (assuming you drive for the current commute) would probably makeup for the difference.

Would this be a step up in position/responsibility? If so, definiately go for it. Provided benefits are equal or better than current.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Take it. Life is too short to miss any time with your child. You will make up the salary loss in no time.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Take it. Life is too short to miss any time with your child. You will make up the salary loss in no time.
    what he said.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    "Thirded" that notion. Take it, the salary loss is nothing compared to being close to family.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    "Thirded" that notion. Take it, the salary loss is nothing compared to being close to family.
    I agree with the rest of the bunch. It's not a huge decrease in salary and what you'll save in gas and commuter stress may be worth it. Also you'll be closer to your growing family and nothing beats that. Plus working in a jurisdiction that is smaller, but growing rapidly may give you an opportunity to get involved in more of a variety of tasks/projects instead of being pigeon holed into one specific function, as can happen with larger depts.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Crunch the #'s man. See how much you would save in gas and car maintenance before you make a decision. I would think that the $4000 would be a lot less once you take that into account. I guess I am saying what everyone else said, but you have to crunch the #'s for yourself. Also, you have to take into account the value of time outside of your car. How much is that worth to you. Add that into the equation as well.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 2004

Take it....

But try your best to get them to pay what you make now........ Do they have night meetings? Anything different at all that might justify the same salary....and if they are really growing....they should be able to pay you the same salary.....don't just let that go......good luck
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I guess it all depends on your first kid. Mine cried-- no screamed 23 hours a day for the first three weeks. I had to go to work to get a break and the hour commute was an extra break. Now two more kids later and still in the same 1-hour commute I want nothing more than to be home with my kids. Two years in a job is probably not enough time to make any real community of professional connections. So if you leave, those two aspects will not likely be lost. And if you do leave you will have an opportunity to make connections with your new one that you would not otherwise have had. It just kills me to hear my kids say, "Pa Pa, why do you have so many night meetings?" That, on top of my hour long commute.

I don't think your decision should be based on the numbers. If you are really hard up for money, that would be one thing. However if you can, opt for the the family time. Trust me-- I don't think you will regret it.

Registered
    May 2005
    The commute/family conundrum would do it for me. If your commute is one hour both ways, that's 20 hours a month you won't be with your family (and as they get older, the time between dinner and bed is a small one that you want to maximize).

If your commute is one hour EACH way, that's 40hours a month you are away from them!

The salary will balance itself out as others have said, and you will be a happier, tighter family for the extra time.

Its hard for me to compare the specifics of the job, but if it sounds interesting to you, I'd say go for it.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks everyone for the input... Yeah the $4k difference is after I've crunched all the numbers, not before... So that includes wear and tear on the vehicle, gas, etc... etc... When I figure it all out I'm getting paid an additional $7 each way to make the commute everyday. Which I guess I'd gladly give up, but I'm going back in pay which irks me a bit as I've never done that. That said too they tell me that they are already offering me as much as they have, no wiggle room... They think I'll be back up at my pay within a year and a half if not sooner, but I'm a bit skeptical. My experience in municipal work is if you don't get it up front you won't unless you receive a big promotion... Oh well looks like I'll do it...

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'd agree with the other posters, and say go for it. One hour commute versus family time? No brainer.

Congrats on the offer! When do you start?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    [QUOTE=Vlaude;395859]Yeah the $4k difference is after I've crunched all the numbers, not before... They think I'll be back up at my pay within a year and a half if not sooner, but I'm a bit skeptical. My experience in municipal work is if you don't get it up front you won't unless you receive a big promotion... QUOTE]

If you don't have wiggle room now, what makes you think there will be any in the future (tight budget perhaps?). Find out if they have a step increase in salary (6 months or 12 months) and how long it would take to earn what you are making now (if not also a cost of a living adjustment +what you are making now). Do they offer merit based increases? (might sound promising, but you could also be shooting yourself in the foot if you work your butt off at this lower salary and barely get any raise (like me ) If you are making $4k less, than that might also mean less employer-matched 401k contributions.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Accepted unfunded offer
    Student Commons
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 21 Jul 2011, 9:23 AM
  2. Help evaluating a job offer
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Mar 2008, 8:17 PM
  3. Offer advice
    Career Development and Advice