Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Pacific Northwest

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

Pacific Northwest

Good Morning,

I am planning on touring the pacific northwest (Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia) sometime in early February (I am planning on going to school out there in a few years for landscape architecture (and possibly a second degree in planning) and ultimately re-settling there afterwords).

I am going to be looking into schools out there including Washington State University and University of Washington at Seattle. Can anyone recommend any other schools in this area? (preferably the US) that has a landscape architecture program? (accredited).

I also plan on scheduling informational interviews with several consulting firms (not so much to look for work but to learn more about who they are, what projects they do, etc.). Can anyone recommend any design firms in this area, preferably focusing on physical site design, landscape architecture, or archiecture?

Can anyone recommend any completed projects that I ought to see? It does not necessarily have to be limited to Oregon's Pearl Street, but can even be residential subdivisions, PUD's, industrial (again it can be in any of these states/provinces). I want to understand the similarities/differences between development within this area of the country versus the midwest.

Finally, I am very interested in the native flora of the region. Are there any arborteums, botanic gardens, natural areas that I should check out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Well, Zimmer Gunsul Frasca (ZGF) is a big design/planning/architecture firm in Portland. I did an informational interveiw with Paddy Tillet who heads up their planning division. I'm not in a position to refer you, but I bet he'd respond if you cold-called. Nice guy.

Natural features: if you have time, try to hit the different climate areas: coastal, valley, cascade mountains, eastern dessert. . . the Columbia river gorge is really stunning, lots of unique flora (some kinda "microclimate" they say). In Washington, take a hike in the Olympic national park, and bring a raincoat. Also the Japanese and Chinese gardens in Portland are wonderful.

In Portland there is an experimental bioswale project to filter and slow surface runoff, some can be seen near downtown just west of PSU.

The restaurant culture in Portland is getting really amazing, with tons of indie chefs that are really taking advantage of local produce, including wine, beer, and dairy, as well as veggies. Great bread and coffee in Portland, too. There are new places opening all the time.

I miss my hometown!

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Well, this question is right up my alley.

Seattle and the Pacific NW is booming like it has never before in fact, there are so many new projects that want to get built they are having trouble finding cranes to build the new buildings. Apparently much of the Olympic construction in China is taking away this resource. Anyway...

As far as what is new and hip in the way of architecture, all you have to do is look for the dozens of cranes up in the City of Seattle and Bellevue. Head to downtown Seattle and check out the new library, Seattle Art Museum, and Olympic Sculpture Garden. Any number of new glass and steel buildings lining the outskirts of downtown (Belltown, Capitol Hill, Beacon Hill). The whole six story mixed use condo building has never been more popular in neighborhoods than it is right now either. Go to the Ballard section of Seattle for mulitiple examples of this type of construction. This is also my favorite neighborhood, old school fishing docks (The Deadliest Catch crab boats all moor here), good neighborhoods and construction going on like CRAZY. It makes me really really glad I bought a nice house in the 'hood before property in the NW went the way of San Francisco and NYC prices.

I am unsure of any schools in the area that are accredited besides UW, maybe check out Seattle University, Seattle Pacific University, Portland State, and Western Washington Univ.

For natural flora, the Buchart Gardens in Victoria BC cannot be beat, if you are going to be here in the most miserable part of the year anyway you might as well go to the most "British" City in all of Canada when it is nice and cloudy out.

Other places for local plant life include the Washington Arboretum located off of Hwy 520 and Interstate 5 close to the University of WA.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Thank you both for your advice

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. plans in the pacific
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Nov 2011, 10:51 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Jul 2009, 4:13 PM