Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: CURP certification?

Registered
    Jul 2002

CURP certification?

Has anyone become CURP certified? Does anyone know why a person would become CURP certified?
    http://www.curp.us/
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Must. Not. Explode. With. Cynicism.

Why, it looks like 'competition' for AICP if I didn't know any better. Whoops, did I just put quotes around the word competition. I didn't intend to.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2003
    There is this -
    APA’s “position” on CURP

Recently, an email solicitation was sent to a number of APA leaders, with the subject line "CURP Planner Certification". We would encourage any leaders who received this message not to distribute this material to any APA membership groups. Further advice from APA on this issue will be forthcoming. Thanks very much! Sincerely,

Mike Welch
    American Planning Association
    Director of Leadership

Found on http://www.kcapa.org/
    Last edited by JNA; 23 Jul 2007 at 2:59 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Why, it looks like 'competition' for AICP if I didn't know any better. Whoops, did I just put quotes around the word competition. I didn't intend to.
    Never heard of it.

Here's some information from whois.us:

Domain Name CURP.US
    Domain ID D13405011-US
    Sponsoring Registrar TUCOWS INC.
    Domain Status ok
    Registrant ID TUPLGGE1VHMQ5STI
    Registrant Name Richard Jaffeson
    Registrant Organization Richard Jaffeson
    Registrant Address1 (see the whois.us site)
    Registrant City Burtonsville
    Registrant State/Province MD
    Registrant Postal Code 20866
    Registrant Country United States
    Registrant Country Code US
    Registrant Phone Number (see the whois.us site)

I Googled "Richard Jaffeson", and found nothing related to planning. The name is associated with the "Executive Director of the National Certification Commission", but I can't find any Web site for the "National Certification Commission".

Richard C. Jaffeson
    Executive Director
    National Certification Commission
    PO Box 15282
    Chevy Chase, MD 20825

EDIT: it looks like one person's respoonse to the AICP new continuing education requirements. From http://user1291700.sites.myregistere.../curp/id5.html

9. What happened to AICP renewal?

There are newly approved requirements pertaining to continuing education where 32 contact hours of training are mandatory every two years, which was unanimously approved in April 2007 (effective starting January 2008).

The following are issues to consider regarding these renewal requirements.

a. Most certification programs operate renewal within a 3-5 year timeframe, and the longer allocation depends upon the anticipated degree of modification within a profession. The general guideline for continuing education is that it should be more frequent and extensive when there are constantly changing conditions of practice and high public expectations of performance, e.g., medical practitioners. City planning does not generally operate under similarly stringent conditions nor has such rapidly evolving practices.

b. With a two year timeframe, designates are constantly in the process of acquiring courses, and administrators are in a similar continuous mode of notification, verification, and acceptance, and confirmation.

c. Thirty-two (32) contact hours annually represents 16 hours per year which translates yearly into approximately 10 evenings sessions, or 5 half-day sessions, or 3 full-day sessions. Adhering to this cycle, planners maintaining AICP certification are mandated to perpetually acquire continuing education until retirement (65 years old) or termination of the credential. The necessity for this level of acquisition is questionable.

d. Within a two year timeframe, providers and educators also must be constantly modifying and developing courses. Our field is not sufficiently changing to require such commitment, as evidenced by the fact that no continuing education was previously mandated for certification.

e. Inherent in this process, there are regional inconsistencies in terms of providers, educators, courses, and options (alternative credit). This assumes continuing education typically is acquired at the local level, and thus there are significant differences between regional products and services.

This will be compounded by other options for credit acquisition, although continuing education is the mainstay, by serving as a volunteer instructor, participating in conference sessions, and delivering professional papers; and again there will be regional differences in opportunities.

In certification, requirements (granted, regular, and renewal) must be consistent and applicable to all candidates and designates regardless of location or position.

f. There is also the question of knowledge attainment through the medium of continuing education. Contact hours are awarded based upon attendance and not substantive information acquired about the subject. In continuing education, documents of completion are awarded based upon 80% or 90% attendance.

g. Expenses for such training in most instances will exceed renewal fees from the association, and costs could vary from $25 to $100 or more per contact hour (32 in total) depending upon providers (public or private). This represents a continuous expense also characterized by regional differences.

In certification, participant expenses should be reasonable for the representative profession or occupation, and also nationally consistent and universally applicable.

h. At one time, AICP certification included an oral exam component, and there were significant regional differences in terms of presentations and evaluations, and reviews were sometimes subject to favoritism. These issues were finally recognized, and eventually the oral exam was discontinued. There are similar concerns related to past oral reviews and new renewal requirements.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    It could also be just someone's attempt to make money from "certifications." For $35 you can get certified. I wonder if he has other fields in which he offers certification, such as nursing, diesel mechanics, etc.

Registered
    Jul 2002

curp

He needs to hire Sally Struthers to do a pitch on tv at 2 in the morning. I thought the guy might be from Nigeria.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    I thought the guy might be from Nigeria.
    Hehehee...somebody must've watched Dateline, right?
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    It could also be just someone's attempt to make money from "certifications." For $35 you can get certified. I wonder if he has other fields in which he offers certification, such as nursing, diesel mechanics, etc.
    Wouldn't Sally Struthers be running it then?

EDIT: Wow... 2 minutes behind Tom on that joke!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2002

curp

Quote Originally posted by Planning Fool View post
    No, I just check my in-box when I get home.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Which gets me thinking: we've all met planners that are "AICP, AIA" and "AICP, J.D.", but are there any planners that are "AICP, ASE" ?

Quote Originally posted by Planning Fool View post

"Why don't you have a seat over there. Do you realize what you've done here? Did you know that zoning code is 13 years old? "

Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB Dan
    If you are ASE certified you would be able to wear a patch on your workshirt sleeve.
    what do we get - a small lapel pin.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    "Why don't you have a seat over there. Do you realize what you've done here? Did you know that zoning code is 13 years old? "
    Dan, we so need an animated "LOL" smiley. Because in instances like this, it's really all that will do!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jul 2002

curp

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Which gets me thinking: we've all met planners that are "AICP, AIA" and "AICP, J.D.", but are there any planners that are "AICP, ASE" ?
    ...and a "BMF" besides.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 24 Jul 2007 at 8:58 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    WALSTIB

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. CAD certification
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 May 2008, 2:55 PM
  3. Replies: 3