Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Re-thinking a traditional suburban strip

     
    Registered
    Jan 2005

Re-thinking a traditional suburban strip

I am working with a community (township, 12 minutes from a
    major city, middle class, population 30,000)
    who has a familiar strip "service" road, complete with every
    fast food restaurant, a K-Mart, two major grocery stores, etc.
    They have recently lost some of their retail to a nearby
    growing shopping district. The area is still very viable
    and the stores are very well kept, but they do have a few
    vacancies, and are looking to the future. "How do we find
    a niche, make it more pedestrian friendly, etc." is the
    focus of a community "visioning" group that we will soon be
    organizing. I know these are common and frustrating
    questions. Does anyone have any examples or case studies
    of communities going through a similar process?
    This will be nothing grandiose probably, just some
    re-working and re-thinking.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Its malls and store centers that are cool now than a strip .It is too costly to have 50' to 80's strip.

Most will by a lot and have no less than 8 stores in a lot than to have small lot and only one owner that owns the small lot and store.

Also it is plazas now and store centers that cities are doing to cut down on the cost.

But most CBD still have anti- sprawl policy and still go with store-fronts and store strips .And charge people who drive in there CBD to get people to walk than drive.

Calgary and Thunder Bay for the most part have destroyed the stip and CBD to replace it with power centers and big box stores like Walmart,K-Mart , Zellers , Sears, Costco , IKEA, Superstore, Rona,building box,home depot so on.To pay rent than to line it up on a strip and each store has to have its own parking lot.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Walking from home to store to shop and carry bags of groceries along with trying to keep up with kids while trying to safely cross streets while hoping it is not raining is not an ideal. It is a myth. They drive. It is safer, more convenient, and faster.

On the strip center: If the land behind the strip center is vacant or has been sufficiently devalued by the strip center itself, I recommend considering building a matching set of buildings spaced apart from the original building so that a pedestrian outdoor "mall" could be created. Parking would be on the outside with passageways leading into the central "mall."

Air conditioned malls draw customers. Outdoor un-air conditioned malls are less expensive.

An example of that would be The Market in The Woodlands Texas, and Highland Village in Jackson Mississippi.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nec209 View post
    Its malls and store centers that are cool now than a strip .It is too costly to have 50' to 80's strip.

Most will by a lot and have no less than 8 stores in a lot than to have small lot and only one owner that owns the small lot and store.

Also it is plazas now and store centers that cities are doing to cut down on the cost.

But most CBD still have anti- sprawl policy and still go with store-fronts and store strips .And charge people who drive in there CBD to get people to walk than drive.

Calgary and Thunder Bay for the most part have destroyed the stip and CBD to replace it with power centers and big box stores like Walmart,K-Mart , Zellers , Sears, Costco , IKEA, Superstore, Rona,building box,home depot so on.To pay rent than to line it up on a strip and each store has to have its own parking lot.
    Moderator note:
    In the future, check the date of the original post before you respond to a thread. Please don't reply to or bump such ancient threads such as these, which have seen their last post over a decade ago. The odds are infinitesimal that the original poster is still checking the thread for responses.

If you're interested in the subject of an old thread, we encourage you to start a new thread, and include a link back to the original.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Walking from home to store to shop and carry bags of groceries along with trying to keep up with kids while trying to safely cross streets while hoping it is not raining is not an ideal. It is a myth. They drive. It is safer, more convenient, and faster.
    That is mistake you don't do shoping every weak you do it every day.Go to the UK they have small fridge and cupboard..

And the street are much safer down town Toronto because there is no where to speed to and speed is only 40KM or 50KM.

On the strip center: If the land behind the strip center is vacant or has been sufficiently devalued by the strip center itself, I recommend considering building a matching set of buildings spaced apart from the original building so that a pedestrian outdoor "mall" could be created. Parking would be on the outside with passageways leading into the central "mall."
    But we don't want malls or strip centers we want the 50's , 60' and 70 ' strip.

Why should I pay rent for space if I'm shop owner I don't want to pay rent or have other stores and I want my own store and parking.

And other problem I don't want cars parking in front of my store and walking to an other store in the same parking lot.If you go to my store than park in front of my store if not than do not park there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 40
    Last post: 23 May 2011, 12:57 PM
  2. The ugliest strip plaza ever
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 12 Apr 2009, 12:13 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Sep 2005, 5:23 PM
  4. Not another strip mall
    Design, Space, and Place