Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Research and long-term planning jobs

Registered
    Apr 2005

Research and long-term planning jobs

I will be graduating with a Masters in Urban and Regional Planning in the spring of 2008, and focused my coursework in Neighborhood and Regional Planning. As graduation is a mere two semesters away, I'm starting to think more seriously about the career. I am interested in doing research work on neighborhoods and regions, and am particularly with a non-profit or educational institution.

I hear from various people (both within and outside) of the planning profession that a Ph.D. might make a long-term research career in urban issues a possibility. However, I'm reluctant to jump into this track so quickly, especially since I'd be unable to pick up any relevant work experience that would make teaching credible. Plus, I'm not all that thrilled about teaching, and would rather have a more hands on work for a career.

I would enjoy any advice that the folks of Cyburbia nation might have to offer. If you prefer, send a PM.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Planners plan, academics research....

Sounds like you are at one of those forks in life where you need to think about what you really want to do. It wouldn't hurt to have a Ph.D. and be a planner (though it wouldn't particularly help in many places either), but to not have one would seriously hamper an academic career.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Long term rote memory recall
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 20 Apr 2014, 7:17 PM
  2. Long-term career prospects for planners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 12:56 AM
  3. Replies: 2