Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The use of our APA & AICP dues

Registered
    Aug 2001

The use of our APA & AICP dues

APA Signs Memorandum of Understanding with China’s State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs

Anybody think this is a good use of our dues? This could very well be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I'm not even bothering with a poll.

http://blogs.planning.org/apanews/20...xpert-affairs/
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 06 Dec 2014 at 4:35 PM.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Anybody think this is a good use of our dues? This could very well be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I'm not even bothering with a poll.

http://blogs.planning.org/apanews/20...xpert-affairs/
    Ticks me off almost as much as the use of my tax dollars.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Generally I do not support APA's use of our money, but I am confused about why this is so bad. I wouldn't say it is the best use of our money, but it is better than the weak lobbying they do in Congress...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Generally I do not support APA's use of our money, but I am confused about why this is so bad. I wouldn't say it is the best use of our money, but it is better than the weak lobbying they do in Congress...
    I'm not opposed to this either-lots of planners in America work on international projects.

As for lobbying, I can tell you they have the same problem on the national level as we do on the state level. Basically we are a non-partisan organization, meaning we don't give money to either side so basically all we offer is sane advice, professional expertise on planning and infrastructure issues, housing, etc. We have a lobbyist, a good one, but he can only be so effective without a war chest.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Obviously AICP will have more value in China than it will here. W'ere working harder at it over there. Of course the next generation of Chinese planners will have the same problem, a government that doesn't value your opinion and allows things like a little air pollution for the latest Apple factory, but then will blame the planners for all the problems in the city.

Personally I would be much happier if they spent some money on the local chapters or created some best practices that we could use.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    My frustration is we have so many development problems here in the US that we should focus our efforts here. There are massive educational problems with people (developers) who don't understand sustainable development and environmental conservation. Furthermore, working with other groups to team up to create new state regulations pertaining to construction, preservation, and redevelopment would be a far better use of our money. What percentage of APA planners will ever go to China?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Didn't APA do an outreach/student exchange with the Netherlands a couple of years back? As for the way APA spends our due money, SSDD.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Not cool......

While I'm ok with a small amount of international funding.....just to keep up with the rest of the world on paper {good grief....} at least......

I would rather see money spent to support planners at the local level in this country and to foster a grassroots effort aimed at making the economic connection between improved infrastructure, jobs and growth. A partnership with the engineering community that has been out there screaming about or crappy bridges and roads for over a decade now. How about requiring each elected officer to visit 12 local jurisdictions each year as a way to explain the importance of certified and experienced planners. {The One ducks and runs for cover...}

Who can blame them for wanting to go to China? They have the biggest national planning and major spending effort on the planet earth right now.

Yet another national embarrassment for the USA:

Others include:
    1. Income inequality
    2. Wars
    3. Human Rights Issues
    4. Lack of real high speed rail in the Western Hemisphere
    5. Incarceration rates
    6. Citizens United
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post

Others include:
    1. Income inequality
    2. Wars
    3. Human Rights Issues
    5. Incarceration rates
    6. Citizens United
    You forgot bacon and pickles. There seems to be inequality in bacon and pickle distribution in the US.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It seems to me that our dues are mostly used to support a bloated staff that has more interest in puruing interests that are more academic in nature than they are supportive of the members in the trenches.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    What I would love to see is some kind of project database supported by the APA. If you look at ICMA or how engineers do it, there's a lessons learned or just a general statement over a problem and how the community dealt with it. That's part of why I like this forum, if I need advice it's there plus little snark. I'll go back to random thoughts now, this is too much like work.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

There are good people at the chapter and state levels. I'll leave it at that.
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner View post
    On this I will totally agree. Our chapter seems to have something going on at various locations all over the state all the time.

Quote Originally posted by OfficialPlanner View post
    Sometimes. I've seen a real mixed bag.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I went to China in 2003 with an AICP contingent; it was 100% paid for by the Chinese government. I don't think I am too keen on APA/AICP funding much in this new endeavor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    I see you are intimately familiar with China.....

Quote Originally posted by The One View post

Who can blame them for wanting to go to China? They have the biggest national planning and major spending effort on the planet earth right now.

Others include:
    1. Income inequality
    2. Wars
    3. Human Rights Issues
    5. Incarceration rates
    6. Citizens United

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Why are AICP/APA dues insane?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 19 Apr 2011, 4:55 PM
  2. Does your agency pay for your APA/AICP dues?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 43
    Last post: 01 May 2007, 12:50 PM
  3. AICP/APA dues
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Mar 2007, 11:48 AM
  4. APA/AICP dues paid by jurisdiction?
    APA Los Angeles Section (archive)
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Oct 2005, 12:05 AM
  5. AICP dues