Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your perfect job/career

Registered
    Jul 2007

Your perfect job/career

It has been said that if you sit down for 30 seconds to a minute and think about what your perfect job/career would be, than that is what you should do. While I realize this probably has been a topic of discussion before, I am new to Cyburbia and am curious about ya’all. Plus, I think that there are other new folks as well.

So here is the question…. What are your top three perfect jobs/careers (with a bit a commentary)?

For me:

1. Organic Farmer (the long haired hippie-type you might see at the farmers market).
    2. Planner (yes, it’s true)
    3. Forester (I have a serious tree fetish)

And ok no. 4. ____________

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Mine would be:
    1. Real Estate Developer - that is who actually builds cities
    2. City tour guide - I love to educate others about the history of my city
    3. Explorer - unfortuantely very few undiscovered places left in the world
    4. Planner - it's not bad and pays the bills and is a close approximation of a developer
    5. Hot dog stand proprietor - oddly, I think owning a hog dog stand in a high traffic big city downtown near the major tourist areas could be fun.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's been a while since we've had a dream job thread. My choices have changed over time. I would like to be (in no particular order)

- organic gardener. (Wouldn't feel compelled to participate in the weekly vibe exchanges at the commune, though)

- television or screenwriter. In theory it sounds like a fun way to get some of that pent up creativity out and to actually get paid for doing so is icing on the cake.

- voice talent. You know, do voices for cartoons and other voice over work for either radio or movies.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    1. College Professor of Public Administration and Planning
    2. Own & Run a Motorcycle Shop near Big Bend
    3. Independently wealthy developer speciallizing in infill properties, particularly brownfield, with particular interest in affordable housing

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 1998

I definitely lean towards the more creative jobs........

• Professional Chef - I'm a very good cook.
    • Book Editor - this is the career in which I missed my calling. I love to read and edit documents and stuff.
    • Bookstore Owner/Proprietor - I know it's hard to compete with some of the giants, but a lot of smaller bookstores have found their niche market
    • Author - I have millions of stories in my head, just not the dedication to write them down
    • Trends Analyst - I've always been really good at spotting and predicting trends before they took off. This is a skill I could have honed in a fashion or design school.
    • Screenplay Writer - this was my dream job as a child. Reason why I haven't pursued it, same reason why I'm not an author (yet).
    • College English Professor (with tenure of course) - I would teach American literature
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I screwed up 15 years ago on my dream job, when I transferred from KU to UNO. My dream job was to work at HOK Sports in KC. How else, could your marry your love of sports to your love of architecture.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    May 2005
    I'd love to be a small business owner in a thriving urban neighborhood. But just the thought of waking up every morning and walking to my shop, seeing all the other business owners, greeting the regulars.

Now I just have to figure out what the hell I'm going to do or sell at my new business. I've thought of the usual. Coffee shop, bookstore, etc. But I want to do something unique.

1) Dressmaker/Seamstress/Designer of custom clothing

2) Author - Steamy romances, of course!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    1. Professional athlete
    2. Author
    3. Planning Director of a major city

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    But I want to do something unique.
    How about a quick service tapas restaurant? Dine-in, take-out, in 5-7 mins.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Nov 2004
    1. Lottery Winner

2. My current job is pretty great: GIS Programmer
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    In no particular order:

1) professional voice-overs, specifically radio commercials

2) baby-blanket and afghan crochet-er

3) tour guide in European cities

4) professional storyteller

5) radio dj, for jazz or classical music stations
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

1. Park ranger
    2. Author
    3. Commercial pilot

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    1. Cafe owner
    2. Artisan farm owner
    3. Graphic designer
    4. World traveler on someone else's dime
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    An un-financially strapped developer (to build it the right way of course)
    A professional golfer winning one tournament every year (gotta know I'll be playing in the majors and Hawaii each year)
    Proprietor of the highly successful 'Planit Ale House'

(a friend of mine always said he wanted to be the third string punter on a pro football team - all the benefits without getting hit)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2002
    A lot of great ideas here:

1. travel book writer
    2. professor
    3. advocate for an outdoors/green organization
    4. photographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    1. Own my own consulting firm in the pacific northwest focusing on planning and landscape architecture (still my number one career goal, but I am probably about 10-15 years away from that).
    2. Teach site design/landscape architecture at the college level as an adjunct professor (to accompany #1 above).
    3. Author, preferably books on nature or european history.
    4. Congressman.
    5. United States Marine (served in the Guard rose to rank of sargent instead).
    6. Concert pianist (learned piano at 3, took lessons for over 10 years and I still play, but far from professional).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Not this one!

In reality, I have been asking my self that question and wondering if it is possible for me to find my job being a planner... and I think that the answer might be no.

I have always loved a creative aspect of life where I could design something and actually see it come to fruition, however, the in my current job it appears that such an opportunity will not come because of one word... politics. I am reminded on a regular basis that it is an election year and well, nothing f’s up a good plan like politics.

I have been contemplating getting into a development or architectural firm, something that will help me advance my creative skills. I have a design/architecture minor from my undergrad and have worked to incorporate an urban design element into as much as I can.

I don’t know if a private firm will offer me that opportunity however the economic market in Michigan appears to be getting worse, so I don’t foresee any of those jobs opening up anytime soon.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    How about a quick service tapas restaurant? Dine-in, take-out, in 5-7 mins.
    Not a bad idea. I'll file that one away...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    1. talented successful and sane artist
    2. zookeeper
    3. pastry chef/chocolatier
    4. international world traveller
    5. international public health worker
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Public Administration/Planning

I think there is a pattern here
    I love what I do and on occasion have left and did something else for a while, but missed it and always returned. Have no regrets for how I have spent the majority of my adult years. Have been lucky and fortunate to do what I want to do.
    Still remember a seminar years ago that I went to and a cancer survivor was giving a motivational presentation and one thing that he said has stayed with me. If you are contemplating your life one of the saddest things is to say "I wish I would have". That has always stayed with me and when I have wanted to try something else, my family has always supported me. If I decide to try some thing else again, I will discuss it with my family and get their support and do it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    1) B&B owner / host

2) Food critic

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Pro Bike racer by day, touring musician by night.

hands down...great life.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I'd like to be a singer/songwriter, it's just that talent thing standing in my way (I can barely play the F chord).

Small business owner (cafe, specialty soap store, etc)

Social worker (I really missed my calling here, but I just don't want to go back to school!)

As for planning, it's okay. I don't feel like it makes much of a difference, but hey, it pays the bills.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    1) Doggy daycare operator
    2) Independently wealthy
    3) Developer of historic properties
    4) Econ developer
    5) Planner in a progressive city
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Perfect Name
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 13 Jun 2013, 1:31 PM
  2. Perfect suburbs?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 31 Oct 2011, 8:30 AM
  3. The perfect gift