Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Full time or part time?

Registered
    May 2007

Full time or part time?

For those of you who worked full time and went back to school for Planning,
    roughly how many hours did you carry a semester?

in the program 9 hours is considered full time

my advisor recomended only 2 classes at a time,

keep in mind, I'm single with no children
    :)

The present is a gift

Registered
    May 2005
    I took 3 classes one semester working full-time and then 4 plus a lab when I worked part-time. It nearly killed me (though I also have a wife and family). For the remaining three semesters, I did not work a job and took the max for financial aid. I still took on few paying projects on the side, both for experience and money (some were not planning-related). It really sucked, frankly, but I survived.

I think 2-3 classes is do-able full-time, but could still be pretty challenging, depending on the class workload. I feel like when you are going a semester at a time, at least you don't get that dragging sensation that this will go on forever. If 3 ends up being too much, you can shift to 2 the following semester. Plus, you can always drop a class within a certain time period if it just seems too overwhelming.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Worked full time and went to school full time, including summer school. Married and had children.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Depending on class availability, I took 1 or 2 a semester. If I had lived within 15 minutes of the campus, I feel I could have taken 3 and survived.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I took 4 first semester
    3 second semester
    and will be taking 2 a semester from here on out
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2002
    My first semester, I took 3 classes (9 credits) and worked 20 hours a week. After I got used to being back in school, I went up to 12 credits (4 classes) and kept the job. I think it's doable if you work hard. Might make you happier in the long run since you'll finish quicker.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Second half of college: 15-16 hours class (4 courses, full time student with no dependents), 12-15 hours a week (paid planning internship(s) with one semester juggling an additional 5-10 hour a week non-paid planning internship)).

Grad school (4 years school for MLA, MUP, and possibly MUD): saving like heck right now for grad school because I don't plan on working too much (studio will take up too much of my time).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Aug 2008, 10:23 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2008, 6:20 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Jun 2008, 11:46 AM
  4. Confession Time, Part III
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 16 May 2006, 11:58 AM