Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Places that are always hiring

Registered
    Jan 2005

Places that are always hiring

Whether private or public sector, it seems like some places are always advertising the same position. I assume there are a number of explanations for this, such as:

1. They cannot find applicants they want
    2. Nobody wants to work there
    3. They hire people but there is lots of turnover
    3. They are growing in responsibility/workload and are constantly seeking new staff

Can anyone with an inside perspective on this share what is going on in these places?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah I've noticed that, and I'd say it generally has to do with turnover... I'd shy away from them too, from my past experience with a similar situation. Applied, interviewed, accepted and later left... Usually there is a reason people aren't sticking around and if you can figure out why before hand and don't take issue with it then maybe it wouldn't be bad, but I'll shy away from places like that in the future.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I cannot remember the name of the town (fortunately), but...I did not make the short list. About 6 months later, I got a letter from them asking me to re-apply. Only this time they demanded access to any and all psychological records. Hmmm, must have picked a real winner the first time around.

Registered
    Feb 2007

Tough to find good hires...

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Whether private or public sector, it seems like some places are always advertising the same position. I assume there are a number of explanations for this, such as:

1. They cannot find applicants they want
    2. Nobody wants to work there
    3. They hire people but there is lots of turnover
    3. They are growing in responsibility/workload and are constantly seeking new staff

Can anyone with an inside perspective on this share what is going on in these places?
    My firm has constantly advertised for positions in my office and some of our other offices around the state, and we have run into issue #1 and #4. In particular, we have advertised for a senior planner in my office and cannot get the type of quality applicant we are seeking. Even though we are in a slowdown in the housing sector, or public safety sector is booming with lots of public projects, and we always seem to find new work in our planning division. I guess it doesn't help that 3 of our offices are in high cost of living areas (San Luis Obispo, Orange County, the Bay Area), while the other is in a place in California that doesn't seem desirable to many applicants (go figure, it happens to be the office i am at, the Central Valley, but i call it "greater bay area" since we are so darn close to it!). I guess the old adage good help is hard to find.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've found that it is always dude to turnover...

1 comes in, 2 go out.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Large firms/agencies will always have some turnover, so they alway need people. Now if it is a small firm/agency and they are alway advertising, that would be a definite sign that something is wrong there. It could be management, pay, workload, politics, or something else, but definitely something.
    "Future events such as these will affect you in the future."

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Anyone know the hiring process of NYC DEP
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Mar 2014, 7:35 PM
  2. NYC HHC Hiring Process?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Mar 2013, 1:22 PM
  3. Busch is Hiring