Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Projects/public housing: how to deal with them?

Registered
    Aug 2006

People also make places

Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    I think it’s pretty well-established that, although particularly poor urban design can exacerbate the effects of criminality and, especially, widespread low civil consciousness/vandalism, certainly it’s not something that is caused by or can be eliminated or even greatly improved by architects/planners. Architectural determinism is a fond dream, no more. I’ve PERSONALLY seen areas that were absolutely nasty turn around in a couple of years as they’ gentrified’. It ain’t the buildings/street patterns; it’s the people.
    I fully agree with Luca. Berlin's eastern districts - most built with huge projects to the drab standards of the DDR (or GDR for deutsche-philes) - have no more crime than anywhere else in that city. What they have been doing, almost immediately after the Berlin Wall fell is to add color with paint and dense landscaping. I have quite a few pictures of the Kaulsdorf District - contact me if you'd like to see a few - I don't have a website.

The older parts of the Berlin city center are more decayed with plenty of graffiti on walls and rolling window covers, but even these areas seemed totally safe around the clock. In my own western Washington neighborhood, graffiti is an invitation to further (gang-related) property damage and physical violence. It's the people.
    Last edited by Wildono; 07 Aug 2007 at 5:13 PM. Reason: Contact for images
    "That guy handles the puck like a cow handles a gun!" - Mike Lange

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Has anybody thought to put Katrina Cottages as infill development and use it as public housing? I realize this won't work in places that are incredibly dense like New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc, but in most cities it would work pretty well. Houston has undertaken a project along similar lines, and while I don't have any links to send anyone to, it'd be worth looking up.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    This is a good link for Katrina Cottages:

http://www.katrinacottages.com/index.html

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Aug 2008, 9:29 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 08 May 2008, 10:46 AM
  3. Replies: 1