Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking garage construction costs

Registered
    Aug 2001

Parking garage construction costs

Can anyone give me a some recent numbers on the cost of parking structure construction?

I am looking specifically for 1-2-3 levels above ground.

And I am also looking at the possiblity of a single level, below ground, but about 10 acres in size to have 3-4 story buildings above.

Thanks
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Jul 2006
    According to buildingteamforecast.com its nearly $38 per square foot for a parking garage on the surface, and roughly $60 per square foot underground parking.

I say browse through the website, www.buildingteamforecast.com for more info.
    Today's classic was yesterday's innovation. -Landry

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't have one for a below grade garage, but you might pull some breakdown from this garage currently under construction at Texas State University:

Total bid: $14.9 million
    Garage Portion of bid: about $13.7 million based on an earlier bid
    Number of spaces: 721
    Floors: 4? one of which is partially below grade.

Cost per space: $19,000

Renderings:
    Picture 1
    Picture 2

Comments:

Project also includes landscape garden, bus shelters and major pedestrian connections. The bids missed the estimated cost by about 44%. There was very little room for value engineering given the standards in the Campus Master Plan. Cement and structural steel costs are through the roof around here. Also, this garage had some dressing up done on it

I think that the single story with buildings on top may be cheaper, but that is purely gut instinct. Basically, you are turning building basements into parking, so it wouldn't seem like there would be a bunch of reengineering if you were planning basements anyway. EDIT: Based on RTG's comments below, I could be completely wrong...
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 31 Jul 2007 at 4:09 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    $12-15k per space for the barebones garage aboveground, $25-30k underground. The aboveground matches well with MM's number shown $/SF above, but the underground is higher. Will vary by region, commodities prices, and efficiency of garage.

Recently helped with a 750-space 3-level underground garage with 70,000 SF building on top. Total project was $33 million, not sure of the breakout. But would fit for $30k per space plus $10Mil for the building.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Depends a lot on the cost of land, labor, etc., in your area. Around here its about $20K per space above ground (more if you need lots of levels to make it work) and $50K or so per space for underground (the ocean is nearby and the watertable is a problem...)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Cost to build a parking garage
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 6:00 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 Sep 2010, 11:22 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Nov 2008, 7:29 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 10:15 PM