Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: The New American Village - are you living it?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 90-100 I am APA Planner of the Year, baby

5 19.23%
  • 70-90 just a little on the outskirts - a good bike will do ya fine

2 7.69%
  • 50-70 - let's hope you at least own a Prius

4 15.38%
  • 25-50 - uh, living the dream, are you?

8 30.77%
  • 1-25 - complete planning loser or you are a geeky hermit who is off the grid

7 26.92%
  • I live in my car

0 0%
  • what is this walking of which you are speaking?

0 0%
  • a more catchy answer below

0 0%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Walk Score

Walk Score

Have you seen this web site? It has been slow at times because of all the traffic but it is quite fun to look up your address and find your score. It is not clear what formula they use.

I (or should I say my condo) got a 96!

/www.walkscore.com

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I noticed several mistakes in the coding of things. For example, a movie theatre that is 15 miles from me is shown as being within walking distance and coded to a totally different location.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I scored a 12. Hey, I live in the suburbs.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I scored a 19. I live on the outer edge of a hamlet (former village).
    Last edited by SGB; 01 Aug 2007 at 9:48 AM.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    68 for my place. I think it's low for how walkable the neighborhood is....

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Our new house scored a 20 out of 100, but it counted a bunch of things in the wrong category (ex. a coffee distributor as a coffee shop) and missed the fish market at the entrance to the neighborhood. Everything on the list is about one mile from the house. This would be considered bikeable but not walkable for the average American.

Our old apartment downtown scored 77 out of 100. Of course it counted the crappy bodegas as grocery stores. In reality there is no grocery store within walking distance.

The condo in Boston rated 80 out of 100. Seems about right. Almost everything possible was within walking distance there, including a beach, university, presidential library, massive park, library, subway station, and all kinds of ethnic markets.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    my home receieved a fairly high score (67) which I think is correct but a park that is 100km away was listed as being in walking distance, a law office was listed as retail...

my childhood home recieved a lower score (40) but I would consider it to be in a much more walkable neighbourhood.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Interesting website. I got a 62 which is sort of low considering how walkable my neighborhood is and all of the amenities in the area. My old neighborhood got a 58 which is way more suburban and nowhere near as walkable as my current neighborhood. I think their methodology is a bit shady.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My current address is a 20 but is probably nearer to a 10 in reality given the danger of walking to things less than a mile away. I also noticed that things were coded weirdly.

My previous house in SC scored a 16 but missed the grocery store across the street and 2/3 schools on the same road and a bunch of other things in a 1 mile radius. I think it's more like a 25.

My old apartment in Portland, OR scored a 69 but missed the huge retail complex directly across the street from it, although there were a few of the small retailers listed in the mix. I never drove living there because I walked to work and lived on two great bus lines with service to downtown.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I am not much a fan of the site. I live walking distance to downtown, and it only gave me a 66! There are some aspects that they did not include and others that they did which I don’t agree with. As an example, it does not list churches or religious originations. It called a ghetto liquor store a “Grocery Store” even though I don’t think that I would buy a loaf of bread there, and in some cases, it has calculated a direct distance from the house to a point, when in reality you need to talk three miles to cross the freeway, and three miles back up to the store.

I think it is a start, but could be improved on.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Oct 2005
    This website is really just a gimmick. It takes no terrain or natural features into account. I tested a place near a river and no bridge near the area and it was getting results across the river as walkable. The website should really be called, how many services are within 1 mile of your location.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I made it a Site of the Day on Monday,

My house scored a 55; better than I expected. (It's a few blocks from the center of an inner ring suburb that developed between 1920 and 1960.)

I miss my little bungalow in Denver. Its walkability score is 88. Looks like there's a lot of new stores and restaurants that opened in the area; gentrification is probably responsible for that. It's now within walking distance of two Starbucks.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    49 out of 100. Seems about right. Things are close enough where you can walk things if you need to, but they're far enough where most people just drive.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It certainly has faults, but is still fun.

My house: 20 (should have been lower)

My office: 82 (should be higher, missed a few close items)

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    88 for my place. Only thing I can think that is missing is a liquor store

my place of employment is 57, which is much higher than I would have expected.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    73 for the current abode (loft condo)...think that is a bit low, seems like all the services listed are within 0.5 km except for a movie cinema and library. The library listed is the "National Aerial Photography Library". Cool, but not very useful on an everyday basis! There definitely seems to be some odd services listed, and other services that could or should be included (like access to transit). I'd also like to see if there could be some sort of "aggregator" feature which totaled up the number of each type of service within walk distance.

The new house we're moving to in October scored higher - 83. I would think it would be higher...geez, we'll only be a 20 minute walk from the Parliament Buildings!

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    I got a javascript error, which must obviously indicate that my place is off the scale for walkability...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I got an 8, all you planning snobs can shove it!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Scored a 96, but I'd give my place a 100.

Funny note though - it listed an adult store called "Good Vibrations" as a grocery store.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I got a 62/100. I live in a suburban village outside of Buffalo. Which is actually higher than a good deal of locations within the city of Buffalo. I noticed a company called "movie experts" counted as a theatre, an office building as a hardware store, and the community college bookstore as well a real bookstore. Distances are closer than I thought but as someone mentioned its aerial distance which isn't very useful when walking.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    Scored a 96, but I'd give my place a 100.

Funny note though - it listed an adult store called "Good Vibrations" as a grocery store.
    Hey, edible undies... seems legit to me!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    78 for my house - seems about right
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    55, largely due to some central city disinvestment.

Registered
    May 2005
    72 for my place. However, the data is a little behind the times. We have two additional restaurants, an arts center (where I work - one and a half blocks from the house) and a park that don't appear on the map. At the same time, there are some institutions and businesses that don't exist where they say. It probably balances out in the end. I'm happy with 72.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear, gentle bruinish resident of Swanton, OH, scored 32. They did not include our regular bar, Hub's, only 2 city blocks away.....certainly I would have scored higher, because the bar on the list is much farther.

Just think, in a couple more years they can simplify this test by just having a bar, a restaurant, and a full-service Wal-Mart.

Bear Ducking
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. What is your Cyburbian Score?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 17 Dec 2012, 11:59 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 03 Jan 2012, 8:42 PM