Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wives Tales, Myths, and Urban Legends.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Wives Tales, Myths, and Urban Legends.

If you drink room temperature water, you will stay cooler in hot, humid weather.
    *not true, cooler water well help to keep your body temperature from rising.

In NYC, there are alligators in the sewers.
    TRUE... kind of... back in the 30’s there was a person who brought a small pet alligator back from FL, and when it got too big they let it loose in the sewers. Because of the steam, it stayed warm, ate rats, and grew. A few months later, some kid was reaching into a grate and got big. They hunted the alligator down and killed it, but it made the news... That was the only one.

What wives tales, myths, and urban legends do you know of? Are they true or false?
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    "If you keep doing that you will go blind!" This has got to be a myth...(Although I recently had to buy strong glasses and a braile keyboard).
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Aug 2006
    If you are interested in urban legends, you should check out www.snopes.com
    They research urban legends and let you know what's true and what's not.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Snopes is usually my initial go-to place when I wish to investigate an urban legend or wive's tale.

I don't know about you, but reading this thread fills me with the urge to go to the bathroom. I'll make sure to clean off the toilet seat real thoroughly first, though - don't want to catch the Clap, you know!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    You don't grow up in Southern Appalachia without hearing all kinds of wives tales. Apparently, like the tides, everything from when to plant different crops, to when you should have surgery or the temperament of your newborn is determined by different lunar cycles. There are literally dozens of wives tales I heard from various family member growing up, which strikes me as odd since these are by and large religiously conservative people who hold beliefs that anthropologist would be inclined to categorize as folk magic.

As for urban legends, I think that's a whole different subject that probably deserves a separate thread. I just know that I'll be using snopes a lot now that election season is fast approaching. I can't wait to have to look up substantiating evidence when I get that first mass email about Obama being in a terrorist sleeper cell, or Hillary eating babies.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Creole/Voodoo Wives Tale, Myth...or just all around BS

Women - if you want to ensure that your man remains faithful to you, mix a bit of your "womanly flow" in his spaghetti sauce. I don't know of any women who've stooped to such a low, but I know some guys who are pretty leery of spaghetti sauce.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit View post
    As for urban legends, I think that's a whole different subject that probably deserves a separate thread. I just know that I'll be using snopes a lot now that election season is fast approaching. I can't wait to have to look up substantiating evidence when I get that first mass email about Obama being in a terrorist sleeper cell, or Hillary eating babies.
    Hey Mskis - did you hear that Hillary eats babies?!?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    My wife doesn't use the phone during a storm. It's something that her Mom told her not to do growing up. I tried to tell her that the phone and the electricity are completely separate systems.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    My wife doesn't use the phone during a storm. It's something that her Mom told her not to do growing up. I tried to tell her that the phone and the electricity are completely separate systems.
    Actually, I think they tested this on the Discovery Channel program Mythbusters, and found that you can get shocked by using the phone during a storm... Anyone else remember this episode? I love that show.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    For a good read on this topic look up teh big book of urban legends. it is a graphic novel and is pretty good and funny to read.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Actually, I think they tested this on the Discovery Channel program Mythbusters, and found that you can get shocked by using the phone during a storm... Anyone else remember this episode? I love that show.
    That show's a bit sciency for my taste- I like to know if particular events ever happened, (the serial killer who slashes girls' achilles tendons, etc)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I heard of this urban legend where mskis spelled every word he posted correctly.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    ......A few months later, some kid was reaching into a grate and got big. They hunted the alligator down and killed it, but it made the news...

I guess that myth is busted.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    I heard of this urban legend where mskis spelled every word he posted correctly.
    Don't be too quick to discount that urban legend, I believe every word was spelled correctly even if it wasn't the word he intended to use. Ma finners don aways het te rat keys eider.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

"I heard the owl hoot"
    Means you cheated death

Heard this a few times when I was growing up but have never heard it since
    Do not have the desire to find out if it is true
    My county of origin are a superstitious people

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    A few false myths:
    Humans can significantly alter the climate
    9/11 was the work of our own government
    The government intentionally spies on the telephone conversations of non-suspicious civilians
    Stepping on a crack will break your mother's back
    That some sort of "curse" exists that prevents the Cubs from winning the World Series.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    Having had my telephone blasted twice during lightning storms, I'm inclined to follow North Omaha Star's mother in law's advice.

But seriously, are all myths false by definition? ... if so, is a "false myth" true? I heard somewhere that snopes.com itself is an urban legend.

And having been in the guy's change room after a football game, I'm inclined to believe that humans can affect the climate!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Does anyone even use corded phones at home anymore? I would be very surprised.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    A few false myths:
    Humans can significantly alter the climate
    Is that intended to be bait? Is Al Gore on here?

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist View post
    Is that intended to be bait? Is Al Gore on here?
    I agree, I think we should just pretend we didn't hear that...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Yep, I do. They still work when the power goes out, whereas cordless phones don't. Not a very common occurrence, but after we got stuck without a phone for a few days in the big blackout a few years back, we've made sure to keep on corded phone around.

Registered
    May 2005
    I do, too. In fact, we have two (and one is a rotary ). We also have a cordless, but yes, the corded phone works when the power goes out and it was only a buck at the thrift store. It has one of those 800 foot long cords so you can get all tangled up in the kitchen, fall, and hurt yourself. Great fun.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Yes. We don't have a single cordless phone in our house. They work perfectly well.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Here are a few....

"Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning." Probably some truth to this, relative to atmospheric conditions, etc.

"Look at how big his feet are. You know what that means." Probably some truth to this, relative to a just-plain larger body.

"He'll ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston." Ask The Kingston Trio.

"In Toledo they roll up the sidewalks at 6:00 PM." Not true. They roll them up at 5:00 PM.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    More folk wisdom:

- If onion skins are very thin, then winter's mild when coming in, but if onion skins are thick and tough, winter comes in cold and rough
    - lucky in cards unlucky in love
    - if she smokes she pokes

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    Actually, this one is true, as Mud Princess noted. There is a small current running through the phone lines, but I think the main issue is that it consists of wires and so if lightning strikes a telephone pole, those wires may transmit the charge long the lines. I knos I blw out a modem some years ago during a storm.

Here is the Snopes page: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/phone.asp

They say at least one person is killed a year from lightning while talking on the phone (worldwide? in the US? they don't really say...)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Local Legends
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Aug 2011, 3:03 PM
  2. Starting bogus urban legends
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 29 Jun 2011, 12:41 PM